Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question about hydraulic TOB clearance on a w58 sc400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 08:14 AM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about hydraulic TOB clearance on a w58 sc400?

So I've decided to ditch the clutch fork and slave cylinder on my conversion kit because they interfere with the catalytic converter's position (can't even bolt up the bellhousing without a slave on, it's that bad. gonna have to grind off the mount point for the slave cylinder sadly) and I'll be going for a hydraulic howe setup. I've already ordered a toyota style round face release bearing for it, but I'm kind of curious about something.. exactly how much space do I need between the bearing fully retracted, and the fingers of the pressure plate? Sorry if this is a dumb question but this is my first venture into hydraulic throwout bearings and I want to do it right

Also I've heard alot of mixed opinions on the howe bearing.. should I consider another option in the future or is all the negativity coming from people who set it up incorrectly leading to the piston overextending and leaking?

EDIT: I should mention that I am using a 5/8 master cylinder with what I believe is a 1" stroke and I just found specifics on my TOB, it states that I should have 1/16" clearance, should I put it a bit closer or will the 5/8 master cylinder provide enough travel? I know there's plenty of people who have used a howe TOB on their sc400 manual swaps so I'm sure someone can provide some input on this.

Last edited by Kobrakai; 02-14-16 at 08:40 AM.