Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Throttle Cable Slack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 06:27 PM
oSUPRAo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Cable Slack?

My gas pedal has been feeling a little floppy so I checked the throttle body and sure enough the throttle cable looks very loose. I was just going to take the slack out of it but then I read that it's supposed to have 1/2" of slack. Is that true? How tight is the throttle cable supposed to be?
Old 10-30-19, 08:35 AM
LexUK400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oSUPRAo
My gas pedal has been feeling a little floppy so I checked the throttle body and sure enough the throttle cable looks very loose. I was just going to take the slack out of it but then I read that it's supposed to have 1/2" of slack. Is that true? How tight is the throttle cable supposed to be?
No reply to this old thread but perhaps someone can clarify. I have a '93 Car which won't go into O/D. At 80mph under load soemthing locks up when trying to overtake..
Looked at the throttle control cables and unsure which is for O/D but I have about a half inch slack on the nylon covered cable nearest front of the Car which I assumed is the O/D cable? (not as another thread suggests on a later model car)

Kickdown joining a Motorway also justs locks up and I have to ease back and pray it doesn't go into limp mode. . Any ideas please? Is everything normal and I need to look elsewhere?

Old 11-03-19, 07:27 AM
LexUK400
Driver School Candidate

OK So, posted a couple of photo's. Can someone explain to me why three cables, firstly? I got the wife to push down on the Accelerator pedal to the Kickdown switch whilst stationary, ingition not on. I see what I assume is the wire Throttle cable pull on the opening device, whilst I also note it pulls on the cable that goes across the Rocker box covr which I assume (?) is the Kickdown Cable. Both working in unison.
Now the puzzle, what does that nylon covered Cable do? Its got half inch of play at the ball end and the cable didn't move even though the part it goes through (unusual part) moves with the Throttle cable.
If the engine had been running what would I see thats different? Perhaps I can the understand my problem.
Thanks Stu.
ps about 1mm free movement on Cable over the Rocker box covers which I've readis correct
Old 11-04-19, 03:01 AM
LexUK400
Driver School Candidate

Hoping for some help here. Zilch so far. Perhaps someone can tell me how the cover comes off the part where the throttle cables go into. Not obvious, gave a pull but don't wna to break if there is a method. Need to check to see that the Nylon covered Cable has not popped out at that end. Seems strange that it does not move when Throttle pushed to floor and Kickdown when Car ignition off. Can't figure what its purpose is. Please enlighten me, someone. cheers from someone who experienced a Hail storm battering in France last American independence day.- Doh! photo share