Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Someone make my mind up PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 04:26 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone make my mind up PLEASE!!!

OK here i the problem...... As some of you might know I have been piecing together a TT swap for my 95 SC.... I have almost eveything with the exception of, Phils book (ordering Monday), a RMM downpipe, a tach adapter, and thats PRETTY much it.... Everything just sitting around looking at me..... Then theres that damn Turbonetics single manifold... Everytime I walk in the shop it looks at me, hell taunting me... I find myself looking at SP63s and Boostlogics web site.... My screen saver is a GTE with a single... Well anyway back to my problem... The motor I have has 78k miles on it... The turbos are in unknown condition because the car I got the motor out of was wrecked. Obviously in was running but I really don't know about condition as no one does that buys used stuff.... So Im wondering if I should just go single, spend the 2k bucks... But this will take me from being weeks from doing my swap to a couple months. also have all this stuf I bought that was a waste of money if go single. Such s the MAF sensor, the greddy intake etc.... Someone please yell at me because I have a decision to make and I might suffer a heart attack before that happens....
Old 09-30-03, 11:48 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you considered rebuilding the factory turbos?

OK so they wouldn't be as bad *** as the big single ******, but having them reco'd you wouldn't have to put to waste all the parts you've bought, plus you can change the internals to stronger parts. Depending on how much power you want from the turbo conversion (either 2JZ with stock turbos or 2JZ with big single) should be the deciding factor of what path to take (reco originals or single). Quite a few guys here in Australia are reco' their turbos, having the original (just use as an example) the CT12A housings machined, hi-flowed whatever you want to call it and taking out the ceramic internals for custom ball bearing Garrett parts, as well as external wastegates etc. I'm not sure if this would apply to the 2JZ as it's sequential but it's been proven on the 1JZ, some of the prices I have seen for reco turbos vs. single turbo conversion add up to be nearly the same, but it works out to be nearly the same (here in Australia anyway). Then you have to remember to upgrade all the rest around the turbo system (fuel pump, injectors etc.) and the costs can again vary depending on how much power output you're looking at.

*drops 2 cents*

Jose