Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

how to remove drivers door arm rest

Old 02-19-17, 05:52 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default how to remove drivers door arm rest

Hey folks , how do you remove arm rest on door panel. Does door panel need to be removed or can it be removed by itself . The leather on mine is cracking and would like to replace
Old 02-19-17, 06:24 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You have to remove the door panel first, there are a few hidden screws 2 Phillips under the arm rest, one right behind a plastic in the door handle, take small a flat head and put it between the window control panel and arm rest and gently pry it off it'll pop right off assuming you removed all the screws, lift the door panel up to separate it from the door
the reason I replied is because I did this 2 days ago, it's a cake of a job
flip the door panel and remove the arm rest
Old 02-19-17, 07:24 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, the door panel needs to be removed. First, Pryor up on the front of the window switch ( or the back because there is a tab that holds it in place that will break). Then remove the two caps on the screws closest to the door hinge. Remove those 2 screws. Then remove the black plastic cover behind the inner door handle by prying from the front near the lock switch. There is a Phillips #2 screw behind it. Then remove the 3 Phillips #2 screws at the bottom of the door panel. Then remove the two long and hidden Phillips screws from under the arm rest. You can see them if you look into the pocket and up. It's up to you at this point but I always reach in and disconnect the light before removal. Now gently pry the door panel from the door. There are several clips (7 I believe) that hold it in place. Once it is free you will have to disconnect the memory seat switch (drivers side) and then disconnect the lock cable and door handle cable. The door panel is now free from the door. If you turn it over it will be self explanatory which screws to remove to take off the arm rest.
Many trim shops can recover these fairly inexpensive.

Good luck!!

Jim
Old 02-19-17, 09:32 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

I sort of recall being able to do it without removing the door panel. On one hand, every time you remove the door panels, more plastic breaks, so it's advisable to do so as infrequently as possible. On the other hand, it's so difficult to locate all the little screws on the bottom of the arm rest, it takes less time to just pop off the panel.
Old 02-20-17, 08:28 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have my door panels off and just took a look. The leather padded armrest is attached with 6 philips screws that are accessible from the underside (reaching up through the door pocket) in addition to the above quoted hidden screw at the window switch. If you want to remove the arm rest and pocket portion of the door panel, the whole panel will need to come off the door, but the padded section only can probably be done with the panel still in place. I'd have a magnet on the screw as you're removing them or they'll be easily lost. I'd also use a mini wratchet with philips bit over a stubby screwdriver..

I can post photos if this is unclear.
Old 02-22-17, 04:00 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Returd
I have my door panels off and just took a look. The leather padded armrest is attached with 6 philips screws that are accessible from the underside (reaching up through the door pocket) in addition to the above quoted hidden screw at the window switch. If you want to remove the arm rest and pocket portion of the door panel, the whole panel will need to come off the door, but the padded section only can probably be done with the panel still in place. I'd have a magnet on the screw as you're removing them or they'll be easily lost. I'd also use a mini wratchet with philips bit over a stubby screwdriver..

I can post photos if this is unclear.

Thanks if you could post a pic
Old 02-22-17, 05:50 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 92, no screw from the underside of the switch, just screws reached from the bottom of the armrest via the main pouch.
Attached Thumbnails how to remove drivers door arm rest-img_1231.jpg   how to remove drivers door arm rest-img_1232.jpg   how to remove drivers door arm rest-img_1233.jpg