Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Redline MT-90 review for 5 speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-03, 10:17 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Redline MT-90 review for 5 speeds

Well, I changed my tranny oil today with the Redline MT-90 that everyone has been talking about. I knew it was time to change the oil since the shifts were getting pretty notchy. The last time I changed it was July of last year, so about 23k miles if I had to guess. The old oil still came out pretty clean though.
Anyway, when you do the tranny oil change, it is very easy. Just take this bit of advice though and get a good pump and hoses to pump the oil up into the tranny. The equipment I used was terrible. I had oil pissing all over myself and the floor because of a leaky pump and poorly fitting hoses.
The tranny takes 2.6 liters, I had 3 liters and I think I may have come up just a tiny bit short after all the leakage, but definitely in the safe range. The MT-90 made a difference immediately. My shifts are much more positive and smooth now- big difference. I ordered it from www..myoilshop.com When ordering use dealer code 675421for a 10% discount. The service was good, price was great ($7/quart -best I found after searching), and fedex delivery was pretty quick. If there's any other ?'s let me know.
And if anyone can tell me if there's a low oil sensor for the W58, I would really appreciate that.

Tim
Old 10-05-03, 12:11 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would back Tim up on what he's saying and have experienced similar results with my 5-speed. I used Neo Synthetic gear oil (75w-90 HD). http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/gearoil.htm
Exceptionally good stuff and would highly recommend. They sell in gallon sizes as well.

The gears are so smooth that clutch use is optional when matched RPM's.

1994 SC300 5-speed @ 85,200

Last edited by SCoupe; 10-05-03 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-05-03, 12:18 AM
Buttercup
Pole Position

What mileage is on your cars. I changed to mt-90 on 92sc at around 130k miles and it's been over 1000 miles and I still feel the resistance going to gate 2 and 5. But sometimes when I move the shifter at right angles, it slides in smoothly; but that's was also before changing oil.
To be honest, I used an oil pump from my school's shop and there might have been crud in there. If not crud, some other type of oil (but barely any in it). Would this be the problem?

I've never heard of a sensor for the oil level. The repair manual says to stick your finger and it should be minimum 5 mm from filler hole.
Old 10-05-03, 09:44 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Buttercup
What mileage is on your cars. I changed to mt-90 on 92sc at around 130k miles and it's been over 1000 miles and I still feel the resistance going to gate 2 and 5. But sometimes when I move the shifter at right angles, it slides in smoothly; but that's was also before changing oil.
To be honest, I used an oil pump from my school's shop and there might have been crud in there. If not crud, some other type of oil (but barely any in it). Would this be the problem?

I've never heard of a sensor for the oil level. The repair manual says to stick your finger and it should be minimum 5 mm from filler hole.
As for the crud, that's why I flushed some oil through first. Then I flushed a bit through the tranny before reinstaling the drain bolt too. I don't think this is your prob, though, as any extra stuff would be very minimal. The problem you're having could just be due to worn parts- it happens after 12 years.

As for checking the level, I don't know how anyone would fit their finger inside the filler hole, it's not big enough
Old 10-05-03, 10:14 AM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Oh... if you can't fit your finger, make a bend on a wire and stick it through.
Old 10-05-03, 10:56 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen two post now saying that a 5-speed over 125k miles did not get the same effect as my car with lower miles. Wonder if there is a correlation, seems unlikely. I was intrigued by Red LIne's technical Information about MT-90: "MT-90 is a thicker 75W90 version of MTL". To me, thicker is not better, going to have a different feel to it.

About the pump you used, unless it was pumping a solvent of some kind and had a healthy amount of residue, its hard to imagine that you contaminated anything, on the other hand, none is better than some.

Hope this helps, one opinion only.