Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Leak, or Ignition related issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 11:10 PM
Clear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Leak, or Ignition related issue?

Hey guys, finished my manual swap on my SC400 about 2 weeks ago and ran it open header for a little bit while I bought a new y-pipe since the previous owner had messed with the old one and it wouldn't seal properly any more.

Anyway, I got my new y-pipe installed it and still had a leak, took it to a shop and they recommended that I run double gaskets to remedy that, so I did, currently running double gasket behind each cat to get a good seal, anyway, I'm having really bad misfiring issues now.

The day that I installed the double gasket, the car finally started sounding how it should and was driving amazing, just when I turned the car off and let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes it would start with a hard stumble and misfire. If I immediately drove it, it would clear up once the car warmed back up that little bit.

I thought this was odd, so I left my battery unplugged for the night to reset the ECU, but the morning after I started it, the misfire wouldn't go away, I drove it, let it warm up all the way, came back and parked it and nothing, still misfiring and smelled awful. When I looked under the car the main cat was glowing red, so I assumed it would be my coil pack. The car would start with the same symptoms when the driver side coil was unplugged, but wouldn't start when the one infront of the intake manifold was unplugged. I went to AutoZone, picked one up and replaced the driver side coil pack, but still had the same issue.

One thing I will mention is that the plug that leads to the driver side coil had previously chaffed up against the block and had made a cut, being preoccupied with the swap I duct taped it up and it worked perfectly, only this time when I replaced the coil and my finger got near that wire while the car was running, I got a pretty decent shock.

Basically, this long winded post is because I need some direction, should I start by reassessing the exhaust or, should I focus on ignition related things?

Yes, don't worry after that little jolt I have NGK plugs on the way!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-08-16, 08:12 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude,

Replace the damaged plug wire with a new OEM wire.