Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sudden loss of power - Catalytic converter glowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 07:06 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default have some suggestions

Acceleration and Hesitation

and

Another one here

and

My own story here

Search the LS forums, we all have the same issues...

Also get a manual on CD to locate parts and etc.
Search e-bay for that....

my 2 cents.

Lorenzo
92 LS400 174k
Old 04-01-05, 12:39 PM
LEXUSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 92 SC400 last night and it drove perfect. Only problem I heard last night was a cracking/popping noise coming from the cats.

So this morning I start the car and I heard the exhaust has a diffrent tone than last night. Kinda sounds like a wrx with an exhaust but not as loud. I drive it around and the car is REALLY slow. But its not hesitating and I dont feel a miss-fire. Its just takes a long time to get up to speed compared to last night.

And now I think theres some sort of exhaust leak coming from the passenger side or something, theres a bit of smoke coming up from there and up thru the engine bay.

So could it be the ign. coil talked about earlier in this thread or clogged cats?
Old 04-01-05, 08:15 PM
LEXUSC4
Driver School Candidate

Ok bought new coil packs ($50 each at autozone) still runs crappy and slow. Going to check out the exhaust tomorrow.
Old 04-04-05, 12:41 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Default Don't drive it man..

If it is the exhaust.....

I wouldn't drive it if I were you.
Serious Pressure issues could ruin your engine.
I did that and I know that is probably why my valves tick much louder.

Oh also, if you have smoke and perhaps a leak, it sounds just like my issues ::: see link:::

Do this: Put your hand behind the tips of the exhaust and have someone else try to Rev the engine.
You should have flow, Check Both Pipes.
If the Y-pipe is clogged you will have near-to non-extistent flow.
If one of the mufflers is clogged, you will know which one.... duh.

If you have no flow at all loosen the Flanges behing the Cats before the Y.
You will feel all the flow coming from here now. And there's your problem.

Now that you got them loose, take the Y out so you can see up the Cats and you'll see which one blew out.
I changed all three of mine.

But Let me tell you, I had no warning. The thing popcorned a little, I do mean a little.
Then two days later, sluggish as hell.
And the repair bill from Toyota, don't get me started on the gouging that Lexus does to its Victims/buyers.

FYI -- >My year 92 is 50 state legal. check the info here

Check out my post and see is this is your issue:
my story

I'd definitley Check the Cats, at least that work is free.
If not could be the Fuel system somewhere and that cost money to check out.

Lorenzo
92 LS400
Old 04-05-05, 02:23 AM
LEXUSC4
Driver School Candidate

Yea I looked over your thread before, my problem is very similar but...

Sunday afternoon, I pulled the Y pipe off and checked it and there was no blockage in there. I checked the cats, the center was a bit broken down but nothing to cause a blockage. I went ahead and gutted the cats anyway to be sure. Bolted everything back up and still the same sluggish problem.

I didnt check the exhaust flow with the exhaust system hooked up like normal. Tomorrow I will have someone rev the car while I put my hand over the mufflers and check for flow.

I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs in the car. The old ones looked to be the original plugs that the car left the factory with. Plus the plug wires and cap looked to be original also. Car has 140k miles.

Now I have bought new replacements, but I dont want to put them on yet without being 100% its an ignition problem and not something else. I might take the car to pep boys or something and have then hook up a diagnostic machine to it and try to figure out the problem.
Old 04-05-05, 05:16 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXUSC4
Yea I looked over your thread before, my problem is very similar but...

Sunday afternoon, I pulled the Y pipe off and checked it and there was no blockage in there. I checked the cats, the center was a bit broken down but nothing to cause a blockage. I went ahead and gutted the cats anyway to be sure. Bolted everything back up and still the same sluggish problem.

I didnt check the exhaust flow with the exhaust system hooked up like normal. Tomorrow I will have someone rev the car while I put my hand over the mufflers and check for flow.

I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs in the car. The old ones looked to be the original plugs that the car left the factory with. Plus the plug wires and cap looked to be original also. Car has 140k miles.

