Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

motor trouble (valve problem)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-03, 12:00 AM
LaDyLuCk13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor trouble

i just got back from the shop and what i thought was an ignition problem turned out to be a valve problem. my mechanic says i need a valve job cause my valves are leakin oil. and my car is really runnin like ish right now. so i need help.

one i can either pay 1700 for the valve job.... or should i buy the twin turbo motor? btw, my car is manual, and how much would it cost for a twin turbo motor? any hook ups?

thanks!!!
Old 10-12-03, 06:41 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on your post count and q, it's kinda obvious you're new to the forum... Welcome!

Here's some info you might find useful; but in the future, please search first. Also, use supraforums.com and mkiv.com as great resources for finding answers to your questions. But please search first.

I'm assuming you have a 2jz motor since you've consider a GTE swap. If you do, then the valve stem replacement can be done with the motor and head in place to fix the oil leaking problem: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/valve_stem/index.html

However, I first suggest you perform a dry and wet compression test to assess the general condition of the motor. It will give you an idea of the condition of the valve seats and piston ring seal in the cylinders.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 10-12-03 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-12-03, 07:02 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Scott said, stem seals aren't all that bad of a replacement job for a competent shop. Find a dealer or shop that has the tool to snag those seals out without pulling the head. You'll be looking at half the shop time if they go that route. $1700 seems high, even if they do pull the head.

I'd shop around.
Old 10-12-03, 09:46 PM
LaDyLuCk13
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys!!! yea, i'm new to the forum... hahaha.. yea, i'm still looking around for better prices
Old 10-12-03, 10:02 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, its always great to see girl SC owners out there...REALLY SEXY!
Old 10-16-03, 01:10 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: motor trouble

Originally posted by LaDyLuCk13
i just got back from the shop and what i thought was an ignition problem turned out to be a valve problem. my mechanic says i need a valve job cause my valves are leakin oil. and my car is really runnin like ish right now. so i need help.

one i can either pay 1700 for the valve job.... or should i buy the twin turbo motor? btw, my car is manual, and how much would it cost for a twin turbo motor? any hook ups?

thanks!!!
I am using my leaky front midpipe as an excuse to the the motor swap. The front midpipe is about 1000 dollars to replace so I figured I can slap in a downpipe when I turbo my motor and save money. It's a good way to push yourself into getting a a turbo. Either way expect to spend more than 5000 bucks on doing either the engine swap or turbo kit.

Chris
Old 10-16-03, 10:13 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah we've done a few Supras with that same problem, had to get the tools but at least it can be done without pulling the head.

If you have no luck let me know we can do it here...for less than 1700 bucks at least!
Old 10-18-03, 02:57 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ladyluck:

(buy the twin turbo) actually.....i told you already what to do with it i think
Old 10-18-03, 09:19 AM
suprang
Rookie

2jz's seem to go through valve stem seals faster than 7ms go through headgaskets
Old 10-20-03, 10:26 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

I was jus lurking....errr, looking ... around the forums and saw this. Yes, it is nice to see a female who's into high HP! Also, how much (just a VERy rough estimate will do) does the twin turbo engine swap cost? Not the labor, jus the engine w/turbos... can't afford it, but I can dream, right?
Oh, I also have a crappy seals... I think. Havn't done he tests, but all signs point to them (as opposed to the rings, that is).

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-20-03 at 10:28 PM.