Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers for V8 cars, Please read

Old 11-24-03, 09:13 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DaveGS4, You should take deposits. I remember Manaray got burned when he arranged a great buy on the AC kit, and all the people that committed, no longer had the money.
Old 11-24-03, 09:44 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by aliga
DaveGS4, You should take deposits. I remember Manaray got burned when he arranged a great buy on the AC kit, and all the people that committed, no longer had the money.
i'm debating on this item and waiting 4 more sound info but agree that a deposit would b good 2 garrantee the minimal amount needed .
Old 11-24-03, 10:22 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

PLEASE READ:
Guys, for those wanting in on this deal PLEASE... thoroughly READ the entire 1st post. If you still have questions either post here or PM me. When you understand how important good headers are and have decided to join this project PLEASE fill out the form and PM to me. This allows me to keep track of how many people as well as email with all the updates and details.

As others have pointed out a deposit would be completely reasonable but incredibly not requested. Please respect this and only commit if you plan on buying them when they are built.

SOUND/NOISE:

Originally posted by jmecbr900
If you can assure me that my car will not sound like a truck with dual exhausts, Count me in.

Seriously, I want freer flowing but will not sacrifice the quietness for it.
I commented already "Louder will not be an issue. These are shortys which like the stock manifolds do not have as much area as long tube headers to resonate so the external sound change should be very small. The rest of the exhaust system will determine how loud the final system is and that will depend on individual muffler choice."

Sound will be VERY close to stock headers EXCEPT under full throttle because they will be flowing more and the engine will be making more power and therefore more sound. BUT... how LOUD the system is will be determined by muffler choice. If you want it quieter you can go with a quieter muffler and vice versa. As the 1st post states... on a GS400 or 98+ LS400/SC400 you can keep the stock exhaust system. Not advised but can be done. These on a stock exhaust system would for all intents be undetectable sound wise.

So, do not let sound worry you. If we get VERY lucky and end up with a 10% power increase, 30hp, there will be 10% more sound at the header collecter at FULL throttle. This 10% goes into the rest of the system and that is marginal. Trust me. I have ran my LS400 with only the cats, the Y pipe and center resonator and it is LOUD. VERY VERY LOUD. It is NOT the headers... it is the exhaust system AFTER the headers. At idle the car sounded like a Corvette, very sweet, at anything more it sounded like a race car.

ONE MORE TIME: please fill out the commitment form.

Thanks,

John Brady
Old 11-24-03, 06:00 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is definately a big step in the right direction for our cars! Sounds very interesting, and the price is very reasonable. What kind of install prices could one expect? If this is something I should research myself by making calls I will (and if this is the case sorry for being lazy), but obviously there aren't too many shops that have put headers on our V8's. Any estimates? Thanks guys...
Old 11-24-03, 10:14 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Question CARB legal?

Sounds great, but will they be CARB certified (or exempt)? I kinda doubt it-this takes a lot of time and money I believe.
For those in Cali, this is always an issue...
BTW, I know that the 3.2 V-6 Acura engines often see 20-30 HP from a good set of headers (i.e. Comptech etc.) so that amount or more is certainly possible. Especially with a high flow intake of some kind and a less restrictive cat back exhaust.
Can the stock ECU compensate for the increased flow...?

Last edited by FutureGS400; 11-24-03 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 11:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Since the manufacturer is not based in CA, I assume these will not be CARB certified.
Old 11-25-03, 12:40 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

CARB exemption doesnt really matter, no cop is going to dig into the engine of a lexus, and even if he does the headers arent terribley noticable. as long as you pass smog and keep sound under 95dB youre good to go.
Old 11-25-03, 08:22 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS4ADRLexo
Wow, this is definately a big step in the right direction for our cars! Sounds very interesting, and the price is very reasonable. What kind of install prices could one expect? If this is something I should research myself by making calls I will (and if this is the case sorry for being lazy), but obviously there aren't too many shops that have put headers on our V8's. Any estimates? Thanks guys...
Installation is expected to be difficult. How difficult we will not know until we actually get into the project. On the earlier cars, pre 1998, the installation is much more known as several people have installed the Tex headers from Australia. On post 1998 cars the biggest problem is removing the stock manifolds. A big problem is almost NOBODY has ever done it. Mo at SRT told me over a year ago that the engine needs to be removed

I have worked on MANY MANY engines and believe that we should be able to gain access by removing the motor mounts but NOT the engine. Trust me, I am NOT going to pull my engine. If we find that we must for 1998+ cars... this project will most likely focus on the earlier cars engines. Again, I have a 1999 LS400 and am NOT going to pull my engine but feel that installation can be done from beneath the car on a lift. Remember, we are not taking deposits and therefore nobody is at risk here. We must TRY to fix the problem of restrictive manifolds and this is the WAY to do it.

