Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What do you regret NOT doing during your first serious standalone tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-16, 07:45 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What do you regret NOT doing during your first serious standalone tune?

Hi,
I am getting my first real tune this weekend. I have no idea what to request/suggest.
It's an AEM V2, going into an SC300 NA/T R154, Comp 6767 setup.
The plan is a street tune that ends on the dyno.
Is there anything specific I should ask for or look for outside of healthy AFR's and start/driveability?

I know there are tons of potential features, what are the "must have's"?

What do you regret NOT doing during your first serious tune?

Thanks.
-----------------------------------------
PS: It should be nice and healthy. A shop installed heated O2, new hoses, new plugs, sealed and braced the manifold, installed the AEM/sensors, did a boost leak test and replaced hose zip ties. Id guess he removed the necessary stuff (EBC, SAFC etc.) already. I probably should have done fuel/E85 setup now but I need to stop spending money. Ill see what the limits of pump/stock FPR are this week...

Last edited by Studiogeek; 02-20-16 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-20-16, 02:14 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

What size injectors do you have?
Old 02-20-16, 05:37 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
What size injectors do you have?
DeatchWerks 1000's
Old 02-20-16, 05:46 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Only street tuned it today. Dyno on Monday. Feels amazing so far.
Old 02-20-16, 07:15 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who is doing the tune?
Old 02-20-16, 08:50 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Who is doing the tune?
Wayne "Speed" Blair did it. Dyno on Monday to finish it up.

Are you near NYC, or North?
Old 02-22-16, 07:52 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Im on Staten Island. NYC area.
Old 02-23-16, 03:40 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Im on Staten Island. NYC area.
Who are the tuners that you trust here in NYC?

If i am not happy, I will be looking to find someone else immediately.

Thanks
Old 02-23-16, 06:18 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

My last tuner was Vinny Ten out in Long Island but that was YEARS ago and on my 350z. Good guy.

I do all my own AEM tuning right now on the SC but my inexperience shows. The tune is very rough and varies greatly with temperature so I really need to have someone clean it up. I had a bad experience with RIP Mods on Staten Island so I can comfortably say "NO" to them but I don't know anyone good personally.
Old 02-24-16, 03:27 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You guys should reach out to alpha from induction performance. He fly to NYC often to do group tunes. He's one of the 10 best tuners probably in the world. Look him up

My coupe has been tuned by him since 2008 and his expertise has kept my original stock bottom end alive since then on aem v1 on 93 octane
Old 02-24-16, 05:39 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

My last tuner was Vinny Ten out in Long Island but that was YEARS ago and on my 350z. Good guy.

I do all my own AEM tuning right now on the SC but my inexperience shows. The tune is very rough and varies greatly with temperature so I really need to have someone clean it up. I had a bad experience with RIP Mods on Staten Island so I can comfortably say "NO" to them but I don't know anyone good personally.
I have been talking to Vinny for a few months. He lost some tuners so he is way behind and not returning calls....

Originally Posted by lexforlife
You guys should reach out to alpha from induction performance. He fly to NYC often to do group tunes. He's one of the 10 best tuners probably in the world. Look him up

My coupe has been tuned by him since 2008 and his expertise has kept my original stock bottom end alive since then on aim v1 on 93 octane
I have been emailing back and forth with Alpha. The price and distance scared me a bit but now that I see my guy is going to take several visits, I will bail and call Alpha if I am not happy by the next visit. He is coming up next month. You have to pay his fee, dyno and part of his expenses. I kinda' wish I had waited for him already....
I wanted a guy that was a short drive away after hiring a builder several hours away......
Old 02-24-16, 09:54 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Alpha is not cheap by far but if you want a complete top notch tune and a tune to protect your investment, he's the guy.. he's one of the only tuners I know that if there's a issue on the dyno and their always are , he's the first guy to roll up his sleeves and figure it out .. also remember, he's not only a tuner but builder as well who knows what to give a jz motor and how far to push.

Let me put it this way , last time I've needed a tune was 2010. I've been at 600rwhp on 93oct since then and haven't had to re tune since then .. I actually daily drive my car without issues
Old 02-24-16, 10:43 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

not getting the best tuner for the kind of ECU you have is the biggest mistake one can do.

An ECU is only as good as the person who tunes it... period ! Alpha is one of the best in the world period.. no doubt .

In my opinion though , if I can get a good tuner of my ECU that is near to me , I will settle for the one near to me just because it is easier for support later on. Like it may eventually need some tweaking or something goes wrong with one of the components and need some re tune if other components are installed and affects the tune. If the ECU is locked by the tuner then it cannot be touched by anybody else but the original tuner . If it is locked and original tuner is not easily available and you cannot wait for his availability since he is far away then you need to erase his old tune and start all over again .. a fresh new tune / map if somebody else would work on your car. Take note that many tuners lock the ECUs after tuning.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-24-16 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 11:19 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexforlife
Alpha is not cheap by far but if you want a complete top notch tune and a tune to protect your investment, he's the guy.. he's one of the only tuners I know that if there's a issue on the dyno and their always are , he's the first guy to roll up his sleeves and figure it out .. also remember, he's not only a tuner but builder as well who knows what to give a jz motor and how far to push.

Let me put it this way , last time I've needed a tune was 2010. I've been at 600rwhp on 93oct since then and haven't had to re tune since then .. I actually daily drive my car without issues
So tempting. I wish I didn't spend the money already. I may do it anyway.

Originally Posted by gerrb
not getting the best tuner for the kind of ECU you have is the biggest mistake one can do.

An ECU is only as good as the person who tunes it... period ! Alpha is one of the best in the world period.. no doubt .

In my opinion though , if I can get a good tuner of my ECU that is near to me , I will settle for the one near to me just because it is easier for support later on. Like it may eventually need some tweaking or something goes wrong with one of the components and need some re tune if other components are installed and affects the tune. If the ECU is locked by the tuner then it cannot be touched by anybody else but the original tuner . If it is locked and original tuner is not easily available and you cannot wait for his availability since he is far away then you need to erase his old tune and start all over again .. a fresh new tune / map if somebody else would work on your car. Take note that many tuners lock the ECUs after tuning.
That is why I went local. The guy I chose has been doing it forever and is popular with the racers. He did not lock the tune. He put it on my laptop.
Old 02-24-16, 12:21 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
So tempting. I wish I didn't spend the money already. I may do it anyway.

That is why I went local. The guy I chose has been doing it forever and is popular with the racers. He did not lock the tune. He put it on my laptop.
No offense meant to any tuner but that for me is the best . After all you have paid for the services .. the tuning. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the tuner if it was locked. What if he is not anymore available ... you are doomed. You are going to start from zero on tuning if ever you need any tweaking or re-tuning.

Quick Reply: What do you regret NOT doing during your first serious standalone tune?