Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 10:30 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So my amp choices to run a 10" sub are between these two, or purchase a more suitable unit. I welcome advice.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket stereo-img_1213.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1209.jpg  
Old 02-15-17, 10:34 AM
Returd
Intermediate

To deal with the gap between the speakers and the speaker box as mentioned in post 42. I opted against using silicone as this would have bonded the speaker to the speaker box. I instead cut a rubber donut for each speaker and bonded it to the speaker with contact cement.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket stereo-img_1028.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1029.jpg  
Old 02-15-17, 10:44 AM
Returd
Intermediate

I also did a mock up on the reverse camera on the wing from my parts car. I'm pleased with how it came out and am going to go ahead with the on my driver.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket stereo-img_1208.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1210.jpg  
Old 02-15-17, 02:05 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Won't the camera be pointed sharply down toward the ground? I wouldn't think the lens is adjustable enough, if at all, to account for that mounting angle.
Old 02-15-17, 04:41 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by t2d2
Won't the camera be pointed sharply down toward the ground? I wouldn't think the lens is adjustable enough, if at all, to account for that mounting angle.

I've got about the same down angle with the camera on my van. With that said changing the angle upward won't be much trouble, it'll require making the square hole a rectangle. I won't do final bracket bonding until everything is hooked up. I'l report back on the angle.
Old 02-15-17, 05:04 PM
tsmith1315
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Returd
So my amp choices to run a 10" sub are between these two, or purchase a more suitable unit. I welcome advice.
The Audio Art is a better quality amp- no contest, very well made. Or- if you didn't mind losing the front-rear fade ability, it would do a great job on the full-range speakers while using the Alpine on the sub.

-Tim
Old 02-16-17, 10:29 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tsmith1315
The Audio Art is a better quality amp- no contest, very well made. Or- if you didn't mind losing the front-rear fade ability, it would do a great job on the full-range speakers while using the Alpine on the sub.

-Tim
The stereo shop folks told me the Kenwood head unit will have enough poop to drive the speakers without an amp. Since I have it, I'll investigate. I'm a total boob when it comes to stereo stuff. I imagine as long as the initial fade is okay between front and back I woudn't care about adjustment.

I'm putting 4" Audison's into the doors and currently have 6.5" Infinity 6002i 2 way speakers and Clarion SRQ1630R 6.5" from the parts car and driver I just bought.

According to the stereo shop guy, he said to go with the Infinit's. He also said a new pair of 6.5" Audison's would be much better (which would of course he would sell me). Again, advice welcome.

Last edited by Returd; 02-16-17 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 01:30 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Spent a few hours making the factory sub mounting ring mate up with my 10" low profile Helix Esprit sub. I had to grind out clearances for the spokes and then I drilled and tapped for 10/24 screws to fasten it down. I have yet to see if I need to enlarge the package tray hole. The grill doesn't fit on the new sub but I have an easy plan for that.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket stereo-img_1222.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1217.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1216.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1220.jpg  
Old 02-16-17, 06:25 PM
tsmith1315
Rookie

Originally Posted by Returd
The stereo shop folks told me the Kenwood head unit will have enough poop to drive the speakers without an amp. Since I have it, I'll investigate. I'm a total boob when it comes to stereo stuff. I imagine as long as the initial fade is okay between front and back I woudn't care about adjustment.

I'm putting 4" Audison's into the doors and currently have 6.5" Infinity 6002i 2 way speakers and Clarion SRQ1630R 6.5" from the parts car and driver I just bought.

According to the stereo shop guy, he said to go with the Infinit's. He also said a new pair of 6.5" Audison's would be much better (which would of course he would sell me). Again, advice welcome.
Head unit power won't compare to clean power from a real amp. It would probably be easier to use head unit power, but if you're willing to tackle door hinge replacement, I can't imagine connecting a power amp would be too much trouble for you.

I'm not familiar with any of the 6½'s. The Infinity and Clarion speakers look to be your normal decent-quality car audio speakers. The better of the two would likely be a matter of personal taste. Both have textile dome tweeters, which are indicative of a step or two up in quality. If it were mine, I'd arrange it so they can be swapped from the top by only removing the grills and try them both. The Audison's are likely to be better, but you may be happy with what you already have with some decent power on them. Especially since they're paid for. I certainly wouldn't pony up for the Audison's and then run them off the head unit.

-Tim
Old 02-16-17, 08:01 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I'll move forward on the assumption both amps are going in. Both amps will go in the trunk in the old cd/amp locations. I guess that means a fatter power cable from the battery, 6 rca's from head unit to amps and speaker wires routed from the trunk.

Am I correct with this?
Old 02-16-17, 08:09 PM
Returd
Intermediate

I got the sub in place, and yes I did have to open the hole up quite a bit. I'm sure no surprise to others that have put in aftermarket subs.

Lots of room between the gas tank and sub.

I deburred the hole with a file, it was like a sharks mouth. I also swept the trunk with a magnet and vacuumed after the photos. Conductive scraps and particles left behind didn't seem like a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket stereo-img_1224.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1225.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1226.jpg  

Last edited by Returd; 02-16-17 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 05:47 PM
Returd
Intermediate

I made an amp bracket today. I decided to mount in the same location as the stock amp. I had some 1/16 aluminum sheet and added rivnuts to the stock brackets and my new brackets, I mocked it up first in cardboard and then sheared and bent the sheet. I put a cover on it that will be flush with the trunk liner on that side. When done I'll stic a piece of carpet onto the top of the cover. It's sturdy enough to take a few hits from groceries etc.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket stereo-img_1270.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1265.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1268.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1267.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1269.jpg  

Aftermarket stereo-img_1260.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1266.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1261.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1263.jpg   Aftermarket stereo-img_1262.jpg  

Old 03-08-17, 07:57 PM
tsmith1315
Rookie

Beautiful!
Old 03-08-17, 11:01 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

That did come out quite nice. I installed a different Alpine with the same form factor directly to where the stock amp cage mounts, and left it uncovered for maximum airflow. The downside is, it can get wet fairly easily when the trunk is open and it's raining heavily.
Old 03-09-17, 04:38 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by t2d2
That did come out quite nice. I installed a different Alpine with the same form factor directly to where the stock amp cage mounts, and left it uncovered for maximum airflow. The downside is, it can get wet fairly easily when the trunk is open and it's raining heavily.

I thought about airflow and it's pretty open but I'll put a temperature gauge on the amp when I first run it. There's room for a computer cooling fan

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo