Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC 400 Starter Motor Removal

Old 02-15-17, 09:39 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by supra9398
In the process of trying to remove it, the outer cover slid further off, and now it will not go back on. That can't be good.
probably just the brushes look at this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
st-6.pdf (46.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 02-15-17, 09:41 AM
supra9398
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
What is "IT"? Are we talking about the whole starter & solenoid assembly OR you are still trying to slide off just a part.

Salim
"It" is the motor itself, separate from the mount. One internal piece (red arrow) is stuck, and the cover (blue arrow) has slid off and will not go back on.
Attached Thumbnails SC 400 Starter Motor Removal-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 02-15-17, 09:45 AM
supra9398
Rookie

Originally Posted by billydpowe
probably just the brushes look at this
Thank you for that; those drawings are quite helpful. Just to be clear, are you saying that I should remove the dust cover and brush holder?

Sorry for my ignorance, everyone; I have limited mechanical experience. Cleaning the throttle body was the most I've ever had to do before this.
Old 02-15-17, 09:49 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

"It" is the motor itself, separate from the mount. One internal piece (red arrow) is stuck, and the cover (blue arrow) has slid off and will not go back on.
explaning brushes: the brushes run on the back of the armature, and are spring loaded and when you poll back far enough, the armature slides from beneath the brushes and they will not let the armature back in..
have you ever seen brushes in any motor??? you should have some knowledge or you should not be doing it your self .I feel like I have to show you a photo of everything...
Old 02-15-17, 09:58 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Thank you for that; those drawings are quite helpful. Just to be clear, are you saying that I should remove the dust cover and brush holder?

Sorry for my ignorance, everyone; I have limited mechanical experience. Cleaning the throttle body was the most I've ever had to do before this.
Just to be clear, are you saying that I should remove the dust cover and brush holder? YOU cannot reassemble it any other way....
Old 02-15-17, 10:31 AM
supra9398
Rookie

Originally Posted by billydpowe
explaning brushes: the brushes run on the back of the armature, and are spring loaded and when you poll back far enough, the armature slides from beneath the brushes and they will not let the armature back in..
have you ever seen brushes in any motor??? you should have some knowledge or you should not be doing it your self .I feel like I have to show you a photo of everything...
Excellent, good to know. Thank you.
Old 02-15-17, 07:18 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

ok, I am out of here, back to my LS400.... good luck..
Old 02-15-17, 07:57 PM
supra9398
Rookie

Alright, I finally got back to the car (I was away today). The problem is that the rear portion of the motor cover (red arrow) will not slide back on. If I understand those diagrams correctly, the spring mechanism is inside the other part.
Attached Thumbnails SC 400 Starter Motor Removal-img_4278.jpg  
Old 02-16-17, 05:22 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

IMHO you are still on the wrong track. Try removing the part of the startedrnear the right side of the red arrow tip form the engine block. You can see the bolt peeking from the transmission side.

Once you have the motor detached you can decide to take the apart further or reassemble it. Counter to my first advice, since you have the motor apart, you may like to look for damage. If you have been tugging, the brushes may be damaged and the commutator may need cleaning.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 02-16-17 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 01:45 PM
supra9398
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
IMHO you are still on the wrong track. Try removing the part of the startedrnear the right side of the red arrow tip form the engine block. You can see the bolt peeking from the transmission side.

Once you have the motor detached you can decide to take the apart further or reassemble it. Counter to my first advice, since you have the motor apart, you may like to look for damage. If you have been tugging, the brushes may be damaged and the commutator may need cleaning.

Salim
I am stuck with this method for two reasons; firstly, I have already started down this path, and secondly, I cannot loosen the bolts to remove the mount.

I still cannot get the darn thing off. I need a bit more room; that pipe (coolant, I believe) that runs through the center of the V is in the way.
Old 02-17-17, 01:59 PM
supra9398
Rookie

I just got it out. Finally! It took quite a bit of wiggling, but it's finally off.

With the starter motor out and disassembled, what about the brushes? They look fine to me, but then again, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. How worn is too worn?

Last edited by supra9398; 02-17-17 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 06:28 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Do a thorough visual and look for broken off chunks. There is a service limit (which I dont know).

Salim
Old 02-23-17, 11:27 AM
supra9398
Rookie

I replaced one of the contacts (passenger side) without issue. However, I cannot remove the other one. What tool have people used to remove the bolt on the driver's side contact? I can't get a wrench on it from the side because of the plastic thing that envelops it, I can't go from the top (as I did on the other side) due to the wire plug thing (not sure what it's called), and I can't get a socket on it because there is not enough room.
Old 04-27-17, 09:09 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just removed my starter nd feel your grief on removing the bolts (worst design ever). It's doable. I wouldn't recommend pulling apart the starter in place.
Old 05-01-17, 07:35 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So i successfully removed the starter on my 92. it wasn't fun or easy but it got done. On the passenger side I used a 1/2" drive ratchet and 12 point medium length socket. On the drivers side I used a swivel headed 14mm gear wrench. For the gear wrench I had to grind the head to a smaller diameter in order to get it on.

Once out I found the contacts to be about half consumed so i wasn't in imminent danger but I nbowknow I'll be in good shape for a long while. Another poster suggested putting a slot in the mounting bolts to get a screwdriver in there. this is genius as it made reinstallation very quick.

I didn't remove the coolant crossover and didn't was also able to work around the EGR pipe.

even after all the grief of pulling it out, i would not have pulled it apart in place.

I am going to reverse the mounting bolts on my spare engine so they screw into the bell housing rather than the starter. I'm not sure if this mod can be done in place though. I'll be doing this on an engine stand.

I'd say the biggest benefit of the job is that the intake upper/lower, and throttle body needed a serious cleaning and they are now sparkly clean. If i had more time I would have port matched everything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC 400 Starter Motor Removal