Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

gte/big single - fuel upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 08:15 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts
Default gte/big single - fuel upgrade help

what are you guys running in the rear section for the fuel pump upgrade? i've done close to a dozen fuel system upgrades on supras so the front 1/2 is easy-but the "fuel cell" in the sc is much different. my question is if you are running twin pumps in the tank how are you routing the 2nd feed line? or do you use a single external pump w/ -10 hose & remove the 'feed' pipe inside the tank? just looking for ideas on what works & to keep the b.s. level low - thanks for sugestions
Old 04-30-03, 06:15 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the write-up that I did of my setup awhile back ... it cause some controversy as to whether or not it would work .. but it seems to be working just fine

The fuel pumps proved to be a little pain, so I am going to give a small description as to how it is setup in case anyone is attempting this. Since we had 2 pumps, decided to mount them together, so they are in the position of where the factory pump was, they are ziptied together with like 6 ties.

We eliminated all of the emissions stuff, so we were able to use that to our advantage with running fuel lines. Each fuel pump has its own feed line. The original feed line remained a feed line for pump #1. The original return line became the feed line for pump #2. Then we used the old line for emissions that went to the charcoal cannister as the return line. So there are 2 feed lines and 1 return line.

One of the feed lines goes directly to the fuel rail. The other one goes into the Aeromotive FPR, which then goes to the rail.

The one feed line goes to the inlet of the FPR, the return line goes back to the tank, and the outlet goes to the rail. Reason being ... at least this is what we are figuring on... When there is low demand for fuel, the fuel going through the FPR will just recirculate back and the car will be basically just using the fuel from one pump. When the fuel pressure drops and there is higher demand for fuel, it will then use the 2nd pump.
Old 04-30-03, 07:38 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

angle thanx for the idea on using the stock steel lines instead of playing w/ AN fittings & braided hose for the #2 pump. did you do the 12v mod on your fuel pump computer? it helps w/ fuel starvation when the turbo 1st comes on line. also ive been putting a piece of hose split in 1/2 between the pumps (so they don't touch each other) , wrapping the whole mess w/that powerhouse pump wrap & tieing them together w/ 3 ss rad hose clamps - just a thought in case your ever in the tank again
john
Old 05-01-03, 09:05 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not familiar with the 12v mod for the fuel computer ... we had to totally bypass the whole fuel computer because my car would start up, run for a few seconds and then shut down the fuel pumps ... so we just shorted right by it

Thanks for the suggestion with separating the pumps a bit.. but we hope to not get into the tank again Good luck