Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I need to know the truth

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 08:38 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need to know the truth

So today I was down at the local stereo place and I see a guy who I haven't seen in a while, and i remember he is a car GURU, and he starts askin me about the SC4. He said he was going to buy a 300 a lil while ago and do the 2jz-gte swap and TT it. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I say "sounded" because when I told him I was a little dissapointed in the aftermarket support of the 1uz-fe, he said there was a Greddy TT kit that was being tested. He said not many knew about it, and when i called him on it, he claimed to have seen it and know people who have tested it. He didn't say the 1uz, but specifically the SC400. I doubted him but let it go. i figured the best way to clear all this up was...well, ask the pros! I think i smell BS, but just let me know what you guys all know about this, and i hope it is true because wishful thinking never hurt anyone.

James
Old 04-28-03, 08:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

TT for the 400? OUCH! (haven't got a clue).
Old 04-28-03, 08:58 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This subject has been beat to death over and over again. Too expensive. Its getting cheaper to turbo an SC3. With an SC4, you have to put in an LSD, new custom drive line, have your tranny revalved, new torque converter, PLUS any motor mod. TT kits are reserved for the one off cars that are custom made but cost boat loads.
Old 04-28-03, 09:07 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Yea, i'm aware of the controversy and the frequency of this, but its the only TT kit for the SC4 that i've ever heard of. I mean come on, the GS4 and the LS4 got em, so why not us?

James
Old 04-29-03, 12:19 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Too impractical to be true. There is extremely limited space in our engine bay for all the necessary hardware required in a production twin turbo kit---a supercharger would be a more practical business move if GReddy were to consider FI. Designing a massmarket TT kit for the SC400 is just a headache everyone wants to avoid. The TT piping would be a huge maze of ****, especially if it were intercooled, just like it is on the SRT GS400 TT kits, which incidentally cost 40 Gs for those willing to pay it.

Where's the demand? Aside from a handful of CL enthusiests, GReddy couldn't sell 10 of these kits a year, worldwide, if they pushed them off the shelves. No profit, no motive. Wishful thinking, but I think your friend the guru just likes to hear himself talk. I doubt he has the inside scoop on a top secret project for a low-key car like the SC400. If you want forced induction, there is already a supercharger out there waiting for you to buy it. Slap it on, take off, and forget about this GReddy nonsense.
Old 04-29-03, 04:04 AM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by lex400sc
Too impractical to be true. There is extremely limited space in our engine bay for all the necessary hardware......... If you want forced induction, there is already a supercharger out there waiting for you to buy it. Slap it on, take off, and forget about this GReddy nonsense.

I agree.....

but which s/c are you referring to that is ready? The one from our friends down under?

thanks buddy

edit:
I see that this is from the FAT team in Au

thanks man

Last edited by legendary; 04-29-03 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-29-03, 05:53 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

he was probably talking about this one... http://www.mechtech-ms.com/html/turbo.html
Old 04-29-03, 07:40 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I seriously doubt it.

People do a lot of talking and confuse "It would be cool if...." with "I'd like to purchase..."

I started to TT mine (buying parts, designed on paper) a few months ago but my Nissan is priority 1 at this time. I have 2 T3's and 2 T4's that purchased after the T3's...upgrade before the project even started...stooopid Emerald

I'll keep the T4s, since I tend to change my mind a lot (when it comes to cars/mods) But Brand new T3's i'll sell ya if you wanna try it but Id suggest making friends with a good tuner and Exhaust facility first. LoL!!

lex400sc pretty much said it all
Old 04-30-03, 07:59 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Default Come on

I know alot of "Gurus" that know NOTHING!!!! Lets really look at what he said... He is saying that Greddy (huge huge company) just decided to build a turbo for a car that has been out of production for several years now...Where is the profit in that??? And like previously mentioned the kit would be a mess to install... Greddy builds some great bolt on kits for civics, eclipse, etc... but a SC400??.. Come on that would definetly not be a day job in the drive way with hand tools...Greddy has there R&D people working overtime on the kits for new cars like 350Zs...I would like to step out of line here and SCREAM Bull****....
Old 04-30-03, 11:26 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Come on

Originally posted by Tommyd1919
I know alot of "Gurus" that know NOTHING!!!! Lets really look at what he said... He is saying that Greddy (huge huge company) just decided to build a turbo for a car that has been out of production for several years now...Where is the profit in that??? And like previously mentioned the kit would be a mess to install... Greddy builds some great bolt on kits for civics, eclipse, etc... but a SC400??.. Come on that would definetly not be a day job in the drive way with hand tools...Greddy has there R&D people working overtime on the kits for new cars like 350Zs...I would like to step out of line here and SCREAM Bull****....
Yea, I know wat you're saying, but hes gonna install my whole multi media system so i'm not gonna scream anything in his face. He'd probably screw me over or somethin, so i'm cool with it, because i know how it really is now. Thanks

James