Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tach adapter for 2JZ-GTE swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-03, 10:11 PM
TurboSCLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach adapter for 2JZ-GTE swap

Hey, do any of you guys that have done or in the process of doing a 2JZ-GTE swap on a sc300 deal with the fact that the tach from the sc is not compatible with the 2jz-gte ECU. I have looked into the MSD 8920 tach adapter, and it looks like it can do the job, but I was wondering if the correct wiring is connecting (Supra) II1-29 wire from the Supra wiring loom Tach out from the ECU to the input of the Tach input of the 8920 (white) and then connecting the red wire of the 8920 to the (Supra) IJ1-20 wire on the loom which is the B+ signal (12V), and finally do you connect the violet wire of the 8920 to the lexus tach Lexus IK1-8 wire? I confronted the lexus and supra manuls and msd website for info. Is the supra have voltage or current driven trigger b/c the wiring is little different for current driven triggers.

http://www.msdignition.com/
(do search for 8920 and its the first lik)

If any you guys have any info or experience on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to post here or email me at driel@mil.ufl.edu

Adriel
TurboSCLex
Old 05-07-03, 05:30 AM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the 8920 tach adapter on my swap, and it's working perfectly. It's been a few months since I did the wiring and I don't have it in front of me, so I'll have to check the pin numbers later today. Sounds like you have it correct, the white is the "IN" for the tach unit, and the Purple/Violet is the "output" to your tach.

Chris