Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

STRANGE or normal Throw out bearing noise...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 05:58 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default STRANGE or normal Throw out bearing noise...

So my 5 speed got a new clutch when I swapped the motors...
I forgot to put the new throw out bearing in i put the new pilot but forgot to change the throw out bearing with the new one. So i was getting a whining noise when the car is on in neutral. Clutch not pushed in, right away realized, damn i forgot the throw out bearing.. pulled the transmission replaced the throw out bearing with the one that came in the clutch kit AND same noise... it's slightly less most of the time and sometimes its quite after a drive but most of the time i hear the same whiney noise in neutral with the clutch out... it goes away when i push the clutch in...

Any ideas? I'm about to just live with it but maybe its the aftermarket bearing that came with my aftermarket 350 hp clutch?

Last edited by scsexy; 06-01-16 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 09:15 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude,

At the factory when the engine is being assembled the crankshaft is balanced with the flywheel and clutch plate. When replacing the clutch plate many miles later, most people don't mark where the old plate mated to the flywheel. You are supposed to install the new clutch plate at the same position in order to minimize noise caused by a slight imbalance. It's not a guarantee but it at least helps. Another technique is to remove the flywheel and have it balanced along with the new clutch plate. This is the optimal way of having a quiet drivetrain when in neutral and driving in gear after replacing your clutch and/or flywheel.

Old 06-01-16, 09:47 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

When changing a new clutch...you should at a minimum have the flywheel resurfaced......while you have it apart might as well do the rear main seal...

You should also never reuse the bolts for flywheel or pressure plate....they are very cheap....get new ones...

Did you grease the output shaft on tranny where throwout bearing sits.....?
Old 06-02-16, 08:34 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

At the factory when the engine is being assembled the crankshaft is balanced with the flywheel and clutch plate. When replacing the clutch plate many miles later, most people don't mark where the old plate mated to the flywheel. You are supposed to install the new clutch plate at the same position in order to minimize noise caused by a slight imbalance. It's not a guarantee but it at least helps. Another technique is to remove the flywheel and have it balanced along with the new clutch plate. This is the optimal way of having a quiet drivetrain when in neutral and driving in gear after replacing your clutch and/or flywheel.
Of all the stuff I have read on message boards, this is a first on balancing a clutch and flywheel assembly together for a stock 20 year old car. These are not F1 engines running 19,000 rpms. And I am almost going to call bs on the balancing of the crankshaft, flywheel, and clutch assembly at the factory 20 something years ago but I guess it's possible. It's a W58. Anybody that has done any real work with one of these knows they are just a noisy transmission. You can balance your flywheel and clutch to 0.001 oz-in and it is still going to make some noise in these transmissions. The noise he is hearing? Not sure without knowing a little more, but I doubt very seriously it's his flywheel/clutch balance. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-03-16, 09:38 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Of all the stuff I have read on message boards, this is a first on balancing a clutch and flywheel assembly together for a stock 20 year old car. These are not F1 engines running 19,000 rpms. And I am almost going to call bs on the balancing of the crankshaft, flywheel, and clutch assembly at the factory 20 something years ago but I guess it's possible. It's a W58. Anybody that has done any real work with one of these knows they are just a noisy transmission. You can balance your flywheel and clutch to 0.001 oz-in and it is still going to make some noise in these transmissions. The noise he is hearing? Not sure without knowing a little more, but I doubt very seriously it's his flywheel/clutch balance. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dude,

Release the rage from your heart. Any car, regardless of age, needs rotating components balanced or bad shi_t will happen, from annoying noise to actual physical component failure. Obviously Porsche is spending a bit more time and money balancing their engines than say, KIA. The more parts you balance together as a whole, the greater the level of overall balance you achieve with the engine running, from 700 to 7,000 rpm. I will clarify what I said in the previous post.

New clutch plate and clutch disc installed = have the clutch plate balanced to the flywheel or AT LEAST have the clutch plate individually balanced.

New flywheel installed = have the flywheel and clutch plate balanced together or AT LEAST have the the clutch plate and flywheel balanced individually.

Just changing the clutch disc but keeping the old clutch plate= MARK the position of the old clutch plate to the flywheel to maintain the balanced nature between the two. This is true for all engines and transmissions made by all manufacturers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plac...h=1036#imgrc=_

Last edited by freakness; 06-06-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 12:14 PM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

All arguing aside, I appreciate the info you guys have brought up. I'm doing a clutch on my 97 in the next week or so and I've never done a clutch before. My grandfather is helping me and probably knows about all of this but it's good food for thought. Thanks guys
Old 06-03-16, 06:58 PM
scsexy
Advanced

I guess it must be a balancing issue... i did not notice any lining up marks and all data didn't mention it.. I resurfaced my flywheel, i did not balance anything ?

