Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

newbie questions (are oil squirters THAT important?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 08:16 AM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions

i've searched

does the oil squirters for the pistons make that much of a difference, can't you just put those components as a mod?

why do people swap their engine when they have the mighty 2jz in NA form?
Old 10-14-03, 08:21 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Close! if you'd just put this in the engine forum i'd gave you a cookie

hopefully someone can help soon.
Old 10-14-03, 09:59 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

anyone
Old 10-21-03, 10:22 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Dunno, but I'm kidna wondering the same thing...
Sorry I can't be of any help.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-21-03 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-21-03, 01:04 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys may tell you otherwise, I feel they're very usefull in cooling the piston, but big hp has been made without them. Yes, you can modify the GE block for oil squirters, but most don't bother since a new GTE shortblock is so reasonably priced.
Old 10-21-03, 06:44 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Guys may tell you otherwise, I feel they're very usefull in cooling the piston, but big hp has been made without them. Yes, you can modify the GE block for oil squirters, but most don't bother since a new GTE shortblock is so reasonably priced.
Define "reasonably priced" please...lol Is the engine swap REALLY worth the time, effort, and money as opposed to drilling?
Old 10-21-03, 07:03 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with Lex on this one. Oil squirters *are* that important.

No one has put 1k crank hp on a stock NA short block, but it's been done on a stock TT short block which is proof enough for me.

You can't under estimate pulling heat out of the piston. It increases the strength of the piston due to lower operating temperatures. The TT piston also benefits from an oil gallery that is cast into the top of the piston just under the "dish". The oil enters one hole and exits another hole diameterically opposed from the entry point. Installing squirters on the NA shortblock probably won't hurt, but you'll only get the full benefit if you have TT pistons to go along with the squirters. Otherwise, you'll just end up squirting oil onto the NA piston wrist pin.

Methanol/water injection in the intake air has been proposed as an alternative to oil cooled pistons, but until someone puts 1k hp with meth injection only on an NA shortblock, I'm not a believer. For those of us running high boost on an NA motor, however, it's the only option right now.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 10-21-03 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 07:03 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
Define "reasonably priced" please...lol Is the engine swap REALLY worth the time, effort, and money as opposed to drilling?
Not in my case, as I got a new NA shortblock for ~$700.
Old 10-21-03, 08:28 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally posted by motorheaddown
I'm with Lex on this one. Oil squirters *are* that important.

No one has put 1k crank hp on a stock NA short block, but it's been done on a stock TT short block which is proof enough for me.

You can't under estimate pulling heat out of the piston. It increases the strength of the piston due to lower operating temperatures. The TT piston also benefits from an oil gallery that is cast into the top of the piston just under the "dish". The oil enters one hole and exits another hole diameterically opposed from the entry point. Installing squirters on the NA shortblock probably won't hurt, but you'll only get the full benefit if you have TT pistons to go along with the squirters. Otherwise, you'll just end up squirting oil onto the NA piston wrist pin.

Methanol/water injection in the intake air has been proposed as an alternative to oil cooled pistons, but until someone puts 1k hp with meth injection only on an NA shortblock, I'm not a believer. For those of us running high boost on an NA motor, however, it's the only option right now.

-scott

You make a good point, but honestly though I don't really think many people here will be trying to achieve 1k at the crank. I'd say that if you were doing upto like 800 hp or less you would be ok using the na block and save alot of time and money on the swap.
Old 10-21-03, 10:03 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally posted by Slasher48
Not in my case, as I got a new NA shortblock for ~$700.
NA being the 1JZ or 2JZ? Technically neither one are turboed in the short-block form, hence I'm a wee bit confused... lol. Where did you get it??

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-21-03 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 11:01 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
NA being the 1JZ or 2JZ? Technically neither one are turboed in the short-block form, hence I'm a wee bit confused... lol. Where did you get it??
2JZ-GE. Was a spare from a Lexus Dealership.

Mike
Old 10-22-03, 12:08 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the word I'm hearing is that oil squirters become detrimental at high high horsepower. At 2000 degrees, oil begins to cook against the walls.
Old 10-22-03, 12:10 AM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Idea.

Get to 700rwhp then worry about oil squirters.
Old 10-22-03, 12:15 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexkid
Idea.

Get to 700rwhp then worry about oil squirters.
I think the point is the cost-benefit of drilling squirters in the NA motor as opposed to starting with a GTE swap. I wouldn't trust any off-the-shelf engine mechanic to mimic a carbon copy of the Toyota assembly line's squirter specs, but maybe I misunderstand the difficulty of the job.
Old 10-22-03, 05:29 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

...Get to 700rwhp then worry about oil squirters.
... I wouldn't trust any off-the-shelf engine mechanic to mimic a carbon copy of the Toyota assembly line's squirter specs, but maybe I misunderstand the difficulty of the job.
I agree with both of you. Get above 700hp, get a GTE block unless your NA block is built, and *never* try to install oil squirters on an NA block. It's not worth it.

-scott

Quick Reply: newbie questions (are oil squirters THAT important?)