Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

"Intermittent electrical issue causing misfire"

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 02:19 PM
OneSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Intermittent electrical issue causing misfire"

What's up guys, this is my first post to a forum and pardon me if this is in the wrong section, but I'm picking up a 93 Sc300 5speed this weekend and the guy mentioned it had an "intermittent electrical issue that caused a misfire." I haven't been able to take it for a test drive to verify it, however I'm not to concerned about it, for it'll have to sit a little while anyways before I get to doing things to it. I just wanted to see what kind of ideas you guys might have as to what could cause this issue. He said he had replaced the spark plugs and the wires for them, then the problem came up. The car does have 230K miles on it, but its a steal in my eyes. I'm thinking it could be the distributor assembly as a whole for he said he hasn't messed with it at all, and given it's miles, its probably due a change out anyways. So yeah, let me know any suggestions as to what you may think it could be and ill take a look at it and let you know, Thanks in advance!!
Also I haven't been able to check to see if it has any codes, ill get to that later today and update this post tomorrow morning when I get to work.
Old 10-08-16, 03:47 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Funny your seller should mention this. I feel like I've had the same problem for a year now with my 242k mile SC300 5-speed. However in my case I've replaced so many components recently (had an emissions test and registration renewal deadline to meet a few months ago) I have my fuel pump and fuel ECU as last resorts to try replacing.

In your case I really think you need more information to go on than just what the seller said. However with no baseline and no testing done to your car it could be many, many things:

-ECU (not a bad idea to have your ECU capacitors replaced due to age. We recommend Tanin Auto Electronix for this service)
-plugs
-plug wires
-distributor cap & rotor
-distributor (possible but given the cost don't jump to replace this until you have strong reason to believe it is going bad)
-GE ignitor (generally not a culprit)
-fuel injectors
-TPS sensor
-Engine Coolant Temp sensor for the ECU (located on the cylinder head)
-bad MAF (DO NOT CLEAN YOUR MAF!!!!! CLEANING WILL DAMAGE IT. It's either good or bad. Buy the same part on Rockauto, eBay or from Aliga if it needs replacing)
-Fuel ECU issue (you can replace it IF you can confirm it has gone bad... or you can do the common +12V bypass mod w/shutoff relay. But you should confirm a failure first)
-Fuel pump... but again, better to narrow it down to a bad pump component before spending money and time to replace it.

Without knowing more I would suggest you get into a basic tuneup first (plugs <get quality plugs like Iridiums>, wires, cap, rotor) and also get your ECU rebuilt if the problem persists after that.

Actually with the ECU's a rebuild service is also considered preventative maintenance: you want to replace possibly leaking capacitors sooner rather than later because the longer you wait while ECU performance worsens the greater the chance the capacitors can leak onto the logic board and damage it. Now having said that... don't let that advice excite you. The majority of the time people have some ECU issues will send theirs in for capacitor service and get it back good as new with no issues-- good for another 20-25 years.

Basic tuneup as a baseline and getting your ECU serviced would be my first two orders of business since you know nothing else.

These cars are good, even with 230k on them. You will encounter some things that will need repair but the chassis and drivetrain is very solid. Make sure the timing belt and water pump have been done or were done less than 60k miles ago. If not... those are due. Getting service records from the previous owner would be ideal. Second to that, sign up (for free) on Lexus.com and enter the car's VIN under your account to see what service history has been entered. You can also use that service to enter your own records manually (with some limitations but you can be creative within those descriptive limitations Lexus.com gives you).

Good luck!
Old 10-09-16, 06:26 AM
122SC300
Driver School Candidate

Totally agree with checking out the ECU. My 93 had bad caps causing an over fuel issue, sent to Tanin for the repair. They did and good job, car running much better. So the ECU could possibly be the issue or ignition. I would lean more toward those two items.
Good luck with the new to you SC.
Old 10-09-16, 07:47 AM
OneSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Funny your seller should mention this. I feel like I've had the same problem for a year now with my 242k mile SC300 5-speed. However in my case I've replaced so many components recently (had an emissions test and registration renewal deadline to meet a few months ago) I have my fuel pump and fuel ECU as last resorts to try replacing.