I'm turboing the car do you think need to take the transmission out a third time to hopefully match marks that could have been resurfaced off the flywheel? or don't exist on the after market clutch rated at 350 hp
Old 06-06-16, 07:41 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

Release the rage from your heart. Any car, regardless of age, needs rotating components balanced or bad shi_t will happen, from annoying noise to actual physical component failure. Obviously Porsche is spending a bit more time and money balancing their engines than say, KIA. The more parts you balance together as a whole, the greater the level of overall balance you achieve with the engine running, from 700 to 7,000 rpm. I will clarify what I said in the previous post.

New clutch plate and clutch disc installed = have the clutch plate balanced to the flywheel or AT LEAST have the clutch plate individually balanced.

New flywheel installed = have the flywheel and clutch disc balanced together or AT LEAST have the the clutch plate and flywheel balanced individually.

Just changing the clutch disc but keeping the old clutch plate= MARK the position of the old clutch plate to the flywheel to maintain the balanced nature between the two. This is true for all engines and transmissions made by all manufacturers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plac...h=1036#imgrc=_

You misunderstand, there is no rage in my heart. Saying things need to be balanced is different than what you said, you implied the match marks assure a total balance. Obviously rotating elements have to be balanced. And they are. But people replace flywheels and clutch assemblies all the time, so how do you account for these?
Old 06-06-16, 08:36 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXRodger
You misunderstand, there is no rage in my heart. Saying things need to be balanced is different than what you said, you implied the match marks assure a total balance. Obviously rotating elements have to be balanced. And they are. But people replace flywheels and clutch assemblies all the time, so how do you account for these?

Dude,

Let me repeat what I wrote,

New flywheel installed = have the flywheel and clutch plate balanced together or AT LEAST have the the clutch plate and flywheel balanced individually.

If you don't follow that guideline, you run a greater risk of noise during operation or possibly early mechanical failure. It doesn't always happen but there's no way to know for sure until the engine and transmission are back together and you operate the vehicle. People install new/reworked flywheels and clutch plates all the time; some do it correctly, some don't.

Last edited by freakness; 06-06-16 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-06-16, 10:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

freakness, no one actually balances their flywheels and clutches as a whole, its one of those theoretically good things that no one does. did you do it?

I have the same noise on mine, before and after clutch change. goes away 100% if you clutch in.
clutch out in neutral it makes the almost like a light whirring sound.

It was my understanding that its part of the push design of the clutch cover, but I could be wrong. I thought there was a chance it could be the throwout or pilot bearing but your post is saying that didn't help. I had all the parts changed and the flywheel resurfaced, and using all matching act components.
I remember reading there were lots of 5 speeds that made the noise, so its pretty normal. nothing to get worried over.

maybe it could even be something to do with the trans, like the input shaft bearing, cause it would be spinning at all times except for clutching in.
maybe try a different trans fluid, but thats a completely out there guess If anything I would think it would be a clutch component first but since so many have the noise and it goes away when you clutch in, it does make me wonder about the trans cause we all have the same issue.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-06-16 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-06-16, 10:49 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
freakness, no one actually balances their flywheels and clutches as a whole, its one of those theoretically good things that no one does. did you do it?

I have the same noise on mine, before and after clutch change. goes away 100% if you clutch in.
clutch out in neutral it makes the almost like a light whirring sound.

It was my understanding that its part of the push design of the clutch cover, but I could be wrong. I thought there was a chance it could be the throwout or pilot bearing but your post is saying that didn't help. I had all the parts changed and the flywheel resurfaced, and using all matching act components.
I remember reading there were lots of 5 speeds that made the noise, so its pretty normal. nothing to get worried over.

maybe it could even be something to do with the trans, like the input shaft bearing, cause it would be spinning at all times except for clutching in.
maybe try a different trans fluid, but thats a completely out there guess If anything I would think it would be a clutch component first but since so many have the noise and it goes away when you clutch in, it does make me wonder about the trans cause we all have the same issue.

Thanks man,
That's a good point on the input shaft bearing and as long as other people have the same noise im less worried.
Old 06-06-16, 12:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If I had the time I would find the threads for you, but I don't right now. they are on here somewhere I remember looking up the same thing when I first noticed it. there were a bunch of people with the issue, and I think there are lots of more people with it that just haven't noticed it or ignore it. nothing to worry about though I have not had any issues with it but would like to know more if you do ever figure it out. I will probably be on a different transmission before I look into solving a little whirring on a w58 lol.