Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JDM TRANNY question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-03, 06:09 PM
95sc300t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM TRANNY question

I see a ton of posts reguarding the 2jz-gte JDM engines in SC300's, 400's, and that is probably the way I'll go.

My question is: IS The automatic tranny that comes attached to those JDM engines the exact same tranny that the USDM TT Supra's are using? My concern is getting the tranny rebuilt to handle high horsepower... If its a different tranny in any way, it could cause problems, and I don't like problems!
Old 09-14-03, 03:03 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jdm trans

There are a lot of variations in the japanese jz turbo engines, which were used in a number of applications. Even though in general the JDM engines put out a bit less horsepower, they are all up in the "significant" output category, no reason why the associated tranny shouldn't handle the horsepower.

Of course, ANYTIME you start boosting horsepower from stock, then reliability and durability of all the remaining drivetrain parts becomes questionable. But then, if that were your major concern, you wouldn't be looking at an upgrade anyhow, huh.?
Old 09-14-03, 06:27 PM
95sc300t
Driver

I guess my question wasn't exactly expressed accurately..

My plans were to get the JDM engine, with auto tranny attached. The smaller cams, turbo's, injectors, and ECU limitations don't matter, as ALL that stuff will be replaced due to upgrading to a single turbo application.

The tranny, on the other hand, IF it is the same unit as comes in the US TT Supra's, then I will be getting it rebuilt to handle 600+ HP, just as I would if I bought a used US auto tranny from a TT.

If the tranny attached to the JDM is a different case, with different internals, then trying to get it rebuilt wouldn't be easy here, with non standard guts.

SO, is the tranny the same part number, if it came out of a JDM supra tt?
Old 09-14-03, 07:18 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Yes if it is from a supra, the aristo (gs300) uses a different driveshaft set up but internally they are the same .
Old 09-15-03, 06:38 AM
95sc300t
Driver

Thanks Dewsc300, that's what I needed to know. So, even the aristo uses the same tranny, but has a different driveshaft to connect to the rear-end? That would be even better, since we can get a better deal for the Aristo engine/tranny, although I think I read somewhere that the wiring harness is shorter on the Aristo, so maby that's not such a good idea.. HMM.