Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cylinder head different - oil tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 05:41 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cylinder head different - oil tubes?

I have two heads. One is supposedly from a 97 NA Supra and the other I have no idea where it came from (possibly imported from Japan as it originally had Toyota timing cover). To clarify, I've been running the one with tubes for 2 years and I went back and looked at pictures of the engine before and it did not have tubes, like the Supra one in the picture below.

One has tubes in some of the cylinder heads near the bolt holes.

The 97 Supra head does not have these. Here are pictures.

What are they?
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder head different - oil tubes?-20160921_143253.jpg   Cylinder head different - oil tubes?-20160921_143302.jpg  

Last edited by ISFFUN; 09-21-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 09:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah so those are called "speed tubes" and what they do is... ok seriously I have no idea what those are never seen them before

Maybe it is something to do with the JDM head, surprised that you said the egr passages were drilled out... that makes me think it is actually a USDM head but I have not seen one with those tubes on it, but I haven't seen one from every year so its hard to say. mine does not have them. either way I don't think they are detrimental to anything, typically they are not present whatever they do. sometimes with those kind of tubes like on the v8, you an actually unscrew them and back them out, but just swap the 97 head on and don't worry about it.

as for injectors, what style lower runner and throttle body do you have? does it have that tube coming of by the fuel rail wit a hose running to the throttle body?
if it does then your lower runner / intake setup is probably obd2 or cali spec obd1 and then it uses the blue injectors. your 97 spec probably is like this cause its obd2. this came on all "federal" 96-97 and some earlier cali year models.
if it doesn't have any of that hose stuff on the lower runner running to the throttle body then its likely obd1 spec and then you use the brown injectors. this is usually "federal" 92-95 years that are not cali.
Old 09-22-16, 07:30 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

After hours of searching late last night I finally associated the blue ones with the 95+ Cali and 97 Federal. Thank you Ali for confirming. The railing does have the air assist holes in the actual socket and the tube that goes to the IACV (I think) so definitely later year. Now I know the older set I have is from a 92-94 with the brown injectors and no air assist.

Those passages, I don't have any idea still but the head went on the car and it's almost time to start it up tomorrow.

Another oddity form this swap is that the 97 head and the mystery head have different style valve covers. The 97 Supra one has raised up screw holes in the center where the long black runner / tray connects over the spark plugs. The 97 runner has raised up sockets so it sits quite a bit higher.

About the EGR and how this all started - basically I kept getting EGR failures so I just did the resistor solder and called it a day. The whole time I thought that I had a true JDM head without any EGR passages. So I bought a used Supra NA head and started to do the swap. Turns out, the EGR holes were drilled, but EGR system itself including the valve, piping and vacuum lines were fully clogged with carbon/oil/soot whatever. Particularly the pipe with the screw that attaches to the valve- look at this VERY short video that I wish had started recoding earlier - we took a torch and heated up the vacuum hard line and it was fully caked inside and the heat pushed it out like a snake firework. So basically, my entire EGR system was clogged from top the bottom. And now I have a newer supposedly low mileage head and all the physical aches and pains that 3 days of labor tacks on. So let's hope I can pass smog.

This is not a SC300 EGR, just something from the internet.

Last edited by ISFFUN; 09-22-16 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 08:32 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

interesting, do you have pics of the differences on the valve covers, haven't heard of that one before. starting to think maybe its from a gs300 or n/a aristo or something like that, there was also a 1jz-ge believe it or not but I would think none of that stuff would match up with the 2j intakes.
Old 09-22-16, 08:43 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

I'll try to get some tomorrow.

As far as the "jdm" engine when I got it it was marked with JZS147 and possibly a "94" or a "92", so it might have been from an early Aristo ? Another really weird thing is the timing cover says Toyota 3000 and it's silver. NONE of the Japan engine pictures I can find are grey - they are all black plastic. I can't figure out where this engine came from. It had TRAC, and something else is that all the sensor connectors on the block were different, like, different colors and plug/clip sizes so I had to reuse my originals.

According to Wikipedia, it was probably a Aristo 3.0 Q - not a V.

Here are some pictures when I got it (overpaid so much, but was desperate and needed it immediately - this was two years ago and didn't have time or resources to do GTE or NA-T

Old 09-24-16, 12:29 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Just as a side note (will post pictures tomorrow) the engine 99.9% came from a 1992-1993 Aristo Q 3.0. The early ones had a white/silver timing belt cover like most in the US did from 92-97. In 1994 in Japan they changed it to black color with the "TOYOTA 3000" text. The US market never got the cool looking black one until 1998! Also, those had variable cabin air filters. Japan got all the neat stuff.
I didn't know they had EGR however, which is weird because there are some import 2JZ-GE's floating around without it (as we know.)
Old 09-25-16, 08:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah that is odd on the EGR part, probably has something to do with that aristo model, maybe early on they were just making all the heads the same or they had excess ones and they used it on the JDM cars, probably never know.
Actually the supra n/a non vvti got a greyish/black timing cover here in the states 93-97, I used to run one on my SC just cause of the color. all the lexus ones are silver though. it is odd to see the jdm one with the silve color though, all kinds of weird stuff going on with the 2jzge I didnt used to know about including the early year sc300 2jzge having a slightly different valve cover on passenger side as Halon discovered, the one in the picture has the early year one also.
Old 09-26-16, 10:41 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

^^ Yep was just going to say, looks to have the US '92 style valve covers.
Old 09-26-16, 02:22 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Here is a comparison of the early / JDM / later US valve covers and center tray. I know these are not the same side but it's the same, just didn't use in photo. The early one has a divet at the front like, a triangle shape and the studs are lower as I mentioned.

Attached Thumbnails Cylinder head different - oil tubes?-20160924_103530.jpg   Cylinder head different - oil tubes?-20160924_103521.jpg  
Old 09-26-16, 04:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

wow, that is JDM tyte!! I would rock it