Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Battery sign is on, and car smell like something is burn...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 10:09 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery sign is on, and car smell like something is burn...

My SC400 smelled like something is burn, the battery sign is on. I just discover it this evening and I have no idea what's going on. I drove it yesterday and it was fine and did not drive it until tonight. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is it safe to drive tomorrow?
Old 07-14-03, 10:19 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Now could that be the famous alternator problem? My car is a 96 and I think they should have fix the power steering problems already and thus the alternator. uhmm, just a guess.
Old 07-14-03, 11:58 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My battery light came on a few weeks ago while, ironically, taking my car to my mechanic to have a pulley replaced. Turns out to be the alternator. The alternator alone set me back $200. So check that Alternator dude.....goodluck.
Old 07-15-03, 05:50 AM
hwallen172
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exact same thing happened to me. I had my power steering fixed as well as an oil leak around the distributor. Within a week, I began to notice an acrid electrical related smell and my battery light would come on occasionally. One day it just died in traffic and I had to have it towed. I would get your alternator looked at before it leaves you beside the road.
Old 07-15-03, 08:41 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

i wouldnt blame the alt just yet. the light only comes on when there is a voltage drop below a certain point. a dead short in a faulty circut will begin to melt stuff and you inturn smell the process happening.

your alt could be putting out just fine. the short can be bringing the voltage down.
Drive it? ummmm you have things melting and burning, you got a fire extinguisher on hand?
Old 07-15-03, 09:41 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies, I will have it look at NOW!
Old 07-15-03, 12:48 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

I took it to a mechanic and he told me it is the alternator, anyway they wanted $750 plus tax, which is what dealer charge, but they dealer provides a loaner. I read all these posts to have the alternator rebuild for $300 or less. Where can I find these deals? I am in Rowland Heights California, I can go to Upland or Rosemead, or places close to here. I think $750 is too much to pay. And I did ask the mechanic that the power steering pump could be a problem too, he quoted me $650, he doesn't think it needs to replace now. I think some one here could have it fix for less than $100. I need you help in identifying those peple.
Old 07-16-03, 12:06 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, the alternator better be made of Gold for that kind of cash. I had mine repaired in the SGV Area as a matter of fact SC4, off of Garvey. It was like $200, and they probably did it in a day or two.
Old 07-17-03, 07:51 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Yeah, it wasn't build out of gold, the place I went to use dealer parts only, so I went to another shop and they charged me $290 for a rebuilt alternator and $275 for a rebuilt power steering pump, plus tax ... and about $600 later, both have 1 year warrenty and my car drive like new again.
Old 07-19-03, 02:15 AM
SC400866
Driver School Candidate

My 93 Lexus SC400 had the same problem. I smelled smoke about 3 hrs later. The power steering pump leaked onto the alternator which caused a fire. Th fire dept came but it was already out. The big 150 fuse blew. Alternator is easy to change, you can do it in about 30-45 min from the bottom. The power steering pump is a pain. Alternator is about $200 in SAC pwer steering pump $150 I got a new wiring harness (burned) form a Lexus auto wrecker for $40. Lexus wanted me to buy the whole kit for $800.
If you need step by step let me know.
Old 01-04-05, 12:48 PM
miketyler
Rookie

I had the same exact problem, a slow PS pump leak may have been the cause. This a.m. I started to smell something that I would best describe as asbestos burning; like a burnt clutch or brakes. About that time I noticed the battery indicator lite was on. I pulled over, popped the hood and noticed smoke coming from the area where the alternator was. Also, a glow could be seen which I believe to have been a small fire but was extinguished by the time the fire truck arrived. (am buying extinguishers now for every vehicle I own)

SC400866 - if you are still reading the posts, I would appreciate any tips on removal and/or reinstallation. I need to fix the pump leak as well. Where are the common spots for this to leak? Is it the pump or the lines that leak? It is impossible to even get your hand on the alternator let alone the PS pump. I have a manual and will read up on this tonite
Old 01-04-05, 01:25 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC4Hundred
I read all these posts to have the alternator rebuild for $300 or less. Where can I find these deals? I am in Rowland Heights California, I can go to Upland or Rosemead, or places close to here. I think $750 is too much to pay.
Me, I'm one of those people who has had his alternator rebuilt/rewound. There's a place near downtown LA that I have been dealing with for years. They're called "CP Generators" and they're the best place for starters and alternators in Los Angeles. I had my alternator rebuilt for $95 flat out the door with a warranty. You can have it rebuilt to high output specs for like $150, their prices and workmanship are unmatched by anyone I've ever dealt with for starters and alternators.

Here's their info: 1834 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, 90015 - (213) 746-1060

This is what I suggest you do. Have your alternator removed from your car and then take it down to CP Generators early in the morning during the week. Early being before 10am if possible. Then go and have lunch or whatever and kill an hour or 2. By the time you're finished your alternator will be ready and you can go back home and install it. Easy as pie. I had the whole process done in one day, removal, repair, and install. Good luck
Old 01-04-05, 02:13 PM
SC400866
Driver School Candidate

SC400866 - if you are still reading the posts, I would appreciate any tips on removal and/or reinstallation. I need to fix the pump leak as well. Where are the common spots for this to leak? Is it the pump or the lines that leak? It is impossible to even get your hand on the alternator let alone the PS pump. I have a manual and will read up on this tonite
No problem,

Make sure you fix the leak otherwise you will have to keep replacing alternators. This was my problem, but I had free exchanges from Napa Auto Parts so it was easier for me at the time because I didn’t have the time to fix the leak.

The removal of the alternator is pretty easy and should take a total of 45 minutes at the most for removal and installation. I have gotten to the point where I can do this in about a total of 15 minutes. Do it from underneath the car. This is my way of doing it and it is fast but I am sure that there are other ways.

1. I have found it easiest to jack up the front of both sides of the car.
2. Take off the serpentine belt. I use a long extension to make it easier.
3. From underneath car you can see the alternator clearly. Unplug the connections carefully-make sure you get them all-because there is a little one too.
4. Loosen the two bolts/nuts holding the alternator in place.
5. *This part can be tricky* you will have to work down the alternator pass the main bar going across the car.
6. After than it is simple just reverse for installation.

Hopes this helps. It has been awhile so this is all from memory. Feel free to reply with any questions and I will gladly help you out.

As far as the leak, for me it was the gasket. It leaked from the lowest point.

I also have a Lexus Service & Repair Manual Interactive CD for the Lexus SC I could send you. If you are interested just let me know.
Old 01-04-05, 09:18 PM
ant1k
Lead Lap

i just replaced my power steering pump cuz it was leaking like a ***** luckily it didnt damge my alternator
Old 01-05-05, 04:00 AM
miketyler
Rookie

SC400866 - thanks for the response, it is nasty weather here in Dallas and I have a Tundra I can drive in the meantime while I am getting parts. I would be interested in a copy of your interactive manual, mine is a paperback Haynes.

I havent been into it yet but I may be needing the large pigtail lead as well. Is that available as aftermarket product or is that a junkyard item or?

Has anyone got opinions on these Ebay sellers selling rebuilt pumps and alternators for SC's?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7945543544

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7945630352

Quick Reply: Battery sign is on, and car smell like something is burn...