Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For those of you who have a Dragon TC on your SC400

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 11:48 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default For those of you who have a Dragon TC on your SC400

Sorry, it's not that I did not try the search function. I did. However, I would like to get more inputs from Dragon TC owners who've had this mod. for at least an extended period of time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1. Should I add aftermarket transmission cooler to prevent premature failure? Or is Dragon TC okay for
me to drive around with my stock cooler?
2. I understand that the Stall Speed is 2,800. However, from the way I understand it, if the TC does not lock up (thur delivering power until 2,800RPM or so), shouldn't this make the car "react" slower? In other words, wouldn't the stock's 1,900 stall speed allow the car to have power sooner and thus, allowing faster acceleration? Am I misunderstanding something?
3. Since I rarely stump on the gas, how would the TC affect my daily driving? If I spend most of my time revving the engine between the 2-3k RPM range, would the Dragon TC make the car shift less smoothly? Or would it make it feel as if my tranny is slipping?
4. I currently have about 170k miles on the engine, is the Dragon TC okay for my engine?
5. Anything else that I should watch out for?

Thanks again.

Jon
Old 10-06-03, 03:14 PM
928owner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mail!

Jon,
Check your PM.... You have mail!
Old 10-06-03, 03:33 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Mail!

Thank you very much for your help.

According to my service records, the transmission seal was replaced 40k miles ago..... So I guess I am okay in this department.

Hopefully, I won't have any more problem with this car as I am already beyond broke.

Regards,

Jon

Originally posted by 928owner
Jon,
Check your PM.... You have mail!
Old 10-06-03, 04:12 PM
928owner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I share your pain!

Jon,

Yes, they can get expensive, but usually when you fix the "weak stuff", it tends to stay fixed. Here is a list of what I found "weak" in the early SC's:
1. P/S seals weak, will leak destoying a perfectly good alternator.
2. Front lower control arm bushings, a shameful design from the factory. If you eat front tires up after alignments.... there is the source.
3. Power mirror ECU..... what a joke, failed twice on me, so I got rid of it for good.
4. Power window mechnsims prone to break... this 50 cent piece of plastic that breaks will cost a whole lot more as you cannot but the part.
5. Radiator WILL fail. The plastic to metal eventally causes the gasket to leak. Same thing happened to my 928. The all metal radiator fixes this.
6. The stock brake rotors are junk. Brake too hard a couple of times and get used to a vibratting steering wheel when braking again. I went to Bradi's in the front, and drilled and slotted in the rear. People have mixed opinions on effectiveness of drilled/slotted rotors, but since I have had them, not a hint of warp.

If I go through my repairs list, there are more, these are things that are the common weak links that others have reported as well.

The good news is that the motor and tranny are rock solid. Like many other cars, it's the perifrial stuff that fails.
Old 10-06-03, 05:17 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: I share your pain!

You're absolutely right 928,

The following items on my SC4 have been replaced:

1. Power Steering pump
2. Front left lower control arm
3. Passenger side power window regulator
4. Radiator
5. Front windshield
6. Antenna mast
7. Transmission seal
8. Instrument cluster

I thought my car would be okay after all the replacements. However, never did I suspect that the transmission would fail on me this early. Is this even normal for it to fail since it should be bulletproof?

Regards,

Jon

Originally posted by 928owner
Jon,

Yes, they can get expensive, but usually when you fix the "weak stuff", it tends to stay fixed. Here is a list of what I found "weak" in the early SC's:
1. P/S seals weak, will leak destoying a perfectly good alternator.
2. Front lower control arm bushings, a shameful design from the factory. If you eat front tires up after alignments.... there is the source.
3. Power mirror ECU..... what a joke, failed twice on me, so I got rid of it for good.
4. Power window mechnsims prone to break... this 50 cent piece of plastic that breaks will cost a whole lot more as you cannot but the part.
5. Radiator WILL fail. The plastic to metal eventally causes the gasket to leak. Same thing happened to my 928. The all metal radiator fixes this.
6. The stock brake rotors are junk. Brake too hard a couple of times and get used to a vibratting steering wheel when braking again. I went to Bradi's in the front, and drilled and slotted in the rear. People have mixed opinions on effectiveness of drilled/slotted rotors, but since I have had them, not a hint of warp.

If I go through my repairs list, there are more, these are things that are the common weak links that others have reported as well.

The good news is that the motor and tranny are rock solid. Like many other cars, it's the perifrial stuff that fails.