Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is this really the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 06:03 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy Is this really the tranny?

Well,

I guess it's a bit too late for this question because my car's already in the shop for a new tranny swap. But just for my own reference, could anyone please tell me if it's indeed, my tranny that was going?

Referring to this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=96971

I've had this whine for a few days before I started feeling something wrong with my tranny as I slowly accelerated from stop (at around 1k-1.5kRPM or so). It felt as if the rear tires are spinning even though I knew they were not. In other words, I could feel the RPM slipping for a while before it would pick up and go again.

I decided to take my car to the shop and as I was on my way there, my tranny started to lock up. It would rev up to 3-4k and not go more than 20mph no matter which gear I tried to engage in. I would shift to 1, 2, 3 or D and the same thing would happen. The same thing happened even with the gear engaged in R. Also, I tried switching between the PWR and NMR mode and it did not help as well. At one point my car actually refused to move on the street; meaning no matter how much throttle I applied, the RPM would just go up and my car would just sit there.

Eventually, I limped to the shop and my mechanic told me that it's my tranny after a brief test drive.

Was he correct in pointing out this? I thought Toyota tranny is supposed to last forever.

My car just passed 170k miles.

Any thought on this. I am pretty depressed now because I haven't seen my car in days. The only thing that makes me feel better now is that I am getting a new Dragon TC installed with the new transmission.

Jon
Old 10-05-03, 06:58 PM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like the tranny is slipping. i got a honda accord from the auction and the tranny is doing the same thing. its cheaper to get a new one than it is to fix, let me know once you get your car back, i want to know if there is a big difference with the new Tourqe Converter.
Old 10-06-03, 10:35 AM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

how much is it for a new sc400 tranny?
Old 10-06-03, 11:52 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Ali: Thanks. Do you think I can just get by with a new torque converter? Or would it be better (as my mechanic suggested) to get a replacement tranny?

SCCanada: Sorry, let me rephrase. By having a "new" tranny I meant a "used replacement tranny". My mechanic was able to locate one for me but I am not sure of its exact cost since my car's still in the shop. He did quote me about $700-$800 for a used unit in excellent condition (if he could find one) the day I took my car in though.

Jon
Old 10-06-03, 11:27 PM
SCmist
Rookie

Hey Jon, could you give me a update on your tranny problem? Because I believe I have the same problem as you.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-03, 10:31 PM
PM Supra
Driver

I had the same problem with my SC400. We rebuilt it to our Supra spec modified transmission. Now it shifts quick and firm.
Old 10-09-03, 11:53 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM Supra, assuming you're from BL, have you done any A341E's for any customers around NY? I'd like to find out more about the unit you guys build. I'm told Kean's trans is holding up to his T88H, what I need is something that will take daily driving and weekend strip use @ 500+ rwhp without breaking a sweat, I don't want to hear the '800-rwhp capable' quote, can you tell me what you guys do to strengthen the 2nd gear sprag? (not machined for a GM sprag is it?). To increase the line pressure? Anything cryogenically treated? Extra clutches/material? What's the warranty? Thanks.
- Jon
Old 10-09-03, 12:39 PM
racing fan
Driver

I thought the gte tranny was teh a340e and the ge was the a341e... so you have the ge one like the earlier years? I was looking at the numbers on the gte and ge transmissions and they both say the same model number Sounds like you ahve the ge trnamission though.... Keans car has a t71gtq on it... not t88

The thing with our 800rwhp capable trans is it doesn't shift hard or anyhitng... In fact I've heard of people complaining that they didn't think our trans shifted hard enough. Our trans shifts smooth and firm. There is a fine line between to much line pressure(breaks sprags) and too little (damages clutches). We have done the r&d to make a great product. It is not machined for a gm sprag.... the other details are proprietary.... As far as a warranty... we take care of our customers. If anyhting is wrong with the build of the transmission we will cover it. We havne't had to come up with a "warranty plan" or anyhting because none of the 30+ units that we've built have broken.

call the shop at 512-371-9960 if you'd like or you can shoot me an email at zohair@boostlogic.com
Old 10-09-03, 10:01 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Sorry that it took me so long to replay.

Here's the follow up post that I just wrote.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=98397

Jon
Originally posted by SCmist
Hey Jon, could you give me a update on your tranny problem? Because I believe I have the same problem as you.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-03, 06:35 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by racing fan
I thought the gte tranny was teh a340e and the ge was the a341e... so you have the ge one like the earlier years? I was looking at the numbers on the gte and ge transmissions and they both say the same model number Sounds like you ahve the ge trnamission though.... Keans car has a t71gtq on it... not t88
The thing with our 800rwhp capable trans is it doesn't shift hard or anyhitng... In fact I've heard of people complaining that they didn't think our trans shifted hard enough. Our trans shifts smooth and firm. There is a fine line between to much line pressure(breaks sprags) and too little (damages clutches). We have done the r&d to make a great product. It is not machined for a gm sprag.... the other details are proprietary.... As far as a warranty... we take care of our customers. If anyhting is wrong with the build of the transmission we will cover it. We havne't had to come up with a "warranty plan" or anyhting because none of the 30+ units that we've built have broken.
call the shop at 512-371-9960 if you'd like or you can shoot me an email at zohair@boostlogic.com

