Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Troubleshoot: Starter or Starter Contacts?

Old 01-11-17, 02:01 PM
supra9398
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshoot: Starter or Starter Contacts?

Here is my situation: I have a 2000 SC 400 with 54,000 miles. When I attempt to start the vehicle, I get only a single click. Having read other threads here on ClubLexus, it is clear that the issue is related to the starter motor (just to be sure, I had AAA check the battery and alternator, both of which are fine). However, in reading existing threads I have been unable to find how to determine if the issue is with the starter motor itself or with the starter contacts. Is there any way to determine which of these is the issue without disassembling anything? I would like to have the part already ordered before I go through all the trouble of accessing the starter on this car. The mileage makes it hard to believe that it could be the starter motor itself, although the contacts shouldn't have worn this quickly, either. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 01-11-17, 02:50 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

Before you do either, I would recommend trying a different battery if you have a known good working one on hand that can be borrowed briefly. I've seen some things with these cars (and others) that absolutely positively have to be the starter ... but turn out to be the battery. And I've had the battery pro get conflicting alternator vs battery readings.

Getting the starter out of the 1UZ sounds like a nightmare. Getting to the starter for replacing the contacts isn't too bad, being mostly just disassembly of the intake. If you're sure it's the starter, I would just order new contacts and hope that's all it turns out to be.
Old 01-11-17, 04:49 PM
supra9398
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
Before you do either, I would recommend trying a different battery if you have a known good working one on hand that can be borrowed briefly. I've seen some things with these cars (and others) that absolutely positively have to be the starter ... but turn out to be the battery. And I've had the battery pro get conflicting alternator vs battery readings.

Getting the starter out of the 1UZ sounds like a nightmare. Getting to the starter for replacing the contacts isn't too bad, being mostly just disassembly of the intake. If you're sure it's the starter, I would just order new contacts and hope that's all it turns out to be.
Thank you for your quick reply. I tried the fully charged and working battery from my other SC 400, and the problem persists, so it is definitely not the battery or the alternator. If there is no way for me to determine whether the problem is the starter or the starter contacts, I will take your suggestion and just order the contacts.
Old 01-11-17, 06:01 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Bummer. But, at least you didn't do a ton of work to address the starter and find out it was just a battery issue...

The other thing that might be worth checking before you dive in is the main engine bay ground points. That probably would have turned up through testing the alternator, but who knows.
Old 01-12-17, 02:22 PM
supra9398
Rookie

Where can I buy new starter contacts? I can't seem to find them anywhere now that Lextreme no longer sells anything.
Old 01-12-17, 03:56 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I ordered my 2JZ set from the dealer, using part numbers I found on here.
Old 04-27-17, 09:06 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2

how do you change contacts without removing the starter?
Old 04-27-17, 11:15 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Returd
how do you change contacts without removing the starter?
Looks like you already found the answer to that in the other thread.