Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ideas and Thoughts on Sc400 not idling

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 09:58 AM
AceVL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ideas and Thoughts on Sc400 not idling

So I am looking to get another SC400 (precious RIP) : (

and found one that's a good price but says:

"doesn't idle, but runs and drives great"

i talked to the guy selling it and he mentioned he just has to give it gas at idle and it will run and drive perfectly.

Does it seem like the fuel pump mod would work and help solve it? Or Does it seem like something else.

From what I've read on similar issues, it seems like it's the fuel pump.

Id like to get it if I don't end up having to replace $$$$$ of stuff. It's a 93 sc400 with 180k miles

let me know
Old 01-04-17, 06:35 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll have to actually drive it and see if there are any other issues of drive ability.. With limited information my first thought is the IACV (idle air control valve) Here is a DIY on how to clean it. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/658472-diy-with-pics-cleaning-the-iacv-sc400.html
It will cost you nothing to clean it and can do nothing but improve the idle. However my first suggestion is to drive it and see if it has additional hesitation or driveability issues to narrow a diagnosis. Believe it or not sometimes sellers understate the extent of issues with a vehicle when trying to sell them.
Old 01-05-17, 08:54 AM
AceVL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dogwisper
You'll have to actually drive it and see if there are any other issues of drive ability.. With limited information my first thought is the IACV (idle air control valve) Here is a DIY on how to clean it. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/658472-diy-with-pics-cleaning-the-iacv-sc400.html
It will cost you nothing to clean it and can do nothing but improve the idle. However my first suggestion is to drive it and see if it has additional hesitation or driveability issues to narrow a diagnosis. Believe it or not sometimes sellers understate the extent of issues with a vehicle when trying to sell them.
thanks for the information. I might go check it out and see all of the issues.

But sellers never hide any information from buyers ever!