Hmm, worries me that you don't know what trans comes in what. The A341E comes in TT's, LS4's, and '98-00 SC's, the A340E was fitted to the '92-97 SC's, someone might have different info, I know there's been some debate on this. I understand about line pressure having to be within a certain range, matter of fact there's a thin paper gasket @ the pump that would blow out way before you busted a sprag. Didn't know Kean went to a smaller turbo, the website has his car with a T88 and says his trans holds up fine. If you don't want to give me any details and claim everything to be proprietary that's fine, but not having a specific warranty troubles me, maybe i'm just silly like that. It's easy to say '800 rwhp' capable, but you didn't answer a single question of mine to back it up, not even if you have anyone around NY or even in the Northeast who's car I could check out. I thought my questions were fair, but oh well.
Old 10-10-03, 11:13 AM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Hmm, worries me that you don't know what trans comes in what. The A341E comes in TT's, LS4's, and '98-00 SC's, the A340E was fitted to the '92-97 SC's, someone might have different info, I know there's been some debate on this. I understand about line pressure having to be within a certain range, matter of fact there's a thin paper gasket @ the pump that would blow out way before you busted a sprag. Didn't know Kean went to a smaller turbo, the website has his car with a T88 and says his trans holds up fine. If you don't want to give me any details and claim everything to be proprietary that's fine, but not having a specific warranty troubles me, maybe i'm just silly like that. It's easy to say '800 rwhp' capable, but you didn't answer a single question of mine to back it up, not even if you have anyone around NY or even in the Northeast who's car I could check out. I thought my questions were fair, but oh well.
I've never dealt with a 98+sc so I don't know about those.. Thanks for informing me though Kean had a t88 over a year ago.... since then hes switched to(after developing) the boostlogic kit. Alot of customers have similar concerns about warranty issues. To all of them I've said we will stand behind the product. If there are any defects in the rebuild we will fix them. We don't have a large reputation in the lexus community yet but in the supra community our word means alot.... I can't think of names off the top of my head of customers in your area but let me ask kean and check old invoices. I know Val is in MD and he goes to the strip alot so maybe he'll be at e-town sometime. Your questions certainly are fair.... any questions are fair to ask about a product before you shell out the cash... I will say that we keep the stock sprag as its a very good design. GM guys actually switch out to this deisgn of sprag so we don't understand why other shops would switch to the inferior gm sprag.
Old 10-10-03, 12:35 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Cool, let me know if you find a cust near NY or in the Northeast. Is that Val Thakore you were referring to?
Old 10-10-03, 12:54 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
... but not having a specific warranty troubles me, maybe i'm just silly like that. I.....
Let's think about this for a sec, Jon, why do they put a guarantee on a product? A company puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter. Well, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I've seen it a hundred times. So why do they put a guarantee on the box then? Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of crap. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality tranny from BoostLogic.

Whoa...what just happened there...sorry about that. But seriously, a warranty is only as good as the company who stands behind it, especially with "racing products" that can have their warranty legally voided on a whim, so I would only go with companies that you trust. Now Kean has been in the Supra game for as long as anyone, even me, and his partner Chris of Performance Motorsports does some of the best work around, ie, SW's Supra, etc. and guys dont get business from seasoned-wealthy car enthusiast like SW without being the best. Even though I am not part of BL, I will stand firmly behind BoostLogic's products and the respect/fairness they treat their customers. If you have any problems with them, then you can trash my name all you want and in the mean time I'll have already drive over to their shop and brokemy foot off in somebody's ***, probably Zohair's since he's got the least senority.

Last edited by sc300tt; 10-10-03 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-10-03, 03:20 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by sc300tt
a warranty is only as good as the company who stands behind it, especially with "racing products" that can have their warranty legally voided on a whim, so I would only go with companies that you trust.
Heres Clint when we need him! This comment should be realized when dealing with all aftermarket automotive companies. I've seen HKS, Big name supra shops(regarding transmissions specifically), Bensons Engines, etc not give **** for a "warranty" they supposedly had.

Originally posted by sc300tt

Even though I am not part of BL, I will stand firmly behind BoostLogic's products and the respect/fairness they treat their customers. If you have any problems with them, then you can trash my name all you want and in the mean time I'll have already drive over to their shop and brokemy foot off in somebody's ***, probably Zohair's since he's got the least senority.
biatch!

On a totally unrelated note I'm parting out a 97 t76 sc, getrag, electronics, everything must go!
Old 10-10-03, 10:33 PM
PM Supra
Driver

Little lesson on transmission upgrades. Many of the other shops that build transmissions usually just up the line pressure across the whole tranny. I know this because I have replaired many of the others.. This is a easy way of making the transmission shift harder, but not the correct way of modifying the valve body. We have spent alot of time fine tuning the valve body, by modifying each cluch packs to certain pressures that makes each gear shifting firm and fast. The other bad thing about raising the main line pressure is that it ususally induces more heat. The transmision only lets fluid go through the cooler line when the main line pressure is low. If you always have high line pressure then the cooling process is greatly reduced. Another fact is that Toyota makes a fine tranny and uses quality parts, it just needs to be modified to suit the needs of more power.

I really doubt my SC400 will ever break my transmission. I believe Kean's supra is making about 4 times the power. After approximately 40+ trannies, we have not had a single one come back. Thats better than a written warranty. All the "others" I have repaired had warranties,: . Now, if we can ever overcome the limitations of the torque converter, we will have it whooped.

Last edited by PM Supra; 10-10-03 at 10:36 PM.