Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Preventative Maintenance Before Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 08:26 AM
wadge22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventative Maintenance Before Engine Replacement

So I'm looking to replace the 2JZ GE in my 1993 SC300 5spd with a lower mileage scrapyard engine. The engine in the car has rod nock, and I've decided that if I'm going to the trouble of pulling the engine, it's probably going to be cheaper, easier, and more reassuring to just replace it with a "new" one that I know was running well before it was pulled. The engines I'm looking at have anywhere from 110,000 to 150,000 miles, and the person who will be helping me with the job trusts the yard we would be getting it from enough that I'm fairly sure it will be in good shape.

So what I'm looking for is confirmation on what parts I should replace on the "new" one before I put it in. I've done some searching, but with common terms like "engine" and "replace," it's tough to get relevant results.

Heres what I'm looking at:

Drive belt
Thermostat
Oil pump
Timing set (w/ water pump and hydraulic tensioner)
Gasket set (planning on ordering this "DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS FGS9044 ", not sure what all I'll need from it but I'd like to be ready with new gaskets for anything I pull)
Clutch kit (chose the LuK RepSet, I'm open to input on that choice)
Motor mounts x2
Trans Mount
Distributor rotor
Distributor cap
Spark plugs (Denso Irridium Long-Life)
Spark plug wires

I tried to attach a PDF of the parts list from Rockauto, not sure if it will work. Any info anyone has on specific suppliers, especially if anyone's used this gasket kit before (does it include main seals?), would be great.

My plans for the car are daily driver with possibly a few track days a year. Really just want it to be back to reliable stock condition.

Any input is appreciated. I'm not exactly an experienced mechanic, although my helper knows her stuff and I'm a good learner and I can do things carefully.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lexuspartslist5-21-16.pdf (162.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 05-24-16, 10:15 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like a good list. I would add in some new vacuum hose for odds and ends along with the brake booster hose as well. They get old and crack pretty easily. While you are at it, some new radiator hoses would be a good cheap addition.

While some things may not be engine related, look around for any random leaks that you can address with the engine out. Check for power steering leaks since it makes life so much easier to replace those hoses/rack/etc while the engine is out. Just something to think about.
Old 05-24-16, 01:47 PM
wadge22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks vipsoarer. Where in Ohio? I'm in Akron/Cfalls.

The radiator hoses weren't too much, like you said, so I threw them in the cart.

I'm having a hard time with search finding what sizes of vacuum hoses to order. quite a few people ask that question but nobody answers it directly. I guess I'll either measure my current ones and post that info here, or more likely forget and then end up paying more to buy them at autozone the weekend I do the job.

Still not sure if front main, rear main, and cam seals are in that gasket kit from rockauto. I'll probably call them before I place the order.

Still don't have any feedback on the Luk clutch kit. I'm not going for real performance, so I bet it'll be fine for me, but if anyone has personal experience I'd love to hear it. I know most of the members here probably have performance clutches, anyhow.