Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 Instrument cluster installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 03:38 AM
Southaven
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 Instrument cluster installation

i have removed my instrument cluster for needle replacement . I'm a little concerned about reinstalling it , is there anything special I need to do. I particularly concerned about reconnecting the electrical plugs. Any tips would appreciated.
Old 10-19-16, 07:20 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Wrong forum, but... Just plug 'em in. Some people might suggest disconnecting the battery first, but you ought to be just fine without doing so.
Old 10-19-16, 01:04 PM
Southaven
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'm a bit concerned about bending one or more of those male prongs when I reconnect. This my first current era car to do just a minor restoration on, have done a number of totals on MGAs but they are nothing like this beast.

You mentioned I was using the wrong forum, help me out, where should I have posted

Bill Ham
Southaven, MS
Old 10-19-16, 04:19 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Now it's in the right forum.

Unless the pins got mangled upon removal (those connectors are pretty tough to get at), I'd say there's roughly zero chance of bending them while reinserting. They're stout enough that they should all remain lined up perfectly.
Old 10-20-16, 06:13 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Bill, just plug them in, I have done it more times than I would like to have and never had an issue. They made the harness about 4 inches too short, so it makes it quite a task only for that reason. 4 inches too short, story of my life....
Old 01-23-17, 06:57 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to replace my cluster so can someone here tell me the steps required to remove and reinstall the cluster? I am having problems with the cluster -- no speed or mileage displayed and I am told that is a common problem. I will most likely have to send it to Tanin Auto Electronix for repair service so I wanted to know how to remove it without damaging it any further.
Old 01-23-17, 07:13 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tzxlyd
I need to replace my cluster so can someone here tell me the steps required to remove and reinstall the cluster? I am having problems with the cluster -- no speed or mileage displayed and I am told that is a common problem. I will most likely have to send it to Tanin Auto Electronix for repair service so I wanted to know how to remove it without damaging it any further.
look on youtube.or search google.it will come up.
Old 01-23-17, 08:20 AM
Southaven
Driver School Candidate

Default Instrument cluser removal

Go the Tannin Website and you will find a video showing you how to remove the cluster. It's not difficult, I found the hardest step to be unplugging the wiring harness. You may have to have someone hold the cluster while you wiggle the plugs loose.
If I remember there are four steps , lower the steering wheel, wiggle and unplug the plastic piece at bottom of the cluster that holds milage reset and clock controls. There're 4 screws that hold the cluster in. You will see 2 of them when the plastic piece is removed,; be careful don't drop these 2 screws. the other 2 screws are at the top of the cluster near the leading edge, these screws are covered by plastic plugs. If you run your fingers from side to side near the cluster front you will feel them. Each plug has a small hole, insert a pick in the hole and remove the plug, then remove the screws. The cluster should then come out far enough for you to unplug it from the harness
I was a little disappointed in Tannin, a few days after they got the cluster Jesse called and told me they didn't know when they would get to my cluster. I had to run an errand. The more I drove the madder I got. When I returned home I called and told Jesse to return my cluster. Long story short my cluster was repaired and on the way back to me that afternoon. There's someplace in California that also repairs clusters. I ran across them on ebay
Old 01-24-17, 10:30 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

JImbosr1 & Southaven,
Thank you both for your responses -- I was able to look at the website and find youtube videos that are very helpful. I truly appreciate your replies to my inquiry.
Old 01-25-17, 07:26 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

I just saw a company on ebay by the name of BBA-Reman Inc., out of Mass. and they offer a repair service with a lifetime warranty -- is anyone familiar with their work? My only concern is that when I contacted them about my specific problem of no mileage reading and MPH not working they stated it was not the usual problem that they deal with -- still they offer a full refund if they cannot fix the problem. The link to the ebay website is attached just in case anyone wants to see their ad but I wanted to know if anyone has used them or is Tanin my best option with their 5yr warranty?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330684617973?ul_noapp=true1997 Lexus SC300 Instrument Cluster
REPAIR SERVICE
LIFETIME WARRANTY
Old 01-25-17, 07:33 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Also, I saw something about not turning ignition on without the cluster or the airbag light will not be able to be cleared -- is that correct? If so does that mean the car cannot be driven until the unit is returned and installed?

I ask because this is my only vehicle so I will need to make other arrangements if that is the case -- I was going to use the digiHUD app for my speed if I can drive the car still once I have removed the cluster.

I use the digiHUD app now on my phone because my cigarette lighter stopped working when I was using an electric air compressor to inflate my tires about 3 months ago -- I still do not know why it is not working because the fuse is not blown.
Old 01-25-17, 08:21 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tzxlyd
Also, I saw something about not turning ignition on without the cluster or the airbag light will not be able to be cleared -- is that correct? If so does that mean the car cannot be driven until the unit is returned and installed?
I haven't confirmed it myself, but that is what people have said.

The light can be cleared with the somewhat intricate series of grounding steps, documented in a number of threads. It's way over-complicated and finicky, but it's theoretically doable.