Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Earl Fittings.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 11:05 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earl Fittings.....

I noticed a lot of the Turbo guys use Earl's Fittings with their oil feed/oil return, fuel lines, etc...

I must be a total newbie to these, but how the h%ll do you take those off or put them on without scratching them? I think I have to redo my oil return line because its all scratched up from taking it off...anyone wanna tell me the secret?? Pppplllleeaaassseeee

Last edited by TRDSupraSE; 04-21-03 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-22-03, 12:02 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehhe... I feel your pain. You lay down god knows how much cash for all those pretty blue and red fitting only to score them upon installation. I don't have the magic answer and I've screwed up many, but last time around I just used an adjustable wrench and a vise. I wrapped several layers of electrical tape around the fitting itself (probably 3 times around), then applied 3 layers of electrical tape to each vise jaw and each wrench end. It came out pretty well, but still left a few small marks. I hear that those special aluminum wrenches that they sell don't do a good job, either. Good luck!
Old 04-22-03, 07:43 AM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

dude....there has to be a way, b/c before I messed them up, they looked pretty unscathed I tried the electric tape thing too, didn't work at all for me...but I only put on like 2 layers of tape. Anyways, I'm thinking there is an adjustable wrench out there that has rubber ends on it to protect things like this...if not, then I guess I'm going to have to invent it dammit..I'll be a millionaire b/c everyone I talked to also scratches them up while installing. I looked at gadgetSC's install and his looks pretty clean...I hope he chimes in on this
Old 04-22-03, 06:43 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey sammy, the scratches are there just small. I knew they would scratch so I was extra careful. I still have some small scratches though. dont know the magic trick.

gadgetSC-t
Old 04-22-03, 07:46 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use a socket wrench with a long socket and rubber lining they're used for spark plugs occaisionally too
Old 04-22-03, 09:11 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

I think you can get wrenches made of the same material and with the same finish to avoid scratches. Or, you can do as I would and what the other guys said and tape up your wrench.
Old 04-24-03, 09:33 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Easiest is to get custom lines. Pre-measure what you need and go to a local aerospace or fitting shop and order the exact lenght and size you need. Secondly, use clothes or tape around the fitting and dont over tighten.

Last edited by Lextreme; 04-24-03 at 09:34 AM.