Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Piston needs replacing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 06:50 PM
gib303
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston needs replacing

I recently picked up a 2jzge from a 94 gs300 for upcoming swap. The plan was to refresh the engine and replace all gaskets and maintenance parts. The engine will stay n/a for now but will see low boost in the future. After Pulling the head 5 of 6 pistons looked great, but number six is a mess. It looks like either electrode from a plug or something at one time broke off and had been playing ping pong with the head and the piston. The head will be replaced completely (at no cost) and i will need a new piston. There is wear on the cylinder wall and it may have to be bored. I will be taking the block to the machinist to see what can be done and what size over they will need to take it.

What this all boils down to is I will need new over sized pistons if the block is bored and in my current budget it does not allow me to go with forged pistons. With the high chance that of needing over sized pistons, I am only finding a OE name brand called DNJ. Has anybody used them on a rebuild? Does anybody have any other non forged pistons to recommend?
Attached Thumbnails Piston needs replacing-img_20160216_201516.jpg  
Old 02-16-16, 10:18 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

That's crazy. Ask the shop for the size and type of Pistons needed unless they can get them for you.
Old 02-17-16, 01:41 PM
gib303
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the grooves on the walls can catch your finger nail and even the slim chance it could be bored and honed with new pistons, it will actually cost more then what I paid for the engine. I contacted the place in GA that I purchased the engine and they have another that they will swap out. So what I learned from all this is? Get a bore scope / inspection cam and look in the cylinders when not able to compression test.

In the case someone needs over sized non forged pistons for a non vvti, this is what I found. One of the most common brands I found was DNJ and it looks like the piston is made by Rock Pistons, it is part number P944. The offer pistons for both GE and GTE and I found sizes of standard 86mm and .020" over. I have not found any feed back for these pistons for a 2jz but did see some in the DSM forums. There is a kit that is on amazon by evergreen products. The kit comes with pistons and rings, and it looks like the rings are NPR. When cross referencing the kit with other locations it seems the pistons are Nippon also, but I cant confirm this. I was only able to find the set in stand size 86mm and .020" over (86.5mm). The kit was for a GE.

I hope the info helps someone. If anybody knows the OE manufacture for the pistons that Toyota outsourced to that would be great.