Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A few updates to the SC300T

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-03, 08:15 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile A few updates to the SC300T

Mainly did interior and gauge work... Updates detailed on my site in these categories:

Interior Pics
Driveline
Crower Cam specs
Electronics/gauges

www.datapathusa.com/scott/scott.html

Wideband 02 is up and running. Have a boatload of air/fuel information now. Any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 05-15-03, 09:03 AM
T51R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks really good..... show kar!!!!!!!!!

how you like the wideband so far..
I have a different wideband on my car with same o2 senser..

I will update on my interior pic when I am done with it..
Old 05-15-03, 09:48 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice update Scott. I had the same question about your wideband......How do you like it, what made you choose that one and where did you mount it? Also read you cam write-up....Been doing some serious homework. You could be the first to 550rwhp on stock compression. That would be very cool. Thanks for the detail.

gadgetSC-t
Old 05-15-03, 10:19 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

Also on the techedge, where did you get the sensor from, and for how much?
Old 05-15-03, 10:35 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I love this wideband. Its the 1.5version, completely assembled. It was about $350. www.techedge.com.au
The sensor is the Honda L1H1. I got it from shonutperformance.com. I just e-mailed the guy, he put me on the list and a week later I had the sensor $180 included shipping.

The feature I like most is the adjustable narrow band 02 sensor output. You feed this into the factory ECU and can adjust the closed loop air/fuel ratio from the standard 14.7 to whatever you want. Wanna use less fuel on a trip, dial in 16:1 for highway crusing. For me with the upgraded cams and such, the idle is lumpy at 14.7:1 a/f ratio. Changing this to 13.5:1 and the car idles, drives smoother than stock. Feels like I picked up torque, smoothness, etc. Perfect for around town. The wideband also revealed that I have a leaning out at the top portion of the rev band. Not sure if its the cams or I'm just running out of fuel. Haven't dug into it yet. I'm going from around 10:1 at 4000rpm to 13:1 at 6500rpm. Definitely need some correction. If the stock injectors have room for more output, an S-AFC would do the trick, otherwise, I need a more sophisticated aux injection controller. www.splitsec.com makes an AIC-1 that is laptop programmable and is only $310. This gives 3 dimensions of fuel programming for the aux injectors.--- something that the s-afc can't really do.
Old 05-15-03, 10:49 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Good stuff, looking forward to seeing some new 'slips from you Mr. Hureau...
Old 05-15-03, 07:56 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Great information on a/f. I like the gauge suite. At what boost level do you see the leaning out at the higher rpm? You have the two 550's correct? Are they both hooked up currently? I am curious as to why you feel the the adjustment for a/f at the higher rpm is outside the range of the F5. I still haven't had a chance to play with any of this stuff and I only have one aux. running on the 95. After I get some times with this set-up I want to go for the LSD first. Then re dyno with a wideband and tweak the f5 with the second injector hooked up. I have no additional timing control though. I finally see a break in the workload in the middle of July so I hope to make it up to edgewater and or tri-state for some slips. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-15-03, 08:17 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Andrew, I'm going to Edgewater this Sunday for their annual Import Drags event. I'll surely be spanked by a plethora of DSMs. There are handfulls of those things running 12 flat all day long. You should try to make it up there.

On the injectors: I'm currently at 10-12psi. It leans out at most boost levels so I'm not convinced that I'm out of fuel, its just that the injection controller feeds a fixed amount per rpm. I start at 10:1 at 4000 rpm and end up around 12.5 to 13:1 at 6500rpm. I think what happened is that in the 5500-6500rpm range, the revised head just breates SO good up there that the maps cause a lean condition. The F5 can't adjust based on rpm, it only adjusts based on boost level. What I currently need is a 10% fuel cut in the 4000rpm range and a 10% boost in the 6500rpm range. The obvious answer for stock ECU guys is the 440cc injectors plus the LS400 maf. Couple that with an SAFC and the wideband and you could tune very accurately. The reason the add on injector stuff doesn't work so well is that in general an aux injection controller has no input for air temp/density. Tune for 50 degrees, and you'll be way rich at 90 degrees. That is what I'm now facing. With an SAFC, as long as you're within capacity, the stock ECU's maps will add/remove fuel based on temp and keep your calibration over wider temp ranges. Split second makes an AIC that is programmable via laptop and give a 3d fuel curve, but it too doesn't have a map for temperature compensation.
Old 05-16-03, 01:26 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Scott, I'd really love to come out. My work load is just out of this world right now, though. I am booked for travel until mid July - Caly is fairly sunny right now I know the CSS guys are looking forward to it. Those DSM guys are talkin a lot of smack. There are at least two supra guys heading out there too. One has a big single and supposedly hit 12 last Sunday. I don't think he has his footwork down but I'm not one to talk. Car Wars in Clay City is going at the exact same time too. That would be hard decision for me if I was able to get away. I don't expect any turbo lexus at Clay City though - and I'd like to get a peek at yours.

Anyways, I let your headwork slip my mind. I've been reviewing the Haltech manual reading up on the cut in and adjustments. I was hoping air temperature would not be so tremendously critical on that system. Mine was tuned in Miami so I can only assume a temperature of 70 F or so during tuning and would hope on a hot day that it will be a decent output. Maybe not run the high boost on cold days eh? Maybe I'll look at a wideband before I go with anything else. I need dyno time and experience. But until I get out - good luck.

Last edited by awj; 05-16-03 at 04:43 AM.