Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What are the wonderful uses of Toluene?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 11:41 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toluene

Does anyone know about this stuff? From what I've read it is 114 octance and is available in paint stores as a solvent. I also learned that the Japanese have used it as an octane booster. Does anyone have any experience with it? What kind of performance increase could I expect if the octane was raised to about 97?
Old 09-27-03, 11:49 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Look up the MSDS sheet on it.
I dont know about automotive engine use but it's Very bad stuff to have around.
Old 09-27-03, 12:00 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, it is used as a cleaning aide in building boards (soldering)

it is HIGHLY flammable, and eats away your skin....get it on your paint and watch it fade away

I wouldn't suggest it
Old 09-27-03, 03:33 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone here actually USED it before? ok then

technics, my friend when he was running his stock turbo WRX with its learning ECU would run Toluene at like a 1/4 mix or something....
this resulted in a downpipe, testpipe, catback, stock intake, stock turbo car running ~17psi on stock tires to run a 7.9 in the 1/8th computer saw the extra room and advanced the ignition furthur too...

toluene works very well to a limit... wouldn't go too much mix on it tho...

and guys... gasoline is ALSO very flammable and can irritate your skin... should we not use that either?

NOW... if you're using this on a stock car, you wont see an ounce of performance difference from it at all
i'd be looking other places to increase your performance

Last edited by Bean; 09-27-03 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-28-03, 12:04 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Agree with Bean. I've seen plenty of people use it to good effect. Vipers, Supras, WRXs. Most I'd heard of was 20% with no real issues.

Matter of fact, isn't there already a buttload of toluene in your fuel?
Old 09-28-03, 07:13 AM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by Bean

and guys... gasoline is ALSO very flammable and can irritate your skin... should we not use that either?

NOW... if you're using this on a stock car, you wont see an ounce of performance difference from it at all
I totally agree Bean, but look - ^^ his car is stock. He is running a stock SC300. I figured someone would say something about the flammability, that was a joke. As we have discussed in many other threads, adding a higher octane fuel than specified for in a stock vehicle will not net any huge gains, if any at all.

no harm, no foul right?

Edit - We are saying the same thing. No gains.

Last edited by legendary; 09-28-03 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-28-03, 08:40 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean

technics, my friend when he was running his stock turbo WRX with its learning ECU would run Toluene at like a 1/4 mix or something....
this resulted in a downpipe, testpipe, catback, stock intake, stock turbo car running ~17psi on stock tires to run a 7.9 in the 1/8th computer saw the extra room and advanced the ignition furthur too...

toluene works very well to a limit... wouldn't go too much mix on it tho...

"...irritate your skin..." My BF has partial smelling senses due to tolulene exposure. Even after sometime the Dr's don't know how,when or what may come of his situation. So before someone uses a chemical not designed for an application, they should know what they are dealng with before listening to someone on the INTERNET suggesting that its 'cool to use'.
Old 09-28-03, 09:29 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i found another car that uses the stuff...

there was a T76 turbo'd 5.0 mustang that pulled up last night along with a whole slew of other fast-*** cars...but he was running a toluene mix of 25%
Old 09-28-03, 10:20 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Em.. how did he get exposed to it that much? Industrial? The one time I saw a guy mixing it in his tank, he did use a full face organic respirator and gloves.

As Em says, anyone who runs down to their local bulk chemical supply and buys large quantities of an odd chemical without checking out the safety requirements... well, you're looking for trouble. I presume the big warning labels all over the side of the drum on handling and storage should tip you off that this isn't really safe. If you ignore all the warnings, and don't have that kind of common sense, well you probably shouldn't be working on your car. This applies to grinding, welding, printing circuit boards, stripping paint...

Just another "have some common sense" message
Old 09-28-03, 11:32 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Hey Fred

Yes, In the Aerospace Industry.
Old 09-28-03, 03:40 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by legendary
I totally agree Bean, but look - ^^ his car is stock. He is running a stock SC300. I figured someone would say something about the flammability, that was a joke. As we have discussed in many other threads, adding a higher octane fuel than specified for in a stock vehicle will not net any huge gains, if any at all.

no harm, no foul right?

Edit - We are saying the same thing. No gains.

Hey, watch it! Hopefully the car won't be stock for long! I wanted to see if anyone actually had any experience using it.

Bean, thanks for the insight.

Last edited by Technics; 09-28-03 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-28-03, 03:47 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Fred Smith
Em.. how did he get exposed to it that much? Industrial? The one time I saw a guy mixing it in his tank, he did use a full face organic respirator and gloves.

As Em says, anyone who runs down to their local bulk chemical supply and buys large quantities of an odd chemical without checking out the safety requirements... well, you're looking for trouble. I presume the big warning labels all over the side of the drum on handling and storage should tip you off that this isn't really safe. If you ignore all the warnings, and don't have that kind of common sense, well you probably shouldn't be working on your car. This applies to grinding, welding, printing circuit boards, stripping paint...

Just another "have some common sense" message

I don't recall saying I had 200 gallons of toluene in my garage ready to use.
Old 09-28-03, 07:39 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Talk about "Putting the horse before the cart" LoL!!

Forget I mentioned anything and get a few drums to store in the garage for your first mod
Old 09-28-03, 07:51 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Old 09-28-03, 07:54 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

We ran ~28psi with the old 63 with a 25% toluene and 80% 93 Octane mix in my car with no problems one night when we couldn't get any race gas late night.

-Ethan

Quick Reply: What are the wonderful uses of Toluene?