Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC TT Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-03, 04:05 PM
zutoo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC TT Swap

Hi All! I just bought a 1992 SC400 from my friend for $1000! The car currently has a bent valve somewhere in the bottom end which is why I got it for so cheap. Anyway, I want to convert it to a twin turbo... I was wondering if some of you turbo guys can point me in the right direction. I am looking to get as much power out if it as possible. I have heard of people putting the TT Supra engine in, but someone suggested I use a Skyline TT. Does anyone know if that would work? Well, any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to completely customize every part of the car over the next year or so, so my friend doesn't even reconize it! Thanks for your help.

-z

Last edited by zutoo; 08-12-03 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-12-03, 04:43 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

bent valve somewhere in the bottom end
this is a complete contradiction

I am looking to get as much power out if it as possible
I have heard of people putting the TT Supra engine in
If you want the most power as possible stick to the 400, more expensive, but also more displacment

but someone suggested I use a Skyline TT
Complete waste of money, stick to engines designed for the car.

Last edited by boredguy77; 08-12-03 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-12-03, 06:28 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

On a more positive note....Yes it is possible to swap in the Supra TT engine (2jz-gte), or turbo kits are available for the stock 300 engine (2jz-ge). Haven't heard anything about Skyline swaps though...People are making some pretty big numbers with the Supra swap. There are a few guys on here going turbo and hopefully some of them will give some input. The swap will be expensive and I doubt it will go smoothly right away, but good luck and hope you have the funding.

James
Old 08-12-03, 06:32 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Ifi t's a bent valve it's not in the bottom end. Could you clarify?
Old 08-12-03, 06:39 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

On a more positive note....Yes it is possible to swap in the Supra TT engine (2jz-gte), or turbo kits are available for the stock 300 engine (2jz-ge). Haven't heard anything about Skyline swaps though...People are making some pretty big numbers with the Supra swap. There are a few guys on here going turbo and hopefully some of them will give some input. The swap will be expensive and I doubt it will go smoothly right away, but good luck and hope you have the funding.

James
Old 08-12-03, 08:33 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

The valves are in the cylinder head - top end of the engine.
Old 08-12-03, 08:37 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

its ok guys he just got the car....lol..but still should know basic mechanics...lol

CEO
Old 08-13-03, 12:07 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I'm just curious as to what's wrong with the thing. Better a bent valve than a bent rod. Where'd he go? He no like us?
Old 08-13-03, 09:57 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe you guys scared him away from the conversion. which is good if he sells me the car since i have two complete SC400 engine/tranny combos just laying around the shop looking for a home

Seriously zutoo drop another 1UZ in it and enjoy the car while you research your options, collect your parts. THEN build it up.

Since you plan to convert from a 1UZ to a 2JZ, I suggest getting a 1/2 clip from Japan so you have all the wiring/ECU/parts etc to ease the conversion.

Luck
Old 08-13-03, 11:39 AM
zutoo
Driver

Wow, thank you all for your input! Sorry I havn't responded sooner (I wasn't scared away!) I just didn't expect so many replies so soon. I see this forum is much busier than the ES forum I usually read.

Originally posted by sweetsc400
Ifi t's a bent valve it's not in the bottom end. Could you clarify?
Ok, I know absolutly nothing about engines! I thought the mechanic said it was in the bottom end, but I must have been mistaken. I will find out exactly what is wrong with it and post whatever I find out.

I bought this car because it was always my dream to build a TT SC, so I figured whats better to do it with then a SC that needs an engine! I have seen videos of SCs with close to 1000hp! So I was hoping I would be able to get similar numbers with this one. Here is what I DO know about the car...

92 SC400
Automatic

I know thats not much info, but I do not even have the car in my possesion yet. I left it at my friends house until I have a place to park it (my driveway is currently being re-paved). It has 18" wheels on it, but they were not part of the deal, so I was planning on putting my stock ES wheels on it for a while. My friend originally wanted $3000 for the car, but I talked him down to $1000 without the wheels and tires. Well, as soon as I find out exactly whats wrong with it I will post whatever the mechanic tell me. Until then, if anyone has any questions, input, or suggestions, please post. Thank you all for your help, and I will keep you all informed throughout the various steps of the project. Thanks again!
Old 08-13-03, 03:27 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there. I actually saw a twin turbo engine from a Soarer (the euro version of the SC) on E-bay for about three grand. I kind of wanted it but it wasn't in my budget at the time. That's probably the best twin turbo engine to replace your stock one with because it's a Toyota angine and it's a perfect fit (engine and tranny) for that car. The engine may be sold from ebay already but from what I've read that's your best engine to put in there where you know you'll have absolutely no problems, which is the most important thing. I'm not sure if Nissan engine would be a good move on your part.
Old 08-13-03, 04:41 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mikeloc24
Hey there. I actually saw a twin turbo engine from a Soarer (the euro version of the SC) on E-bay for about three grand. I kind of wanted it but it wasn't in my budget at the time. That's probably the best twin turbo engine to replace your stock one with because it's a Toyota angine and it's a perfect fit (engine and tranny) for that car. The engine may be sold from ebay already but from what I've read that's your best engine to put in there where you know you'll have absolutely no problems, which is the most important thing. I'm not sure if Nissan engine would be a good move on your part.
I would have to disagree with you on that one. The 1JZ is the motor you are most likely talking about.. it is a good motor. But the 2JZ has more displacement 3.0 compared to a 2.5; is also a stock Toyota motor; and parts are readily available. If you snap a timing belt on a 1JZ where do you order the part from?

On a side note has anyone ever done a SC400- 2JZ swap?
Old 08-13-03, 05:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Well it sounds like what you need to do is to sell everything you can off the car as far as driveline and use the cash to buy new goodies. forget what's wrong with the engine internally, sell it as a short block that needs rebuilding and part out the goodies on it. this way you have made your money back, still have the car, and now have the $$ onhand to start building it. it will get you started in some way, anyhow.

So nevermind what's wrong with it since you are planning a conversion, strip it, sell it, and build it !
Old 08-13-03, 10:13 PM
zutoo
Driver

Originally posted by onelasttry
Well it sounds like what you need to do is to sell everything you can off the car as far as driveline and use the cash to buy new goodies. forget what's wrong with the engine internally, sell it as a short block that needs rebuilding and part out the goodies on it. this way you have made your money back, still have the car, and now have the $$ onhand to start building it. it will get you started in some way, anyhow.

So nevermind what's wrong with it since you are planning a conversion, strip it, sell it, and build it !
Excellent idea! I never even thought about stripping it to get up some of the money. I was just gonna park it and slowly start buying the parts until I had everything for the swap. Now I dont need to stress over where I'm gonna park it. I can bring it straight to my mechanic.

To clearify and update my previous post, it has a bent rod, not valve. My friend said he could probably drive it to work everyday, which is about 25 miles or so round trip, but it knocks like crazy.
Old 08-13-03, 11:07 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I wonder how the previous owner managed to bend the rod. That can't be easy. Either way I would guess that $1000 is a good price for that car. Good luck with it!!!

Quick Reply: 92 SC TT Swap