Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

dying clutch. need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-03, 12:11 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dying clutch. need help.

guys my clutch is slipping like a ****. my friend dropped the car at 4k and it wouldn't even peel out. 5 then 6.. if it wasn't dying before it's dying now... What clutch do you guys recommend. i did a search and i came up with some weird posts about you know your a car nut when.... I am also gonna change the flywheel while i'm gonna change the clutch. my car is stock except for a jim wolf intake and borla exhaust. I need ya help guys. =(. as if rims didn't cost enough already lol. I've heard that after some peopel changed the flywheel on supras (The supra turbo). the car chatters. I really don't want that sound on my car. is there a flywheel that doesn't chatter besides the stock one? i would prefer a stage 1 clutch. something a little more aggressive for my driving style. Thanks again guys.. I'm gonna need to buy a clutch these few days so people that know from exp about this please respond.
Old 07-04-03, 12:11 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

also if anyone got any connects to where i can get them cheap that would also be appreciated =)
Old 07-04-03, 01:23 AM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

I put in a centerforce stage 2 clutch from www.nopionline.com and it works great. Since we have a hydrolic clutch, it retains the factory feel and actually feels a little more smooth between gears. It hooks great. $243 Be sure to get a pilot bearing, and throwout bearing when you purchase the clutch, the clutch only comes with the pressure plate and disk.
Old 07-04-03, 09:16 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

centerforce?? how are they compared to other companies like rps and clutchmasters. (not sure where centerforce is from). Also isn't stage 2 a little overkill on a stock car? I don't want to rip my tranny to pieces. Thanks

Do you know what's a good flywheel for our cars?
Old 07-04-03, 09:18 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

i wana buy a really nice clutch. is centerforce really that good of a brand?
Old 07-06-03, 04:08 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

no one else knows of any good clutches for their car? am i the only person on this forum that needs to change their clutch =*(?
Old 07-07-03, 06:57 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just recently installed an ACT clutch and it feels great...
Old 07-07-03, 10:42 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

which act clutch did you install there are a few of them. i was also thinking about getting a unordo Flywheel. Do you know if lightened flywheels chatter on our cars like the supra turbos?
Old 07-07-03, 10:48 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mrshabo
which act clutch did you install there are a few of them. i was also thinking about getting a unordo Flywheel. Do you know if lightened flywheels chatter on our cars like the supra turbos?
i got the ACT street stage 2. It came in a complete package with all the new bearings and what not.
As for lightened flywheels, im not too much of a fan of those because of the high rev that they keep up. Im not sure if they chatter either. When i got my clutch installed, i just resurfaced my OEM flywheel. Its ok right now, cant complain.
Old 07-07-03, 11:02 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

i heard that the clutch chatters sometimes too if they aren't good quality. does yours chatter? also can you send me the link to where i can buy it?
Old 07-07-03, 11:04 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

also why did you go stage 2? is your car modded? my car is basically stock so i would think stage 1 is better for me. i don't want anything too rough since i live in nyc and traffic is killer here. how is the engagement on the stage 2 is it smooth? what did you mean when you said that you didnt' like flywheels cause of the high revs it gives.

Last edited by mrshabo; 07-07-03 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-07-03, 11:24 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mrshabo
also why did you go stage 2? is your car modded? my car is basically stock so i would think stage 1 is better for me. i don't want anything too rough since i live in nyc and traffic is killer here. how is the engagement on the stage 2 is it smooth? what did you mean when you said that you didnt' like flywheels cause of the high revs it gives.
well a lightened flywheel means lighter in lbs. So when you are on the gas of your car, the flywheel spins more because of the lighter weight giving the car a quicker response but at the same time jumps to higher RPM's quicker than usual. My car isnt that modded so, i dont have much use for a lightened flywheel. I got the ACT stage 2 becuase of the 1jz that i have my eyes on. The clutch itself is pretty smooth and holds power well. I have it on both of my cars.

goto www.sixautoworks.com and send in a request for a clutch from them. They gave me a great price very very dirt cheap.

Last edited by kaotiq; 07-07-03 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-07-03, 11:26 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

so when a car goes to higher rpm quicker isn't that a good thing lol. that would mean you pick up quicker... i don't see how that's a bad thing
Old 07-08-03, 07:51 AM
Enigma
Driver School Candidate

Default Sixautoworks?

I'm looking at a new clutch in the next few months too -- when I went to www.sixautoworks.com, I got nothing. Tried several spelling variations, also with no luck.

Any ideas?
Old 07-08-03, 08:28 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

try this

http://www.sixautoworks.com/catalog/default.php

Quick Reply: dying clutch. need help.