Now I have bought new replacements, but I dont want to put them on yet without being 100% its an ignition problem and not something else. I might take the car to pep boys or something and have then hook up a diagnostic machine to it and try to figure out the problem.
Go ahead and replace the caps, rotors and wires. If the plugs haven't been changed then these most assuredly haven't either. Don't bother bringing it to Pep Boy's. They are neither qualified nor skilled enough to diagnose a problem with your Lexus. Especially if the CEL isn't on. If it was, then they could pull the codes.
Old 04-05-05, 07:48 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Default Lost in translation

Yes definitely the Pep people are Lost in Translation when it comes to the older OBDI and half those people are ignorant anyway... Always talking about their 67 chevy or the 05 Ford 350...
and the always loose idle-arm on the chevys... or the new can of wax...

Bla bla bla.

You can read your own codes too: here
I've asked this before but if anyone knows... Does an OBDI keep codes sotred in the ECU like an OBDII does, even with the CEL out???

onto the meat....

Now, I am on the same page as Jeremy here...
Try the Plugs, Caps, Rotors, Wires, Ignition....
If that ain't it, you just got yourself a tune-up anyhow.
Next check some of the Sensors, crankcase, TBPs, etc. etc.
Search some info on the forums and you will find answers for each.
Also check this user's lex ls website
I think nagasakki had an issue like yours.
Search for him...

Oh if you need pages from my 92 LS CD manual, just PM me.

Good luck.

Lorenzo 92 LS400 174k
Old 04-05-05, 07:52 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Default by the way

If you are short on time.

Take it to the Toyota that is far away from the Lexus dealer.
They will service your older Lexus.
Anyways...

tell them you want a diagnostic performed on the car but no repair. Cost for me 60$.
Takes an hour.
Tell them whay you think it could be, what you've done and not done. etc. etc. etc.

Might save time nailing down the culprit. And unlike the Pep-people they Know Toyota/Lexus.

Lorenzo
Old 04-05-05, 05:32 PM
LEXUSC4
Driver School Candidate

Well...I replaced the spark plugs wires, cap and rotors. Found my problem while doing so. The rotor inside the drivers side distributor had disintegrated into many pieces. So the car was running on 4cyl. The passenger side rotor was still in one piece but it had small cracks that were about to break. Replaced everything, cranked the car up and she purred to life. Went for a spin a few minutes later and she was good as new.
Old 04-05-05, 06:04 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Default Damn!

Damn!
That was my next suggestion...considering it sounded like the SC hadn't had a proper tune-up in a while.

I just read a post last week about running on less than all 8.
I don't know how you don't notice that, but it happens when you have more than 4 or 6...
anyways
I was just about to give you a link to another guy who had compression issues.

Great Job!

Lorenzo
92 LS400 175k
Old 04-05-05, 08:16 PM
LEXUSC4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help
Old 05-10-12, 03:24 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VSsc400
this part is a guess but: I think when the ignition coil goes bad it gets dislodged from the socket it's held down to.... I had the original coild dislodge from socket when it failed... and the replacement failed after 2 days and that dislodged itself from the socket... and the re-replacement has been good for 22k miles.
I would like to know if anyone confirmed this to be a fact because my 92 SC400 ignition coil (The one located on top of the engine) looks slightly unplugged. I'm trying to fix a misfire and low idle. I want to be sure the coils are in working order before I do a tune up.
Old 03-19-13, 07:55 PM
Zenny
Driver School Candidate

hey guys new here i bought my sc400 couple days ago sorry to bump an old thread so is it the distributors that r a problem because i opened up to see the spark plugs and found pink/reddish plastic in where the belt is
Old 10-01-13, 08:16 PM
Mombo
Driver School Candidate

I just paid $1550.00 for front and rear cats because mine where glowing as well, had no warning light or errors.
do you think I paid too much?
Old 10-01-13, 08:18 PM
Mombo
Driver School Candidate

I have a 94 ls 400 and it costed $1550 to replace front and rear cats. did I pay to much?

Quick Reply: Sudden loss of power - Catalytic converter glowing