Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake conclusions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 03:18 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake conclusions

Well, I traded my WR intake for the stock one yesterday minus the snorkel. The results are basically nothing, there's no significant difference. The car seems to launch better and have a little more low end torque, and it's quieter, but after my chip adjusted itself the car seems as fast as ever, and I kind of like the quieter sound now.

I guess the word on SC400 upgrades is chip and exhaust - Toyota made the intake the right way.

However. I am going to see if I can find someone to fab up a cold air scoop that will plug into the snorkel's fitting area so I can have ram-air on the stock intake box. I do recommend a TRD or K&N filter though, any performance SC doesn't need to fight that godawful paper filter.
Old 06-05-03, 01:55 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you have an aftermarket intake system, I think the underhood engine heat is robbing you of that performance gain. My friend had the K&N FIPK in his V8 Tundra and we didn't notice any significant gains, it just made it sound cool. In fact, it made his truck seem more sluggish. He aslo had the heat shield, which probably didn't work at all. Prior to this system, he just had the Drop-In K&N,and THAT made a difference. I agrree with you MadMax about the SC intake system. Toyota made it the right way.
Old 06-05-03, 09:57 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I agree too. I just put an Injen intake in and I didn't really notice any power gains. I do have to say it looks pretty sweet though. My chip and exhaust did the most for me.
Old 06-05-03, 10:25 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed a Injen intake also...Looks sweet!! Nice and polished with a heatshield.....

It actually made my engine looks 10times better....

Performance: It was much better than the K&N cone and MAF setup..The engine is definitely A LOT louder than of stock and K&N..I can actually feel some gains when going at 3 RPM, in comparison to the other two setups....

My word of advice here is to, dyno for results...You'll never know

I'm planning to get the Telsa G-tech Pro Dyno...I heard of good things from the product...

Last edited by One HoT SC400; 06-05-03 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 11:30 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Injen Intake

When I installed my injen intake, all i noticed was that it was louder and that was fairly it aside from a more mushy type feeling to the gas pedal. That changed after doing the cold air scoop from where the snorkel would be straight to the hole next to the fog light. I would recommend this as you would feel a difference then.

Last edited by LexAnt; 06-05-03 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 11:35 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BFI ????

I was thinking about doing the BFI #3....

LINK

I was looking to do this, anyone have anything against this ??? I see it being the same if not better as a aftermarket one you can buy.....

Shawn
Old 06-06-03, 12:24 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

BFI + TRD = best intake
Old 06-06-03, 12:34 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My thoughts on Intakes.

BFI: Is the best way to go for performance gains.

Aftermarket intakes are noisier because they dont have the extra chamber that the stock unit has. As a result the stock intake arm 'holds' more air than a straight tube.... but also results in the slight mushy feel. that you may be feeling via 'butt Dyno'.

Aftermarket intakes look better
Old 06-06-03, 01:01 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I came from a MAF + K&N & APC filters + CAB and switched to my old BFI + TRD filter and it was actually louder than the pod setup. Maybe because my CAB was made of 14-awg powder-coated aluminum and my current BFI covers are just sheet aluminum. Tomorrow I will use the current BFI covers as templates to cut out nice, thick 14-18awg aluminum covers . BFI is DEFINITELY better performing than a cone filter setup.
Old 06-06-03, 01:23 AM
SRQ400
Pole Position

Thumbs up

My SRT HF intake has defiantly produced more power. Yes it’s louder but the power is there, probably because of the piggyback unit for the OBD II. I wouldn’t go back to the OEM intake.
Old 06-06-03, 01:35 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SRQ400
My SRT HF intake has defiantly produced more power. Yes it’s louder but the power is there, probably because of the piggyback unit for the OBD II. I wouldn’t go back to the OEM intake.
Which SRT are you using? They don't make an SC-spec intake...
Old 06-06-03, 01:41 AM
SRQ400
Pole Position

The same one for GS 400, it’s printed on the piggyback for 98+ GS, LS and SC 400.
Old 06-06-03, 01:46 AM
SRQ400
Pole Position

And it looks like this...
Attached Thumbnails Intake conclusions-pic2mail-copy-of-000_0013.jpg  
Old 06-06-03, 03:45 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lex400sc
I came from a MAF + K&N & APC filters + CAB and switched to my old BFI + TRD filter and it was actually louder than the pod setup. Maybe because my CAB was made of 14-awg powder-coated aluminum and my current BFI covers are just sheet aluminum. Tomorrow I will use the current BFI covers as templates to cut out nice, thick 14-18awg aluminum covers . BFI is DEFINITELY better performing than a cone filter setup.
So you actually did the BFI on the soarer page? which one did you do? 3?

As indicated on their test page removing the snorkel reduces pressure drop by quite a bit. I think I'll do the 3 "ghetto" velocity stack setup and just cut my old cold air intake plate to fit the box around it, and cut the edge off the other side to seal off the engine bay. That's enough for me.

If you don't feel like hacking up the stock intake remove the snorkel, that's your best option. I got the same 0-60 results with my stock intake (6.9 on the stopwatch) that I had with my WR CAI, so I'm thinking that the gain in low end will be retained and the gain in high end will be achieved with the BFI 3 setup.
Old 06-06-03, 09:49 AM
Lvangundy

Rich - maybe you should add something to your FAQ that stresses how little the K&N filter does for performance.

Here's 2 references (both dyno tests) that show the K&N filter does nothing for the 1UZ-FE.

http://www.planetsoarer.com/dynoday/dyno2.html <-- SC

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=63761 <-- LS

Quick Reply: Intake conclusions