Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sudden loss of power - Catalytic converter glowing

Old 09-02-03, 05:56 PM
netwrk2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sudden loss of power - Catalytic converter glowing

I need some advice guys. I have a 1992 Lexus SC400 with 150,000 on it. It has really been pretty good up until now. I was driving at about 60 mph and I had a sudden loss of power. I literally felt like someone had put something in my tailpipes. I could maintain idle, but the car was limping

I pulled over and looked under the car. Both catalytic converters were glowing to the point where it looked like they would catch fire. I think it was the catalytic converters, they were located on both sides of the car, just rear of the engine at the bottom of the car and they both had heat shields on them. I drove 15 miles to get back home. By the time I got home, it had a gas smell coming up from the console area and the center console was very hot.

Is this a bad catalytic converter? I was initially thinking yes.....but 2 going bad at the same time. What's the chances of that. If one went bad, how would that affect the other? Someone said it could be a bad o2 sensor. The car is not missing and the check engine lite is OFF.

I would appreciate some insight and if this has happened to you...how much did it cost to fix?

Netwrk2
Old 09-02-03, 06:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I would gather that you are running extremely rich for some reason. the glow is fuel exploding in the cats and the smell tends to point to the richness of the engine also. Now, why it is running rich....

Also, you should get a check engine code if a sensor goes out.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-02-03 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-02-03, 06:06 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i am having the same problem w/ the gas smell- occasional power loss...and heat from center console..no warning lamps on..any ideas??
Old 09-02-03, 06:11 PM
netwrk2
Driver School Candidate

When I say it was glowing....I mean that if I had continued driving, the car would have caught fire at the catalytic converters.
Old 09-02-03, 06:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Yeah, raw fuel does that.
Old 09-02-03, 06:32 PM
netwrk2
Driver School Candidate

OK. I am no mechanic......does raw fuel in the catalytic converter mean the converter is bad or is there some other item that sets up this type of problem. I am really looking to hear from someone who has experienced this same problem.

netwrk2
Old 09-02-03, 06:45 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this one!!!!!!!!!!!

it's your ignition coil. change this... and make sure when it's replaced it's put back correctly and tightly. This has tendency to not click into place if not carefully installed.

don't drive your car like this it will catch fire if you drive it enough.

I guarantee this is will fix your problem!!!

Last edited by VSsc400; 09-02-03 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-02-03, 11:13 PM
ajayR
Rookie

VS could be right.. sounds like you're misfiring bad, check all ignition components.
Old 09-02-03, 11:17 PM
netwrk2
Driver School Candidate

I will order a coil tomorrow. And this is all very interesting because the car started to miss about 1mile before all this happened. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 09-03-03, 04:33 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ajayR
VS could be right.. sounds like you're misfiring bad, check all ignition components.
could be right??? I know I'm right on this one

The ignition coil should last 90k+ miles but mine failed @ 60k miles. When this fails it doesn't generate enough spark to ignite the air/fuel in the combustion chamber. If it was wires or plugs it should have failed gradually... the description... "all of the sudden somone stuffed up the muffles" is exactly what it feels like when the ignition coil pops out or goes bad... by the way... the coild should go for something like $80.

this part is a guess but: I think when the ignition coil goes bad it gets dislodged from the socket it's held down to.... I had the original coild dislodge from socket when it failed... and the replacement failed after 2 days and that dislodged itself from the socket... and the re-replacement has been good for 22k miles.
Old 09-03-03, 03:17 PM
MikeysSC
Lead Lap

off topic a bit .. but where is the heat shield? I noctice theres raddling noise coming from the bottom of my car. . . maybe tahts it. . i've check both exhaust but found nothing. . funny thing is. . it only raddles at about 1100 rpms ..
Old 09-03-03, 03:20 PM
netwrk2
Driver School Candidate

Follow the exhaust pipe from the rear to the front. Just as the pipe goes up towards the engine, you will see a piece of metal tin with holes in it. That is the heat shield on the catalytic converter.

Also can anyone tell me how many ignition coils are on a 1992 SC400 and where are they located?
Old 09-03-03, 03:37 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

you have 2 on a SC4. the one that fails is front top. black square thing that sticks out.
Old 09-03-03, 09:29 PM
SCmist
Rookie

Sorry to chime in a little late, but VS is absolutely correct. I had the same problem as well, about a month ago. It turned out that the coil on the right side didnt work, so I was only running 6 cylinders.
Old 09-03-03, 09:33 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SCmist
Sorry to chime in a little late, but VS is absolutely correct. I had the same problem as well, about a month ago. It turned out that the coil on the right side didnt work, so I was only running 6 cylinders.
6? or 4?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sudden loss of power - Catalytic converter glowing