In your case I really think you need more information to go on than just what the seller said. However with no baseline and no testing done to your car it could be many, many things:

-ECU (not a bad idea to have your ECU capacitors replaced due to age. We recommend Tanin Auto Electronix for this service)
-plugs
-plug wires
-distributor cap & rotor
-distributor (possible but given the cost don't jump to replace this until you have strong reason to believe it is going bad)
-GE ignitor (generally not a culprit)
-fuel injectors
-TPS sensor
-Engine Coolant Temp sensor for the ECU (located on the cylinder head)
-bad MAF (DO NOT CLEAN YOUR MAF!!!!! CLEANING WILL DAMAGE IT. It's either good or bad. Buy the same part on Rockauto, eBay or from Aliga if it needs replacing)
-Fuel ECU issue (you can replace it IF you can confirm it has gone bad... or you can do the common +12V bypass mod w/shutoff relay. But you should confirm a failure first)
-Fuel pump... but again, better to narrow it down to a bad pump component before spending money and time to replace it.

Without knowing more I would suggest you get into a basic tuneup first (plugs <get quality plugs like Iridiums>, wires, cap, rotor) and also get your ECU rebuilt if the problem persists after that.

Actually with the ECU's a rebuild service is also considered preventative maintenance: you want to replace possibly leaking capacitors sooner rather than later because the longer you wait while ECU performance worsens the greater the chance the capacitors can leak onto the logic board and damage it. Now having said that... don't let that advice excite you. The majority of the time people have some ECU issues will send theirs in for capacitor service and get it back good as new with no issues-- good for another 20-25 years.

Basic tuneup as a baseline and getting your ECU serviced would be my first two orders of business since you know nothing else.

These cars are good, even with 230k on them. You will encounter some things that will need repair but the chassis and drivetrain is very solid. Make sure the timing belt and water pump have been done or were done less than 60k miles ago. If not... those are due. Getting service records from the previous owner would be ideal. Second to that, sign up (for free) on Lexus.com and enter the car's VIN under your account to see what service history has been entered. You can also use that service to enter your own records manually (with some limitations but you can be creative within those descriptive limitations Lexus.com gives you).

Good luck!
Thanks man! I'll get to doing some checks once I get it in my garage. I wasn't able to leave with the car, but I will surly have it on the 21, I have a bill of sell, and title is clean. Ill post another update a few days after that and let you know, Thanks again for posting the locations I should refer to if need be!
Old 10-09-16, 10:01 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Looking forward to this one. Keep us posted!
Old 10-21-16, 07:24 PM
OneSC
Driver School Candidate

Alright guys, I picked up the SC300 5speed today, and I finally felt what the guy meant. So I had to let him drive it first because I have minimal experience with manuals and the battery was dead so he took it for a quick TD. While he was driving, he tended to use the parking break to slow down instead of the brakes, and would down shift from 5-4-3-2-1 to come to a stop. While he was doing all of that the check engine light would start flashing erratically and it would hesitate and bog down real bad, I knew what I was getting into so I bought it anyways. While I was driving home, I would put it into neutral when coming to stops rather than downshifting and it ran FINE! No problems what so ever. I did down shift from 4th-2nd because it was red and then turned green while I was slowing down and it started the same symptoms for me for about a mile at most, it would hesitate and try to stall out, and my buddy said it was sitting out a lot of black smoke from both tailpipes while it was acting like this, but after that mile or so it stopped and straightened up the rest of the time I was driving. I let my buddy drive it a bit and he was saying the wining noise was the alternator, which eventually stopped making noise, lights dimmed out, and he stalled it and the alternator was in fact finished. So we got it back to the house safely and now I'm not sure as to what to look at first.
P.S. the wining noise I didn't mention at first because the owner said it was the "6 pluck clutch" which I doubt is in it because of how easy it is to shift.
I found an ECU that was rebuilt for $50 i'm going to pick up tomorrow and a new alternator and we'll see if the helps the situation. A coworker said the compression/oil rings could be allowing blow by so ill check that tomorrow as well. Ill check this again tomorrow around 3-4PM let me know what you guys think, I can get a refund for both if they don't help.
Old 10-22-16, 11:41 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

OneSC, forgive me if this was a no-brainer for you but I hope you double-checked the 5-speed ECU P/N and got an identical one. There are several different ones for different years between Federal and CA Spec.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-by-year.html

I'm not sure what to make of the previous owner's constant need to downshift. The stock brakes on 92-97 SC300's are horrible and that might have something to do with it. An 1995-2000 LS400 caliper upgrade is the popular solution for that.