Again, the unknown installation problem is removing the manifolds from the 1998+ cars. We KNOW that we can remove the manifolds from earlier cars. Once the manifolds are off installation will not be a problem. I personally took pictures of the manifolds from a 1998+ car. You can review some of those pictures here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=air+box

DO NOT let this unknown stop you from committing to a set of headers. You will not be expected to buy anything if the engine needs to be removed. BUT if you UNDERSTAND the importance of these manifolds to allow our cars to remain competitive as Nissan and other manufactures keep releasing faster and faster cars... PLEASE support this effort and sign up for headers. No risk to you at all.
Old 11-25-03, 08:34 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Default Re: CARB legal?

Originally posted by FutureGS400
Sounds great, but will they be CARB certified (or exempt)? I kinda doubt it-this takes a lot of time and money I believe.
For those in Cali, this is always an issue...
BTW, I know that the 3.2 V-6 Acura engines often see 20-30 HP from a good set of headers (i.e. Comptech etc.) so that amount or more is certainly possible. Especially with a high flow intake of some kind and a less restrictive cat back exhaust.
Can the stock ECU compensate for the increased flow...?
You are correct. We are not planning to get these CARB approved at this time. That is an expensive prospect and will need a high product demand to make it reasonable. That said shorty headers for many cars are CARB approved so if we find the demand is there the approval process should be assured.

As pointed out, on a 1998+ the likelyhood of these even being NOTICED is remote. They should not effect the emissions in any way. On earlier cars, people may choose to mount the cats beneath the cars and that could catch a techs attention. Still, this is a low probability but understand that like all non emissions certified parts these will be sold as parts "for off road use only"

I am not an expert on California emissions law but I believe that individual cars can be certified. If someone feels strongly enough about this they could probably have this done. Again, these headers will not effect the emissions on a 1998+ vehicle for the ranges tested.

AS FAR AS the ECU compensating... a 30hp gain would only require a 10% compensation in fuel flow. I am unaware of ANY car coming from the factory with an inability to compensate at least 10%. Engineers must anticipate a range of operating conditions and in fact engineer the ECU programming to be able to adapt to certain extreme operating posibilities. This applies to ALL cars sold. Now if we pick up 100hp we are talking a different game.
Old 11-25-03, 08:44 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: CARB legal?

Originally posted by jbrady

AS FAR AS the ECU compensating... a 30hp gain would only require a 10% compensation in fuel flow. I am unaware of ANY car coming from the factory with an inability to compensate at least 10%. Engineers must anticipate a range of operating conditions and in fact engineer the ECU programming to be able to adapt to certain extreme operating posibilities. This applies to ALL cars sold. Now if we pick up 100hp we are talking a different game.
I KNOW from experience that the ECU has a negative parameter of -35%. I'm not sure what the positive compensation ability is because I've never had my car run lean. I suspect that it less than 35% though. 10% should be just fine though.
Old 11-25-03, 09:52 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: CARB legal?

Originally posted by jmecbr900
I KNOW from experience that the ECU has a negative parameter of -35%. I'm not sure what the positive compensation ability is because I've never had my car run lean. I suspect that it less than 35% though. 10% should be just fine though.
Good information. I agree that the ability to compensate for a 35% power increase would be unlikely but 10-15% is not a worry.
Old 11-25-03, 10:15 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Great info guys! I really appreciate the level of discussion here at CL (as opposed to other forums I've been on)!
My concern with passing smog is not a cop peeking at my engine and writing me a ticket, but for the bi-annual smog check process. I understand that the headers would not in themselves increase the smog output of the car, but if a tech catches the mod and won't pass the car based on the visual inspection portion of the test-you are seriously out of luck. Just a word of caution for those in Cali.
That said-it may be worth the risk to run the headers and hope nobody catches it or maybe you know of a smog test facility that is less "picky" about those kinds of things (I do )
Thanks for all the work on this jbrady-I'm anxious to see the outcome!
Old 11-25-03, 10:40 AM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Count me IN!!!

jbrady, you've got a PM
Old 11-25-03, 01:51 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

John:

You have had my commitment from the infancy of your commitment request
All I say is, GET THEM DONE MAN, ASAP!!!!!!! :thumbup

I want one of the first sets off the production line...if I lived in Phoenix, you would have my car. Florida is a bit far...:

I have no problem with a deposit.

Ryan

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-25-03 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-25-03, 06:44 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

I'm in, but where is this "commitment" place everyone talks about.

J....just add my name to the list as "in".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers for V8 cars, Please read