Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Who's rebuilt an SC300 P/S pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 08:12 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's rebuilt an SC300 P/S pump?

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on it and (believe) I have most every part I need to rebuild my power steering pump. It's leaking, moaning, and groaning (still have full unhindered power steering though).

For those of you that have done this, are there any specific tips you could give or things that caught you off guard when you did this? The only things I'm not completely sure about is whether or not to purchase a replacement bearing; same with the 2 straight pins in the cam ring. The pump itself was purchased just 3 months ago by the previous owner, so I suspect most everything will be in good shape. Those don't seem like parts that would go to hell in that short of time. His shop also put on new hoses and an inline filter.

At the moment I have the standard rebuild kit and of course the Dexron III.

I'm sort of entertaining the idea of just buying a whole new pump and doing that job, but if I can get it done this way that'd be preferable.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-16, 08:23 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

meant to post this in the maintenance sub-forum btw, sorry about that haha
Old 06-24-16, 08:51 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chattanoah
I've been doing quite a bit of reading on it and (believe) I have most every part I need to rebuild my power steering pump. It's leaking, moaning, and groaning (still have full unhindered power steering though).

For those of you that have done this, are there any specific tips you could give or things that caught you off guard when you did this? The only things I'm not completely sure about is whether or not to purchase a replacement bearing; same with the 2 straight pins in the cam ring. The pump itself was purchased just 3 months ago by the previous owner, so I suspect most everything will be in good shape. Those don't seem like parts that would go to hell in that short of time. His shop also put on new hoses and an inline filter.

At the moment I have the standard rebuild kit and of course the Dexron III.

I'm sort of entertaining the idea of just buying a whole new pump and doing that job, but if I can get it done this way that'd be preferable.

Thanks in advance.
You are so much better off doing what you have planned since you can find all OEM components (or a new OEM part). I have replaced the PS pump on my 400, 3 times (with aftermarket crap). The one that came with the car lasted for decades. I intend to look into rebuilding other stock parts that I keep having to replace as well.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 06-24-16 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-24-16, 10:46 AM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
You are so much better off doing what you have planned since you can find all OEM components (or a new OEM part). I have replaced the PS pump on my 400, 3 times (with aftermarket crap). The one that came with the car lasted for decades. I intend to look into rebuilding other stock parts that I keep having to replace as well.
Right. I've been very impressed to see how many shared OEM parts are still available for this car, and the span of years some parts will work with. Goes with the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it it!" I suppose

But... Mine is broke. ha. Thank!

One more thing for other readers... with it being such a small leak (can barely tell its lost fluid, absolutely no binding while steering) albeit really loud and obnoxious, could some pump sealant or one of those sealing additives be a worthwhile thing? I've heard the additives are complete crap, and I know a lot of P/S systems are very sensitive to anything other than OEM fluids.

Last edited by Chattanoah; 06-24-16 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 01:50 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Moved to the Performance and Maintenance sub-forum

Chattanoah, I have purchased an OEM PS pump rebuild kit from Toyota recently just to have on hand but I've yet to use it and I might just go for a reman when the time comes. I am 241K miles on my factory original PS pump for what it's worth.

The OEM rebuild kit is P/N 04446-0W010. Around $50 or so. But I probably will not attempt to do it myself for the PS pump when that time comes.
Old 06-24-16, 02:45 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Thanks as usual, Kahn. My kit is OEM spec. The ones in your price range seem to all be from dealers.
Old 06-25-16, 12:11 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

That part number above is the OEM kit from the dealer, yes but bought online at a discount. Never, ever pay MSRP at the dealer

Your kit should be fine so long as it's got the same stuff and has the same materials for each piece.