Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What do you thnk?

Old 08-11-03, 05:12 PM
romanM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you thnk?

I had an idea. I saw in SS mag long time ago a supra witha rb26dett. So i was thinking about getting an sc300 and doing the rb swap. Has anyone ever done this in the U.S.? I don't see any problems with this except wiring would be a pain in the *** and the turbos are on the other side (that's probably not a problem). Would this be posible? what do you think?
Old 08-11-03, 05:16 PM
romanM
Driver School Candidate

could a moderator move this to an Engine performance section. thanks
Old 08-11-03, 06:13 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

I don't see any problems with this except wiring would be a pain in the *** and the turbos are on the other side (that's probably not a problem).
the only problem I see with it is that it is a complete waste of time, energy, and money.
Old 08-12-03, 02:05 PM
romanM
Driver School Candidate

What does anybody else think. If you think the stock 2JZ GE is enough than don't post anything. I don't know why you think it would be a waste of time and money. If there is not too much serious modifications to be made this swap can be very uniqe and powerful. You can really stand out with an rb26 in sc300. Isn't that what it's all about? If it wasn't about standing out of the crowd we wouldn't modify our cars.
Old 08-13-03, 07:14 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by romanM
What does anybody else think. If you think the stock 2JZ GE is enough than don't post anything. I don't know why you think it would be a waste of time and money. If there is not too much serious modifications to be made this swap can be very uniqe and powerful. You can really stand out with an rb26 in sc300. Isn't that what it's all about? If it wasn't about standing out of the crowd we wouldn't modify our cars.
its not a waste of time and money, i agree with you. if you are a car lover and really into doing big projects, then more power to you.

Well, anything is possible. I was just on a website right now thats about RX7's with Corvette LS1 motors in them. SP Engineering put a 2jzgte into a FD RX7, i dont see why we cant fit another inline 6 (RB26) into our SC chassis. If you have the funds to do a project like this... go for it and dont forget to take pix!

oh... yea... and the wiring the car up isnt exactly going to be fun.

Last edited by kaotiq; 08-13-03 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-13-03, 07:46 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

romanM,
From what I've heard, the *JZGTE engines are stronger than the RB variety. For example, for a given amount of power, say 500hp, the 2JZGTE's are still usually running on stock bottom end, while it's common on RB26 motors (or RB motors altogether) to strengthen the bottom end (new cams, forged pistons etc.). I've even heard that the 1JZGTE is as strong, if not stronger (ok this might start a flame war but hoping it doesn't) than the RB26.
Old 08-13-03, 08:19 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with the sentiment that swapping a RB would not be the most sensible thing to do. unique? yes. probable? yes but definitely not sensible. It will have good shock factor but that's about it.
Unless you are going to go ahead and transplant the AWD system as well. Then it will truely be worth it.

Do it if
want to surprise someone
want something unique
have almost unlimited supply of cash and can afford long period of downtime.

don't do it
if you think you can make more power with RB motor over JZ motor
Old 08-13-03, 10:53 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

Do it if
want to surprise someone
want something unique
have almost unlimited supply of cash and can afford long period of downtime.

don't do it
if you think you can make more power with RB motor over JZ motor
This is almost exactly what I was trying to say, you just put it better. If you want to be unique, and have lots of dollars to spend, I would work on the 1uz, not many people have modified lexus v8's let alone, high HP v8's.