Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz-gte or 2jz-gte which is the easier swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 05:30 PM
sc31jzgte
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte which is the easier swap?

Hello,

I am just about to finalize the purchase of my sc300. Its a '95 5sp manual, all very pretty. At any rate i bought so i could swap the engine with a tt toyota engine. I like the 1jz-gte Soarer, being that the engine came in this car in japan, but the 2jz is the faster engine. Now the question at hand is which is the easier swap. I know if you add a 2jz with a 6sp manual you have to get a new driveshaft made. I would like to avoid that if i can, so i thought being that the Soarer engine is a 5sp that i might not have to go through the hassle of a new driveshaft but i honestly dont know.

So if you have any info or if you have any personal experience i would love to hear it.

Also what is the best place to import an engine from, or even better a place i can get one state side. Any links will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again
Old 05-06-03, 08:35 PM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

1jz is easier if you get a soarer front clip 5spd with a driveshaft, its a drop in affair
Old 05-06-03, 09:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a drop in affair along with dropping in the wiring harness

if you buy phil's book; he's got the info on using the stock harness and running a couple extra wires for the various sensors and differences...

and the 2jz will bolt to the stock 5-speed just fine...

on the 1jz you have to swap EVERYTHING... depends on what you wanna do
tho the 2jz has more aftermarket and will make much more power with boltons... 330 vs 430
Old 05-06-03, 10:56 PM
SDJZZ31
Rookie

there is also really no way for the 1JZ to pass smog.
Old 05-06-03, 11:45 PM
sc31jzgte
Driver School Candidate

Well, i know the 2jz will be the more exciting swap, but also the more expensive. I dont have a budget to speak but i would rather use the couple extra k i save for some bolt on fun.

As for passing smog i live in minnesota where i dont have to pass silly things like smog and emissions tests. Score one for the midwest.

I understand that it wont be carb legal but im ok with that.

Id really like to find a front clip from a soarer so right now thats what i am looking at. Hopefully i will find something thats not too expensive and hopefully everything will go soothly. Ive never really undertook anything like this but i have mechanic friends so hopefully they will find it in there hearts to help me.

Thanks for the info. Im still looking for a good importer, so if anyone knows of one let me know. And of course if you have anything to add please feel free.

Thanks again

Oh and btw what is phils book and where can i get it?

Last edited by sc31jzgte; 05-06-03 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 06:49 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

venus gets the jza70 clips for about $2k with a manual tranny

or you can get the soarer cut for around $1500 with an auto... get a R154 from a MKIII supra turbo, flywheel from suprasports, and use the MKIII clutch and you're good to go
Old 05-07-03, 10:15 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 1JZ is JDM -- good luck getting replacement parts. if you buy a US Spec 2JZGTE and use Phil A.'s manual on the engine swap, you can go to your local toyota dealership and have any part next day.

The big question is, why not just turbo it? Fmax seems cool (yeah, yeah... we all heard the story about the guy who had a friend whose cousin was at the car show where someone saw a Supra w/ a FMAX kit catch of fire!)

if you want the all out kit, save up for the Toyomoto.

Is it me, or do posts just repeat on here?

PS: My information is valid as of last year :-) heh... haven't been on a while eh?
Old 05-07-03, 11:53 PM
sc31jzgte
Driver School Candidate

Well the engine isnt built for a turbo, so basically it will handle less boost as a stock engine. Also a turbo kit will run me 5k+ depending on kit ecu etc. Id rather get an engine built for turbo with a turbo, a twin turbo to be exact.

As for being JDM i am aware that its gonna be diffecult as hell to find parts, but its also difficult fo find a US 2jzgte, and its not cheap when you do find one. I'll keep my eyes open for both. Id like to get a front clip from a soarer, but im open to just about anything. Before i start a big project like this i want to be sure that i have everything i need and do all the reseach.

Id like to avoid getting in over my head, and i also want this car to run really well. This is after all going to be my daily driver.

Once again, thats for all the advice. It shows me things i hadnt thought of yet, such as reliability and accessablitity to parts.

Thanks again and keep it coming!

Last edited by sc31jzgte; 05-07-03 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 09:49 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

this is great info guys, thanx... Im also debating whether or not i should just swap the 1jz or 2jz. But Bean just gave some great news about the 2jzgte being able to bolt directly onto the stock SC 5spd.

Bean: with that new light of info, can i buy a 2jzgte motor from an Aristo or Supra even if it came originally as an Auto transmission and bolt it onto my 5spd SC?
Old 06-14-03, 09:53 AM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

So it is possible to get a 2jzgte with a auto trans, and use the stock sc300 5spd with the 2jzgte ? How hard is it to install a getrag 6spd supra trans into a sc300 ? THanks.
Old 06-14-03, 12:06 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Good luck with a GTE on a SC3 gearbox.... I wouldn't look for it to last too long, especially if you are boost crazy.

Good luck finding a 1J 5sp Soarer cut, noone in Australia seems to be able to find one.

Will the 7MGTE R154 bolt up to the 1JZ? Doubt it, but you can get the Soarer bellhousing for about 400 USD. Then the crossmember... and the driveshaft...

It's a big job, swapping an engine and tranny. If you are worried about getting in over your head, save more, get Phil's book, and do the 2JZ/6sp swap. Being first always sucks.
Old 06-16-03, 06:42 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

i was talking to phil via Email and he says that the 2jzgte will bolt right onto the stock SC 5spd tranny. In terms of the gear box, i think fred is right... it may not hold up to more than 350 hp.
Old 06-22-03, 08:28 AM
jzz30
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Fred Smith

Good luck finding a 1J 5sp Soarer cut, noone in Australia seems to be able to find one.

Will the 7MGTE R154 bolt up to the 1JZ? Doubt it, but you can get the Soarer bellhousing for about 400 USD. Then the crossmember... and the driveshaft...
dunno about melbourne but perth's got quite a few of them.
melville auto imports brought in around 350 of the JZA70 1JZ 5 speed supra, so theres quite a few cuts going around.
point is they're probably hens teeth in USA

as far as i've heard your right with the R154.

hopefully i'll be putting in a R154 in my GT-t 1JZ to get rid of this slushbox!

Last edited by jzz30; 06-22-03 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 03:16 PM
riot8088
Rookie

Everyone says the 1jz won't pass smog, but won't the jdm 2jz-gte not pass either?
Old 04-20-05, 07:22 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fred Smith
Good luck with a GTE on a SC3 gearbox.... I wouldn't look for it to last too long, especially if you are boost crazy.
Nonsense.. alot of people do it. It will hold all the power the stock twins will make.

Well the engine isnt built for a turbo, so basically it will handle less boost as a stock engine.
The ge motor handles boost just fine. Lower the compression and boost away.. they are holding their own.

Quick Reply: 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte which is the easier swap?