If that car really does have a 6-puck clutch there really is no need for it with a stock NA engine. The OEM full-face clutch kit will do fine and it's also exactly the same factory clutch kit used with 1993.5-1997 MKIV Supra NA 5-speeds.

Doing a full compression or leakdown test is good peace of mind if you have concerns about the piston rings.
Old 10-24-16, 07:32 AM
OneSC
Driver School Candidate

OneSC, forgive me if this was a no-brainer for you but I hope you double-checked the 5-speed ECU P/N and got an identical one. There are several different ones for different years between Federal and CA Spec.

I'm not sure what to make of the previous owner's constant need to downshift. The stock brakes on 92-97 SC300's are horrible and that might have something to do with it. An 1995-2000 LS400 caliper upgrade is the popular solution for that.

If that car really does have a 6-puck clutch there really is no need for it with a stock NA engine. The OEM full-face clutch kit will do fine and it's also exactly the same factory clutch kit used with 1993.5-1997 MKIV Supra NA 5-speeds.

Doing a full compression or leakdown test is good peace of mind if you have concerns about the piston rings.
I'm glad you mentioned this, Ill go home later today and double check because I didn't even consider that a possibility. She seems to run fine with the one I got, but then again I've never had to change an ecu and anything is better than how it was before haha. Also yesterday I changed the cooling fan, accessory belt, cap/rotor, and the oil/filter so shes running even better now. But I mentioned this because when I took the oil filter off, it had next to NO oil in it, It didn't even drop any when i took it off the treads, which is weird to me and have never seen something like that before. Does anybody have suggestions as to what could cause this and what I should do to check whats going on?
Sorry for the late post, very busy weekend and no computer at the house.
Old 10-29-16, 11:23 AM
OneSC
Driver School Candidate

The ECU's had matching numbers however upon further diagnosis, I found that the "new rebuilt" ECU wasn't sending a signal to cylinder 6's fuel injector. Me and my dads friend did a lot of testing and found that the ECU was the culprit. We plugged the "faulty ECU" in just to verify and sure enough that was the issue. He said that the motor looked too fresh to be the factory motor in the car due to the EGR hose -not to sure which one exactly but its steel looking and close to the firewall with a large nut keeping it fastened- being surprisingly easy to loosen to remove the EGR valve. Which led to us thinking that they may have had a turbo application in the car and "tuned" the ECU for that, had some problem, took that motor out and put my current one in, and just reused the ECU.
So now ill either be sending them both, or the "tuned" ECU's to a remanufacturing shop, Or just buy a brand new one and be done with it.
Thanks again for you guys help!!
P.S. he said the IAC motor could be faulty causing the rough idle with the "tuned" ECU in it. However it doesn't explain the way it runs while driving.
Old 10-30-16, 06:27 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're looking in the right direction with the ECU. They are notorious for causing intermittent issues with these cars. Years back my ECU was causing the injectors to stick wide open, which I confirmed with a noid light. I replaced the ECU and it ran great.

Funny you mention the alternator whine as well. The alternator went bad in my Sc and had been whining, so I just replaced it today. You might as well change the drive belt while you're at it, and check the idler pulleys for any noise.
Old 10-31-16, 04:10 AM
OneSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by V8drummer
I think you're looking in the right direction with the ECU. They are notorious for causing intermittent issues with these cars. Years back my ECU was causing the injectors to stick wide open, which I confirmed with a noid light. I replaced the ECU and it ran great.

Funny you mention the alternator whine as well. The alternator went bad in my Sc and had been whining, so I just replaced it today. You might as well change the drive belt while you're at it, and check the idler pulleys for any noise.
One step ahead of you brotha! I already replaced it haha, plus I had confirmed it via noid light as well. we tested both ECU's and the "original one" was sending it power and firing all 6 cylinders.