Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

egr block off = hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 10:35 AM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default egr block off = hp

has anyone done this mod i want to do it but just seeing if anyone has done it to there sc400 theres a link for the 300 for example
i dont know exactly how to i guess just find a plate that will fit?

thanks for any help
ryan

ps i heard that this makes about 10hp or so i would believe it b/c of how much power i have on a cold engine vs. warm engine with hot as hell exhaust temp into intake

http://www.mohdparts.com/egr_mods/index.html
Old 10-06-03, 10:41 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto.

I doubt 10 hp (maybe 1 or 2)...... but I'm wanting to block it off for other reasons.

Anyone know is a block off plate is made by anyone. If not, I'll just have to cut my own, but I'd rather just pay 10$ and save the time. I'm just curious about error codes from the computer, and cold idle.
Old 10-06-03, 11:26 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldn't you fail emissions test?
Old 10-06-03, 11:50 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

egr block off = hp
it is more of a safety feature than a horsepower goal. It balances the heat between the cylinders, and also cools your intake air.
Old 10-06-03, 03:16 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how would it cool intake air by putting hot exhaust air into it? i have a decently made cold air intake it HEATS up the air to lower emissions turn your car on in the morning when its cool feel the power after this gay emissions b/s heats it up you can feel the power loss
Old 10-08-03, 05:22 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by boredguy77
it is more of a safety feature than a horsepower goal.
???

It balances the heat between the cylinders, and also cools your intake air.
HUH???? Not to flame, but it doesn't balance anything, it merely recycles exhaust gasses back into the intake to re-burn any unburnt gas for emission purposes only. This is what causes all the carbon buildup in the manifold. It will considerably RAISE your intake temps, as very hot exhaust gasses are recirc-ed' into the intake.

Blocking this CAN affect emissions, but won't necessarliy affect it.

I am looking for a plate for a 92 SC4, anyone know of one? Any one know what happens to the (I don't have my manual here) VIS (??) thats connected to the EGR? Will removing /blocking the EGR affect this other sensor? Just curious. Keeping in mind that I'm probably mis spelling that attached sensor, as I'm only going from memory.

Thanks
Old 10-08-03, 05:31 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

O.k... The best resource for technical info on Toyota products can be found here: http://www.autoshop101.com/autoshop15.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about how EGR works is here: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf

EGR blockoff "plates" are *not* required. If you can locate the EGR valve, just find a steel expansion plug that fits into the hole leading to the intake manifold. Cost... about 50 cents.

FWIW, I completely removed the egr system all the way back to the egr cooler located behind #6 cylinder as well as the egr pipe located in the intake manifold. It had little or *nothing* to do with hp gains. The egr cooler sits behind the head on the 2jz motor and basically heats up #6 cylinder causing it to run leaner than the other cylinders. Well... *that's* not good. Additionally, the egr pipe in the intake manifold is just a restriction that I wanted to remove. 20psi+ of boost will make it into the intake plenum whether or not the egr pipe is in the way. Without it, the boost gets there a little sooner.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 10-08-03 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 11:38 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

how would it cool intake air by putting hot exhaust air into it? i have a decently made cold air intake it HEATS up the air to lower emissions turn your car on in the morning when its cool feel the power after this gay emissions b/s heats it up you can feel the power loss
HUH???? Not to flame, but it doesn't balance anything, it merely recycles exhaust gasses back into the intake to re-burn any unburnt gas for emission purposes only. This is what causes all the carbon buildup in the manifold. It will considerably RAISE your intake temps, as very hot exhaust gasses are recirc-ed' into the intake.
apparantly some people do not understand how the egr system works!! check out the links scott put up, and then you might understand what I meant. The block off plates will allow colder intake air, because it is not re-using exhaust And it will balance the heat between the cylinders because no.6 and no.5 are not hot as hell from the cooler. Not to flame you keith but you should read more carefully what I said, you said the exact same thing I did!!! I said egr blockoff plates will cool intake, and balance the cylinders, I did not say that the egr system does that!
Old 10-08-03, 01:23 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by boredguy77
Not to flame you keith but you should read more carefully what I said, you said the exact same thing I did!!! I said egr blockoff plates will cool intake, and balance the cylinders, I did not say that the egr system does that!
Sorry, but even re-reading what you said makes it sound like you were refrencing the EGR system, not the bolock off. Sorry that I mis understood you.
Old 10-08-03, 02:19 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Keith13b
Sorry, but even re-reading what you said makes it sound like you were refrencing the EGR system, not the bolock off. Sorry that I mis understood you.
He was explaining the mod... not the EGR system itself.

Chris
Old 10-09-03, 05:09 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I think Neil Griffiths from rushimports have the EGR block plate.
Old 10-10-03, 05:23 AM
Keith13b
Racer

For a 400?

Got any contact info....phone # or web address? I'll do a seach for a web address now-

Thanks.

Update: For those interested XXX.rushimports.com.au (xxx=www) since I'm sure links aren't allowed.

I haven't checked to see if they have a plate for the 400, but here is their web address.

Last edited by Keith13b; 10-10-03 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-10-03, 06:10 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Keith13b
For a 400?

Got any contact info....phone # or web address? I'll do a seach for a web address now-

Thanks.

Update: For those interested XXX.rushimports.com.au (xxx=www) since I'm sure links aren't allowed.

I haven't checked to see if they have a plate for the 400, but here is their web address.
Why would you go all the way to Australia to get it? Also, apparently Lextreme contacted Mohd from www.mohdparts.com about the EGR plates.

Chris
Old 10-10-03, 07:01 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I contacted mparts. He has it and you only need lower plate and you only need one plate. The upper plate would not work on the 400. However, one lower plate is all you need. Gave me a price on GP and individual. I can not discuss about price. You can contact him directly. I am not interested in doing the block. Too much work for little gain and smog time, you will have to take it off again. Its a pain to install it and remove it. Passenger side header should be the place to block. Dont do it at the upper intake. Then you will put too much exhaust pressure to the EGR pipe and it can pop. I had my EGR pipe popped and it was a pain to replace it. Good luck all. Let us know how it goes. People interested in doing this should do a pre and post dyno to see if any changes.

Last edited by Lextreme; 10-10-03 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-10-03, 11:01 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Actually I could care less about the dyno or Hp gains, as I very seriously doubt any will be achieved, since the egr mainly works at idle and deceleration.

My concern is that my friggin headers require the removal of the EGR system! So its not really an option, unless I want to hack up the headers and rig in a EGR fitting....which I don't care to do.
So for now, I'm stuck removing the system for praticality reasons. Now my concern is the other sensors that are attached to the EGR.

Lextreme, why can't you quote a price? Its not like you're selling their product. I can easily say that Wal Mart sells Mobil 1 oil for 21.99 a 6-pack, so why can't you say the cost of the individual plate? Just curious. The mods here are strict, but not that strict.

DIrEctQL : I wouldn't go to Australia to get it.....I would just have them ship it via mail. The plate is just a flat piece of metal, so it would ship in a padded envelope and wouldn't cost that much. I've found it cheaper to buy parts overseas, while the dollar is still stong there. Alot of them will accept US funds too, so you won't have to pay bank fees.

Quick Reply: egr block off = hp