Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So who has done the BFI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 05:09 AM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So who has done the BFI?

So who has done the BFI? Which version 1 - 2 - or 3?

What have been your results?
Old 10-07-03, 07:00 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've done BFI v.custom, as I'm missing the two chambers, and I've only cut a nice hole in the factory airbox But I did notice the difference (remember mine's the 1JZ version) and the car is more responsive. I've got 149.3Kw at the wheels (about 200rwhp).

Not a bad mod for the price!!!
Old 10-07-03, 10:05 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

I did v.2 the whole thing. The difference is the top cover and heat shielding.

From outside you can barely hear the snorkeling sound of the airbox. If you open the hood and take the top cover out it's fairly audible.

After 3300 rpm, you can hear the engine bay start to resonate. It's either the intake manifold or the air cleaner. The intake manifold has this valve that changes the effective length of the manifold to give more torque at lower rpms and more hp at higher rpms. It's just like this: http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/Me...,24003,00.html

As for acceleration, I lightened my rear by taking out the spare tire and the trunk mats and when I accelerate up to my house @ 4000 rpm my tires (pirelli p4000 all-season stock size @ 30 psi) squeal a bit, and my car isn't lowered.

But then again, it seems as if my car is getting faster and faster. Maybe the air filter is breaking apart.

It's an sc300 by the way.

Last edited by Buttercup; 10-07-03 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-08-03, 04:19 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

I made up an XBFI

I doubt if its any imporvement over the BFI but I didnt have to cut up my 'original' airbox

Pulls well through the rev range.......
Attached Thumbnails So who has done the BFI?-dcp_0005.jpg  
Old 10-08-03, 10:20 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Just 2 huh? (Not counting the XBFI!)

Surely we have more BFI experience than that!

Who has done it all?
Old 10-09-03, 07:14 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

FaceUT,

Check out the ALSC for info on the BFI. Click the link below my sig.

Jose
Old 10-09-03, 09:04 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Hey Soarer_25GTT, Great lead. I had read everything on Planet Soarer regarding the BFI and was impressed to find even more info about it. That Peter Scott is one busy guy. I also followed a link to reepa.com and found some great DYI stuff!

From everything I read - why would anyone not do this Mod? Cheap, relatively easy and huge bang for the buck value.

I would still love to hear more from guys who have actually done it.

Last edited by FaceUT; 10-09-03 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-09-03, 09:14 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

I'm guessing because many people don't think it works (i.e. "it's not nice and shiny!"). I'm guessing many people would think a nice big smooth pipe with lots of sound (like an exhaust) will give more hp.

That and it seems very intimidating to do. But then I found a tutorial section on the website.

I read the article http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html and it makes sense to me. The only problem is that the BFI is partly ram air so I'm not so sure the intake resonator would help and perhaps the nice and shiny piping would be better.
Old 10-09-03, 09:54 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is some more data:
http://planetsoarer.com/dynoday/dyno2.html

Unless you plan on driving at 5000+ rpm, you'll lose power with the nice shiny tube.
Old 10-10-03, 07:56 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Originally posted by Buttercup
I'm guessing because many people don't think it works (i.e. "it's not nice and shiny!"). I'm guessing many people would think a nice big smooth pipe with lots of sound (like an exhaust) will give more hp.

That and it seems very intimidating to do. But then I found a tutorial section on the website.

I read the article http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html and it makes sense to me. The only problem is that the BFI is partly ram air so I'm not so sure the intake resonator would help and perhaps the nice and shiny piping would be better.
Well, many Soarer guys in Australia have done it, and Peter Scott has done hours of tests comparing air filter types (BFI, pod etc.) and has concluded that the BFI works just as efficiently as a pod, while costing virtually nothing to make (mine literally cost me AUD$9), and plus, unless concealed from the engine bay, pod air filters are deemed illegal on Australian roads (here in Sydney anyway).

Jose
Old 10-10-03, 08:58 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

It really doesn't appear to be a very difficult mod to do at all. I have already picked up a spare airbox so even if I butcher it, no biggie. I plan to try to do the BFI 3 as I like how clean it looks.

Has anyone out there got just the lid off an airbox they want to get rid of? My spare box came without one.
I realize I can just pop the one off my stock box, but I figure the less switching the better as there will be less chance of snapping a hinge.
Old 10-12-03, 10:33 AM
hwallen172
Driver

This looks like a very cost effective mod. I'm going to see how much a replacement air box is so that I can cut that up and just swap it out. That will cut down on the down time and make it easier for me to do the work since I live in an apartmend and don't have a good place to work on the car. Speaking of that, has any one considered buying a handful of air boxes, modding them, and offering them for sale? Not that I'm volunteering, mind you. I'm far too lazy for that.
Old 10-29-03, 02:49 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Well guys, here is my report on the BFI so far. I finally got a chance to drive it today after doing the airbox mod. I still have yet to complete the other chambers as I am now trying to track down the plastic sheet Peter Scott used in his design. However, removing the snorkel and opening up the box made the car sound just great when the RPM's jump above 2800. Much throatier! Below 2800-3000 you would never know it's there. Again I have more to do, but I am very pleased with the results so far. Other subjective observations include that the car feels like it has better throttle response and it seems to need less throttle when just cruising at 60-65....

I know this thing has the potential to increase fuel economy, but it's gonna be so hard to keep my foot out of it.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-29-03, 03:33 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

I'm not sure how the weather is in NC, but hopefully you'll do the chamber that seals off the fog light area from the airbox before it starts raining like mad.

As for fuel economy, good luck. Just keep the car under control.

BTW, I think the plastic is called ABS plastic. I think you can heat mold it. You don't have to use that. Just improvise. You could try using the plastic cardboard and using hot glue gun to seal off the gaps.

Last edited by Buttercup; 10-29-03 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 04:30 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Default BFI #3 complete

Just finished the project today. With Peter Scott's advice and assistance, it turned out just great. I wound up using Lexan to make my top and side covers and it turned out to be a good choice. I bought a piece of 18 x 24" Lexan XL from Home Depot for $11.93. It was about 3 cm thick and cut easily with fine tooth saw blades and sanded nicely.

After consulting with Peter, I elected NOT to re-direct the flow from the front of the car or do the bottom shelf under the headlight. I still draw air from under the headlight. My understanding was that Peter re-directed the flow due to his active suspension partially blocking the intake. Also with Turbos you have pipes in the way. Peter seemed to feel that I would get good results w/o re-directing the flow as my SC400 had nothing in the way.

Well, the results turned out great. The intake moan seemed louder before I added the top & side cover. However, with it all boxed in the sound is smoother and the car appears to pull harder.

Here's a picture of the finished product. Thanks again to everyone who provided me feedback on this project. I loved doing this mod!

BFI using Lexan XL

Let me know what you think of the results...

Last edited by FaceUT; 11-17-03 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: So who has done the BFI?