Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need Master Cylinder Replacement Advice--Traction or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 02:28 PM
Jpgranier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Master Cylinder Replacement Advice--Traction or Not?

Not a car expert here so I'm wondering if I am being ripped off.

Went into Brakes Plus to get oil change and have brakes looked at because I suspected a fluid leak. The brakes work in a majority of the breaking but when I get to slow speeds the brakes feel like they're giving out. After half way pushing down my brakes, I have to slam them to stop which causes a very jerky stop at red lights, stop signs, and traffic.

They flushed the brake fluid suspecting air and they said there was some. They say the Master Cylinder needs to be replaced. Didn't say much other than it being 529$. Said 400 was the cheapest the could find the part. He said the master cylinder has to have traction control but my SC doesn't have traction control.... A simple search and I couldn't find one even with traction control over 300 so where this "cheapest" price he said he "searched all over" for is beyond me.

Am I missing something? Is this a common problem with a common fix? Car is my sister's now and I don't want her driving around and the brakes don't work

Thanks guys!
Old 08-01-16, 09:46 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpgranier
Not a car expert here so I'm wondering if I am being ripped off.

Went into Brakes Plus to get oil change and have brakes looked at because I suspected a fluid leak. The brakes work in a majority of the breaking but when I get to slow speeds the brakes feel like they're giving out. After half way pushing down my brakes, I have to slam them to stop which causes a very jerky stop at red lights, stop signs, and traffic.

They flushed the brake fluid suspecting air and they said there was some. They say the Master Cylinder needs to be replaced. Didn't say much other than it being 529$. Said 400 was the cheapest the could find the part. He said the master cylinder has to have traction control but my SC doesn't have traction control.... A simple search and I couldn't find one even with traction control over 300 so where this "cheapest" price he said he "searched all over" for is beyond me.

Am I missing something? Is this a common problem with a common fix? Car is my sister's now and I don't want her driving around and the brakes don't work

Thanks guys!
It's called markup. All shops do it, some more than others. If you don't have Trac on your car, order a non Trac master cylinder from rockauto or vatozone or something. Don't let the shop rob you
Old 08-03-16, 08:53 AM
Jpgranier
Driver School Candidate

Talked to the shop about the markup and he tried to make an analogy of Great Value and on brand Doritos... hahaha. Said that they sold the on brand, so if I want a cheaper price I need to go find the Great Value ones. Anyways, my main dilemma is that I don't want to spend that much money on a car worth 3k. Now they're saying I need my brake booster replaced as well, so that adds on another 300$. I'm taking it to another shop that is recommended to me and telling them my brakes are having issues, but not saying I took to another shop.

Is this something easily fixed with other methods such as replacing the rubber tubing?
Old 08-05-16, 03:38 PM
Jpgranier
Driver School Candidate

Bump please
Old 08-06-16, 10:05 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I dont want to sound impolite and I hope you dont take my reply as such.

First thing is proper diagnosis.
Then the remedy part comes as to which would you pursue ... new OEM, refurbished, after-market and recycled [this is the ordered list based on price]
In the remedy part the mechanic may have a relationship and has to cover warranty. Like dealership will not accept after-market part.
[Note some items can be refurbished by OEM kit, but then labor and repeat work can be an issue. These days replacement is the standard way to go. If the master cylinder leaked on the inside, the booster needs to be replaced or the warranty is voided].

Finally, there is an issue of trust. Trust in the mechanics diagnosis and repair. Is this your underlying issue?

You have to leave the wish part out of the whole process ,,,, wish like I hope it is just the hose. Don't get me wrong, it might be the hose. The whole thing has to start with good diagnosis. Lexus does offer diagnosis for a fee. Are they guaranteed to be right .. not really but it just might be the right investment for you.

Salim