Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Injen Intake Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 11:45 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injen Intake Installed

I received my Injen intake a couple of days ago and I finally got around to getting the thing installed. I got a pretty good deal on it used (thanks to Hamid for prompt shipping). There is no way anyone can get me to pay the $220+ list price for this intake.

The install was pretty much straight forward. Simply undo all the hoses, unbolt the stock intake box and piping, seperate the MAF sensor, bolt the Injen intake with the MAF sensor back into the car, and reattach those hoses. The whole process took me a whopping 20 minutes. The hardest part was actually removing the stock vacuum line from the fitting on the head. The vacuum line was fused to the fitting from all the heat under there.

After the install, I took the car for a test drive. I wasnt expecting much since I was just bolting on an intake onto a stock car. Guess what? I didnt receive much either. Maybe the car was a little more responsive, but I think all the power it made came from my imagination. At normal cruising, the motor sounds pretty much stock, thanks to all the sound deadening material Lexus puts into their cars. When you go about 3/4 - full throttle you can actually hear the engine roar! (sarcasm). hehe, its all just noise. I was thinking about taking out the stock airbox resonator and rigging some dryer hose to get some cold air going into the intake, but im too lazy. Well at least I have more aggressive sounding engine, plus something nice and shiny to showoff if ever someone asks to see what I got under the hood. Not to mention its another mod I can add to my list.

Here are some pics...

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 10-25-03 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-26-03, 05:40 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Now all you gotta do is make a shiny aluminum box to cover that.
Old 10-26-03, 06:20 PM
Seismic
Rookie

Default stock resonator...

I believe it was the planet soarter site that I read of some tests that were done reguarding the resonator...

Bottom line was performance decrease by removing the resonator, not to mention big noise increase...
Old 10-27-03, 03:05 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

True. But to help everyone feel better the resonator would only increase torque at lower rpms. So with a straight through pipe there would be horsepower gains at the higher rpms because the intake flow would smooth out due to the high frequency of valve openings. Plus on an sc300 the resonator wouldn't be as important compared to the sc400, but it still is.

BTW, at a certain speed the BFI would create boost inside the piping so a resonator wouldn't be needed at that speed.