Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions for you experienced guru's.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-16, 03:10 AM
RedPenguin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for you experienced guru's.

First off I need to ask if I can ground my door control switch to any frame area. My black and white ground wire coming off the window regulator tore apart in the door jam and i would like to just bolt it down to the door. It seems legit but what would you do?

Now to the fun question. I plan to look through some off the build threads and see what everybody has done here already but It would be much nicer if some answers came to me before I descover problems. No more stalling, here it is. Can I push my 4.0 to 400 horse with a single turbo? Can a single turbo deliver plus 20-25 horse to each cylinder without breaking something?

I have heard about the SC400 weak internals. What excatly is it that has failed in previous projects that I could attempt to prevent with cautious development?
Old 11-24-16, 04:47 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

There are some VERY experienced gurus here who can answer this far better than I can but I will offer my thoughts:

The short answer is that there is only so much support for forced induction on the 1UZ-FE engines. Eaton M-112 superchargers rather than turbochargers have been more commonly used but not resulting in 400whp output.

Lextreme is the main source for xUZ upgrade parts but be prepared to spend quite a bit. The 1UZ wasn't designed for stress boost pressure puts on the internals. The rods on the older 1UZ-FE's are thicker and stronger than the very thin rods on the 1998+ VVT-i versions (despite their 290hp crank output). Still, the engine requires considerable work, a fully upgraded fuel system and standalone engine management system to get it where you want to go.

SC400 1UZ forced induction builds do exist but they are very few. You will find more support for roots supercharger 1UZ builds with V8 Soarers (same exact car and drivetrain only in RHD) that have been imported to Australia and New Zealand even than in the USA. And the horsepower gains with an Eaton M-112 on the older non-VVT engines are decent but still far behind what an GM LS1 will do.

Conversely there is far more widespread support, baked-in potential and modern parts support for nearly all flavors of the 2JZ and 1JZ engine series be they the GTE variants or GE's converted to turbo. And the cost, while no JZ turbo setup is exactly cheap, will be far less than any xUZ boost project.

If you are really determined I do not wish to dissuade you but you should know what you would be getting into for time, custom work and the level of financial investment. You will find some 1UZ-FE boost project threads and there are a couple of active members here with boosted 1UZ SC400's but very, very few people do this. If it is something you decide you really want to do just be aware that it will be mostly custom work and it will cost you.

1UZ's are tough as nails and insanely reliable and long lasting engines in stock form (even with manual transmission swaps) but they do not respond to boost modifications easily the way GM or Ford V8's do. They don't respond that well to naturally aspirated power adding modifications either. To be fair, 2JZ-GE engines also don't respond well to naturally aspirated power adding modifications... but JZ engines do respond extremely well and easily to turbocharging.

As to your wiring issue I'd suggest running a new replacement wire in that harness with the original routing but I am not as well versed in the electrical body harnesses as some others are.

The best thing is to look up prior builds and do some research. I would suggest you not tie yourself to the V8 engine if you are thinking of giving your SC400 400whp. An engine swap to a 2JZ-GTE or 1JZ-GTE is still going to be the best bang for the buck in comparison. Even a GM LS1 or GM 5.3L w/turbo (not common with SC's but they have been done) are ultimately better starting points for boost if you absolutely want to have a V8 turbo SC.

The application you describe is nonetheless possible and it has been done before... but it's just not easy or anywhere near affordable to do it right.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-24-16 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Grammatical corrections
Old 11-24-16, 07:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

on the ground issue I would test it, likely if they are both body grounds it should be fine. I am not sure on this one haven't messed with it.

Yes you can get that power out of a single turbo 1uz easy, it has 250 something to start with.
above 400 it will have some real nice torque which is even more important, and would make a really nice street setup.

The issue really is... its not a bolt on affair. you need to make the headers work for turbo's or build new manifolds as there is no kit available.
so that is why alot of people swap in 2jz swaps, no one wants to pay for fabrication and most people can't fab themselves, if you are prepared to do one of those then you can end up with a really nice and potent setup. The early 1uz is built really strong it just has an aluminum block vs a JZ but it can still hold a good amount of power.

You want a pre 1996 block, but many stick to 92-94 to be safe. you did not mention the year so basically it needs to be obd1, the older the better so it has the strong rods.
build a turbo manifold and turbo etc.. you will want to go larger injectors but they are a common size so not really an issue, also drop a better fuel pump in the tank.
I would run a standalone on this setup, even the most basic one will do as its a 2 coil distributor system stock which is not hard to run, get it tuned, tuned well and safe. non vvti harnesses have the same plug as a 2jz harness, so there are lots of standalone choices.

you will be limited on boost with stock compression ratio which is a little high, but you can maybe hit your goal or more if the tune is solid.
I would say slap a thicker headgasket on there (lots available) and ARP headstuds and go for more power, you might as well at that point and its good insurance on an old engine.

get some extra space by going with electric fans and deleting the hydo stuff, or you can get an ls400 fan setup but electric will give you the most space to work with piping.
some people have also started by flipping the stock exhaust manifolds and then modifying the ends to make a crossover pipe, you should look into the build threads here.
Old 05-20-19, 12:19 PM
japsc85
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another question I have is what do I do about my automatic transmission not shifting and bouncing off the Revlimid ? Will the Aristo ECU work with the auto trans