Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What piston rings to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 07:40 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What piston rings to go with?

Hey guys I'm currently rebuilding my engine and am at a standstill. I have bc 264 cams titanium valve springs fluid damper harmonic balancer bc h beam rods head studs main studs acl bearings don't know what turbo yet but I do know what manifold I want. I'm going na-t with aem infinity 6 and have goals around 500 to 600whp. I know all the stuff I have is overkill for my hp goals but I wanted a little bit stronger internals in case I do decide to up the power.
Well with total main seal I would need a second ring total seal ring and the others would be close to factory or whatever. I've called the company and they promise great things but don't know because I've also read some bad things. For example I have to hone the cylinders a certain depth and degree for them to break in properly and can sometimes take up to 3000 miles to break in. Sometimes they won't break in at all.
So my question is should I stick to factory, total seal, or any other recommendations? I'm gonna hone the cylinders either way when I send my engine to the machine shop for balancing blue print line hone valve job all that good stuff. Id hate to have good work done for nothing.