Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What do you regret NOT doing during your first serious standalone tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 12:27 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

These days remote tuning is where its at. But guys keep in mind , once tuned , it doesn't change unless you change to different turbo , cams etc my tune hasn't changed in 6 years , that's right 6 yeas ..

Even if something goes amiss , a tuner like alpha doesn't have to be there , you can book time on the dyno and let him work hos magic remotely, he's that damn good and I've known him personally since 2008
Old 02-24-16, 01:02 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

I understand the fact of remote tuning , any tuner can do that as long as your car is in the dyno and have internet.. but in my opinion... nothing better than the tuner being physically in your car being able to see or experience the problem you are trying to describe.

again I have nothing against any tuner .. it is just that physical presence and not being tied at the mercy of a particular tuner by it being locked is something I will always consider.

A good example... a friend of mine , got his car tuned one summer.. winter comes it takes forever to start . It needs tweaking. He is 2450 miles away from the tuner . Then the damn turbo konked out and being an old model turbo had to be replaced by a totally different turbo and consequently its exhaust downpipe / midpipe ... He has to wait for the original tuner since his ecu was locked. He couldn't wait so got it tuned by another tuner so all his past tuning costs goes down the drain instead of it just being tweaked and needing only an hour or two on the dyno. When an ECU is locked you are at the mercy of the tuner which I personally would never go to a tuner who locks the ECU. Sorry ... I won't be held hostage on my own car and ECU. One may say once it is tuned that's it.. it may not always be the case. What if a month or a week or days after a component fails ?

I repeat , just my $0.02 and no offense meant to any one. I say this base on what I hear from experiences of people I know whose ECU had been locked by tuners who are thousands of miles away.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-24-16 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 05:53 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a tough call.
You are likely to have the experience Lex describes. This is how reputations are built.

There is also a chance that what Gerrb describes could happen.

I may wind up with this tune I already paid for (totally unlocked) as a backup and get an "Alpha" tune he should have a copy of should I have to resort to my backup tune until I see him.

Years safely at 600 on the same tune is really calling me.....
Old 02-25-16, 12:42 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would give the local guy a shot first since he already started, by now alot of people are familiar with a 2jz motor although a little less with the na-t setups. I would think Alpha would lock the file and as good as the tune will be I don't like to have mine locked either, I like to be able to plug in the laptop and tweak things but some people like to just set it and forget it then it doesn't matter that much till you change something big like Gerrb mentioned.
Old 02-26-16, 08:28 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Studiogeek - keep us posted on the tune and your local source. I am in the market for an EMS and will need someone reputable and local, being from NYC.
Old 02-26-16, 04:16 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
Studiogeek - keep us posted on the tune and your local source. I am in the market for an EMS and will need someone reputable and local, being from NYC.
Full report to follow my friend. We have to diagnose a strange problem before finishing the tune. It is shutting down at about 20lbs of boost. Up to 21LBS, It's a BEAST! :thumb:

ALISC3, You know I did. Thanks!