Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'92 SC400 revival

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 05:30 PM
Carib
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 SC400 revival

Hey guys,

Need advice on reviving a '92 SC400.

Background...
It's been many, many years since I last visited this forum as I sold my SC400 back in 2008 and my Dad (who also had one) had an accident which pretty much caused him to be bedridden since 2010.
This is regarding his '92 SC400 which has been sitting in our garage since that time. My sister wants to use my Dad's car now and wants my help to get it road ready.

Issues:
1) It has been garaged for 7 years.
2) Prior to that, it was being used, but the engine would spontaneously cut off when idling in traffic. Sometimes it would start easily, sometimes it would take many cranks of the engine to start.
3) I'm not physically located in the same city with my sister/car... any info will be relayed to her who will be doing the work. (so yes, clear and basic info will be greatly appreciated).

My questions are:
Having sat for 7 years, what are some of the precautions/things that should be checked to ensure nothing is damage anything when trying to start it...?
- Planning on removing the spark plugs and hand cranking the engine over to ensure nothing has seized.
- Changing the oil and filter will be done after.
- Then what? Crank it over?
I'm sure the gas in the tank has gone bad and don't know if they may have gummed up the lines/injectors, etc... The extreme change in Toronto's temperature after so many seasons must have surely affected the gas in the system (I'm assuming). How to go about checking for that and if so, cleaning the lines/injectors, etc?

For the intermittent engine shut down and hard start, has anyone experienced that before? I read somewhere/got people's opinions many years ago that it might be the ECU causing that trouble.

Other than that, any other suggestions on how to go about reviving this car?

Also, any of you in Toronto knows any of a great mechanic shop that can help revive this car if needed?

Thanks.
Carib.
Old 03-24-17, 05:26 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like this should become a parts car. I'm in the area and see SC's for sale fairly often on Kijiji. Look for a running car in the same color and use your fathers car as a donor for things needed.

I picked up a 92 in mid January that's virtually rust free. I picked up a 93 the next day for parts. Had I not been able to buy both a runner and parts car I would have passed. All the little stuff on a parts car is super handy and has paid off already. I also go to the parts car first when working on a given item/system. If I make a mistake or break something I'd rather it be the donor car.

works for me.
Old 03-25-17, 09:37 AM
Carib
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a possibility to consider.
Old 03-25-17, 10:22 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Set up a kijiji search and you'll find 4 up for grabs right now