Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 sc400 cornering lamps, bulb choice, best practice etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 02:03 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 92 sc400 cornering lamps, bulb choice, best practice etc.

I've traced some questionable wiring to the cornering lamps on my 92 and have spotted some blue bulbs in the housings. I'm going to put regular bulbs in there and investigate the wiring. I suspect this is what some of the jingus is I found in the fuse panel with burnt wires, and aftermarket relays etc.

So is there a low voltage option (standard non tacky bulb color)? I'm thinking an LED or something like that might be better for the aging wires and to reduce heat.

I'm not looking to modify function beyond stock unless there is a compelling reason to do so. I'm also not so much in the mood to spend extra time on this, it's time to button up and drive.

I'll be diving in tonight and likely looking for parts tomorrow.

What works best?
Old 03-17-17, 02:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

There is a dizzying array of LED options, what are you looking for? What colour? Brightness?
Old 03-17-17, 05:32 PM
Returd
Intermediate

I'm looking for a close color match to the headlights, so I guess somewhere between 3500-5000 k.

I'm unfamiliar with the cornering lamp function but assume they come on when cornering and are otherwise not lit.

I'm not against having them on continuously with the headlights but am too lazy to do anything too drastic to make that happen. If this is a simple mod I'll investigate but I've got the stereo and alarm system just about buttoned up and need to get the interior back in soon. I'll be pulling the wheels and fender liners tomorrow to spray in some rustproofing wax so if there's something that I should attend to while this is apart I'm all ears.

I'm thinking LED just to reduce current load on the wiring. I also assume LED will have a long life and I won't have to bother with it for years. My style is low key, understated and blend in so I'm not looking for any fancy colors.

I am a fan of good headlights however, so more (well aimed) light at night would be welcome.

Should I just be ordering bulbs etc from Amazon/ebay?
Old 03-17-17, 05:43 PM
Returd
Intermediate

just a note for myself so I can find this later. Turns out this is a much discussed topic. I may convert later to on all the time but for now I think I'm just going to pull all the marginal work done by the PO

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-lights-5.html
Old 03-18-17, 06:17 AM
Returd
Intermediate

spent a little more time looking at this, and I'm getting dizzy. Snowing today, sun tomorrow so rustproofing/cornering lamp is tomorrow's job. I put a little more thought into this and if I were to do any kind of conversion I'd like swap to projectors with LED bulbs and make it switchable.

Is there a projector housing available somewhere for 92?
Old 03-20-17, 05:40 PM
Returd
Intermediate

I discovered some dubious modification at the cornering light bulb connection. I think this is the end of the line of a number of relays and marginal connections I've discovered at the fuse panel, in the kick panel area and under the hood.

I also too the car out for a 5 minute run today as I had to start it to move it anyway. I discovered the signals not working. This is prior to my "return to stock" wiring job on the 92.

I did notice a difference between the wiring arrangement on the 92 and my 93 parts car. In the 93 I found a number of relays in the drivers side front fender area just behind the cornering light. These relays aren't present in the 92. To my eye it doesn't look like those relays were removed from the 92.

Does anyone know what they are for in the 93?
Old 03-21-17, 06:55 AM
Returd
Intermediate

I was able to get a closer look at the suspect relays on my 93 today. They are marked as DRL, or daytime running lights.

I'm in Canada where DRL's became mandatory in the 90's not sure what year.

Does anyone know the DRL arrangement of a 92?