Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Powerhouse Racing Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 03:16 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerhouse Racing Stage 1

For awhile now I have been looking around and reading up about turbo kits for the 2JZ-GE. The PHR Stage 1 kit for the non turbo supra seems to be exactly what I am looking for save some of the engine managment and monitoring systems that I will have to buy seperatly. The sc300 5speed I am planning on installing the kit on will have to be a daily driver. The PHR kit gives 320-340 rwhp on stock compression. This seems like enough power for me without stressing out the drivetrain and engine of the car too much. The information on PHR's website gives me the idea that I will not lose much in reliability with the stage 1 kit. This brings me to two questions. I am aware that the engines in the non turbo supra and sc300 are similar but I just want to make sure that after buying this kit, will it fit on the sc300 just like it would on the supra? And would my replacing the stock headgasket with a 3mm metal headgasket (seems to be the choice of most on this forum) result in the car being even more reliable because I am putting less stress on the engine compression, without resulting in huge horsepower gains over the 320rwhp that the kit advertises with the stock compression? I want to put as little stress on the car as possible while still gaining the horsepower goals I am aiming for. I feel like I should get the 3mm headgasket anyway in case of a future urge for more boost.

Here is a link to PHR http://www.powerhouseracing.com/mk4na_tuk.shtml

thanks
Old 07-07-03, 03:56 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks pretty decent...whats the retail running on that kit?
Old 07-07-03, 04:50 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

I am wondering that too. It doesnt have any information on cost on the website. But to me it seems like a good kit.
Old 07-07-03, 05:01 PM
William N.
Pole Position

I called Powerhouse Racing a week ago...They want $5200 for the stage 1 kit....
I am selling my turbo kit for $3500 which has only been used for roughly 2000 miles and it dynoed 325rwhp on an automatic(you will have more rwhp if you have a 5 speed...) I will post pics very soon....need to get my digital camera back from my girlfriend....

if you're interested, let me know...tuanthuy_99@yahoo.com

William

Last edited by William N.; 07-07-03 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-08-03, 07:38 AM
5speed300
Pole Position

So does anyone know if besides allowing me to run higher boost, will a 3mm headgasket improve reliability even when the car is only running about the same amount of boost as if there was no headgasket swap?

5200 seems a little pricey, especially without BOV or any electronics. I think I might end up putting my own kit together
Old 07-08-03, 05:55 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

So does anyone know if besides allowing me to run higher boost, will a 3mm headgasket improve reliability even when the car is only running about the same amount of boost as if there was no headgasket swap?
let me start by saying the 5200 is a reasonable price. Once you start piecing your kit together, the little details get so annoying you wish you would have just bought the kit with all of the right pieces in the first place. anyways, a thicker headgasket will actually hurt you if you stay on low boost with it (hurt you performance wise) reliability it might help a little with, but I don`t think you should waste the time if you dont want to raise the boost up
Old 07-08-03, 06:00 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Once you start piecing your kit together, the little details get so annoying you wish you would have just bought the kit with all of the right pieces in the first place
I second that boredguy77.....I wish I had bought a kit in the beginning and not piece it together....It was definitely a pain in the ***...
Old 07-08-03, 07:00 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree also....a kit would have been much easier. I'd still do it again though

gadgetSC-t
Old 07-08-03, 07:11 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Default gadget

GadgetSC...I noticed that you have an automatic...I wanted to know if you have a stock automatic tranny or do you have an upgraded tranny...if its a stocker, how's it holding up? Also, how much power are you making on that SP kit w/ the SP57.....I was looking to go w/ something similar to a SP63...
Old 07-08-03, 07:52 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

tt....I have the stock tranny, now looking for some upgrade options. I havent dynoed yet so I have no idea on the amount of power. As far as how the stock tranny is holding up???? Early on when pushing it from a stand still...I would get great wheel spin from the first to second gear shift. It was great knowing I had that much power but it only lasted a few times before the tranny started slipping. Theres no problem with it shifting until I'm over 8psi, anything over that I have to let off the throttle until it shifts It definately doesnt like the 14psi I've been running. The car runs and shifts great as long as I dont push it to shift under high boost.
The SP57 spools really fast...If your considering an SP63 and your auto, I would put some money aside for some future tranny work unless you can resist the temptation to up the boost. I'm hoping to get to a dyno in the next 2 weeks, I dont think I'll have any problems since the runs will be in 3rd gear. Hoping to tune for an even 15psi.

gadgetSC-t
Old 07-08-03, 07:58 PM
racing fan
Driver

I'd wait for the boostlogic tubular kit that should be out before the summers over... I will prolly switch to it rather than another cast manifodl kit
Old 07-08-03, 08:10 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

After searching over and finding new threads on kits and prices, $5200 does seem very reasonable. You guys have pretty much convinced me to buy a kit and not piece my own together. If I purchased the PHR stage 1 kit all I would need to reliably use the car would be a S-AFC2 and the apexi boost controller(blanking out on its name AVCR or something) and then a blowoff valvle, as well as a boost and fuel pressure gauges?
Old 07-08-03, 10:27 PM
BlueC
Driver School Candidate

well look at the site now, its listed as $5299, another $100 more than expected
Old 07-09-03, 09:08 AM
William N.
Pole Position

Default gadget...

gadgetsc...thanks for the info...

William
Old 07-11-03, 06:52 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

If you're gonna stick with stock compression you're gonna need boost retard in order to make any power and have the car run worth a damn.

Electronics in order of most importance: (IMHO)
MSD 6BTM
SAFCII
WIDEBAND 02 setup (techedge)
Aux Injection controller or 440cc + LS400 maf
AVC-R

The AVC-R will allow you to carve in areas of higher boost at various rpms under the curve in areas where detonation isn't prevalent. Generally under boost the SC300 detonates most around the torque peak and slightly above, so you can typically add boost down low and up high, but not in the midrange.

I though PHR used the Toyomoto manifold, anyways????

Quick Reply: Powerhouse Racing Stage 1