Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny slips after switching oil types?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-03, 04:01 PM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission slips after switching to synthetic motor oil

Ok, here's my problem I have... I had 1 year free oil changes where I bought the car and the place had a huge "We use Valvoline Synthetic" sign hanging, so I assumed all oil changes got that. Turned out after reading here at CL, I decided watched them do another customers free oil change and it turned out to be bargain basement no name brand. I asked if that was what I have been getting, he said yes, I then left. So it turns out that's what my car have been getting for the last 30k miles (it did state on the contract that they can use their choice of motor oil on the free oil changes). So right now, i've been running 7000 miles on the bargain basement with no problems.

So I decided to change my own oil and put Valvoline DuraBlend and a Fram oil filter. It SEEMS to have been getting better the more and more I drive it. But the car seems to have a little trouble changing gears, and it sometimes slips while it's in first. From Neutral to First it sometimes takes a little time, and I have to rev it a little to get it to work. Also sometimes while i'm around 2k RPM in first it sometimes slips. But it seems to be getting better. I've driven about 50 miles since oil change (last night). Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I did notice a little oil leaking around the oil filter, that I will tighten when the engine gets cool enough. But the car has never had any gear slipping problems before. Just wondering if it has anythign to do with the Oil Change. It happened immediatly afterwords. Thanks for reading and I greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks,
-Dan

Last edited by nitecow; 05-05-03 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-05-03, 04:41 PM
FLex
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all Fram filters suck (cheap paper element and no antidrain valve). Secondly, I think the shifting problem is separate from the oil change. What are your miles? Automatic?
Old 05-05-03, 05:02 PM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

It would definatly seem that way on the seperation between the engine oil and the transmission problem. But it has never done that before and it happened as soon as I finished doing the oil (and let the engine run a while). It's a 96 automatic with 105k

Thanks,
-Dan
Old 05-05-03, 06:53 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

It should have absolutely NOTHING to do with your engine oil. It is just a coinsidence.

You should drain and fill your tranny fluid ASAP. If you have an SC400, use ONLY the Toyota type IV "T" fluid. If you have an SC300, then read the manual as to what fluid it calls for (probably Dexron).

Drive it around a bit, and hopefully that will take care of it. If not, you've got some expensive repairs on the horizon...
Old 05-05-03, 07:25 PM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

Arg, that's not what I like to hear... There is a trip that I MUST make tommorow, is there any other fluid that I could use and change tonight?

Thanks,
-Dan
Old 05-05-03, 08:29 PM
nitecow
Driver School Candidate

Would someone also be willing to show an underbody picture of where the oil drain plug is AND where the transmission oil plug is? I know I'm asking a lot but if someone would please post that I would be most appreciative, I've searched for a while to try to find a picture, all I can find is the one below with the transmission plug.

Thanks,
-Dan
Attached Thumbnails Tranny slips after switching oil types?-atfpanhighlight.jpg  
Old 05-06-03, 11:12 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by nitecow
Would someone also be willing to show an underbody picture of where the oil drain plug is AND where the transmission oil plug is? I know I'm asking a lot but if someone would please post that I would be most appreciative, I've searched for a while to try to find a picture, all I can find is the one below with the transmission plug.

Thanks,
-Dan
I'm saying this with respect, and trying to help you here: If you can't find where the drain plug is located, then you should probably take it to your local Toyota or Lexus dealer to have them install the Toyota type IV fluid (assuming you have an SC400). You might cause more harm by trying to save yourself a few bucks doing the labor yourself. You should consider having this done a higher priority than wherever it is that you are headed. You can always get a rental car or have somebody drive you. Replacing your tranny because the wrong type of fluid was installed would be much more of a hassle.

Of course, if your dealer is very far away, then you are in a real pickle.
Old 05-06-03, 02:41 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm confused. Are you trying to change your transmission or motor oil? Did the shop change your tranny fluid also? If so, what kind of fluid they put in?