Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 - Wild Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 05:40 PM
ironwalt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 - Wild Tranny Issue

Okay so,

The wife and I are heading home from dinner on date night, and when we hit about 4 miles from the homestead, the engine starts revving up to maintain speed. We were doing about 40 mph. In order to keep moving forward I am having to run her at about 2500 to 3500 rpm to keep 25 to 35 mph. As we pass the 2 miles to home point we had to pull over as she was going slower and slower. I pull over and put her in park. Give it a few minutes and then put her back in gear. The best speed I can get is about 25 mph.

I was suspecting low tranny fluid. When we limped home I checked the fluid level with engine off and very warm. The fluid appeared to be high.

1st question: Any ideas on what this sounds like?

2nd question: What is the proper procedure for checking tranny fluid?

Thanks,
Walt
Old 07-03-16, 06:11 PM
ironwalt
Driver School Candidate

Update:

Just checked tranny fluid and she is OVER the hot level by quite a bit. Appears that she was over serviced at the last shop visit. But it has been that way for a long time though. So I can not imagine that a high fluid level would cause this. Very frustrating.
Old 07-03-16, 06:48 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think it's a transmission issue from how you described it. The car might be going on limp mode. I would try checking the battery and alternator first. Last time my alternator died, after running out of juice from the battery, the SC sorta went into a limp mode, couldn't keep up. Good thing it was a short drive, and soon as I got home and parked, I shut off the engine, then try starting it back up so I can diagnose, but completely locked me out. Then that's when the battery light turned on. Could be a number of other reasons to go on limp mode though, but this would be a start.
Old 07-03-16, 09:36 PM
DHenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most autos require that you check the fluid with the engine on and at operating temperature... is this not the case with the Lex?

Might just be a case of mistaken reading...

hope you find the problem!
Old 07-04-16, 12:38 AM
ironwalt
Driver School Candidate

I did check the fluid with it running, at temperature, and in park.

I am wondering if the torque converter is the problem.
Old 07-04-16, 06:06 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

An overfill can lead to foaming and your symptoms. Have you tried to remove the excess and see what happens? Has the slipping led to overheating and now the fluid is burnt?
Old 07-24-16, 05:27 PM
ironwalt
Driver School Candidate

Slipping DID lead to overheating. AAMCO has my baby up on the rack and the tranny pulled apart. Clutches are shot, torque converter needs to be replaced. They want 2500 bucks to rebuild it. Considering that I need new leather, struts and a few other pricy items, I may be parting with her.

Thoughts, ideas. I love this car but it may be time for a change.
Old 07-25-16, 08:10 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ironwalt
Slipping DID lead to overheating. AAMCO has my baby up on the rack and the tranny pulled apart. Clutches are shot, torque converter needs to be replaced. They want 2500 bucks to rebuild it. Considering that I need new leather, struts and a few other pricy items, I may be parting with her.

You wanna love this car even more than before? Time for a manual swap! Great excuse IMO.
Old 08-01-16, 08:19 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ironwalt

AAMCO's price isn't the only option. I'm sure there are thousands of perfectly good used transmissions waiting for your car to put them to use again.